Buggy rental on my own

MANDMTRAVEL

We rented a car with Avis in December at the Puerta Maya pier. We had it reserved and were on our way within 15 minutes. No problems with anything. We also have another car reserved for our return trip in May. I would probably reserve ahead of time just for the ease.

I would wait. There are places that rent VW buggies and if available you can rent there. I don't think the major car rentals have dune buggies but you may wish to rent a convertible or a jeep and can do so on line before arriving.

Please read the posts on this board regarding renting cars, scooters, etc.

Lots of horror tales, which may dissuade you. However, they each offer lessons:

1) Buy the Mexican Insurance including liability and collision insurance. Mexico is NOT an no-fault insurance country. Police require all parties involved in accidents, whether or not at fault to produce proper insurance or risk a trip to the pokey.

2) Have a designated driver, someone eligible to drive and who is not drinking alcohol at all.

3) Inspect the vehicle prior to signing/accepting the vehicle and make sure the rental agency / owner acknowledges any damage or non-working functions in writing on your contract before leaving the lot. If they don't/won't , walk away.

4) get a good map of the island that shows where attractions you may wish to see or places where you may wish to stop. Island is basically one main road circling the island, but in San Miguel, there are one way streets and avenues plus parks and plazas that break up the grid.

5) Have fun:D

I would wait. There are places that rent VW buggies and if available you can rent there. I don't think the major car rentals have dune buggies but you may wish to rent a convertible or a jeep and can do so on line before arriving.

1) Buy the Mexican Insurance including liability and collision insurance. Mexico is NOT an no-fault insurance country. Police require all parties involved in accidents, whether or not at fault to produce proper insurance or risk a trip to the pokey.

Thanks!!! I remember reading some of the horror stories. That might be one of the reasons I am not sure about how to rent these.

2) Have a designated driver, someone eligible to drive and who is not drinking alcohol at all.

3) Inspect the vehicle prior to signing/accepting the vehicle and make sure the rental agency / owner acknowledges any damage or non-working functions in writing on your contract before leaving the lot. If they don't/won't , walk away.

4) get a good map of the island that shows where attractions you may wish to see or places where you may wish to stop. Island is basically one main road circling the island, but in San Miguel, there are one way streets and avenues plus parks and plazas that break up the grid.

5) Have fun:D

Agree with Crew and would add, in case of accident be sure you have access to plenty of cash. We wouldn't risk it, especially on a cruise ship day where time is of the essence, but plenty do and you will probably be OK.

With regards safety, I have never felt "unsafe" anywhere on Cozumel but if you are talking about the vehicle, I guess the bigger the vehicle the better but maintenance can be iffy.

All accurate advice from crewsweeper.

Renting a convertible VW or similar at ISIS is just ~$35 or so and includes all insurance except the tire and glass, and the road service, which is a little extra. ISIS is a very reputable outfit located just a couple blocks in from the ferry dock. You can reserve through their site and can cancel if a problem with the ship, they charge your card when you pick up the vehicle. You can rent when you arrive but it will take longer and they may not have the vehicle you want as many frequent land visitors also rent from them. They also have an office in Playa Del Carmen and are very popular.

No need for extra cash except for the places you stop and for gas, and you don't need a bigger vehicle than you need. You may want the roadside assistance option to have more security. They may also include a cooler if you request that ahead of time, but the driver should be a DD or not drink much as anywhere else.

But a very and enjoyable experience! The drive along the west coast and especially the east coast is very nice, gorgeous views and spots to stop for lunch. The highway is in great shape, no hills or sharp turns, just watch out for crossing crabs! :p

[EDIT] Check the Coz forum on TripAdvisor for other rental car outfit recommendations from the experts there, there are others that are reputable. It sounds like Maldenmusic also had a good experience with Avis. But stay away from the very low-priced quotes if you see them as they tack on the insurance, taxes, and fees later. Alamo does that in Cancun.

Can vouch for Rentadora ISIS as well. My brother and I rented cars from them a couple years ago and there were no issues. both cost what their site said they would cost (about 35.00 per day including insurance which, as stated, you want). Don't recall any dune buggies for rent, but they do have convertible VW bugs (the convertible looked DIY). They will all be manual transmission and reasonably beat to hell which is either a turn-off or a huge selling point, depending on your particular perspective.