2 banks of elevators, 3 sets of stairs?

cruisestitch

does it look like there will be a set of stairs for passenger use between the two sets of elevators?

I've seen that on the deck plan as well, and honestly I think it's crew stairs that they forgot to white-out on the deck plan. Of course who knows? We probably won't know for sure until the first cruise.

How about the 4th set of stairs just forward of the forward elevators from decks 6-10? I'm assuming that's another crew stairway.

Yup me too. Based on all the recent Celebrity and Royal Caribbean designs, plus the new TUI ships, its two stair towers and elevator sets. I wish it was more but this seems to be trend RCCL is going with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen that on the deck plan as well, and honestly I think it's crew stairs that they forgot to white-out on the deck plan. Of course who knows? We probably won't know for sure until the first cruise.

I would not assume that the aft set of stairs are crew only at all. I would think, for safety reasons if no other, that they need to have egress for aft passengers.

I would not assume that the aft set of stairs are crew only at all. I would think, for safety reasons if no other, that they need to have egress for aft passengers.

In an emergency passengers will be able to use crew stairs if necessary. This is no different than all the other new Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships that do not have an aft staircase for normal passenger use.

In an emergency passengers will be able to use crew stairs if necessary. This is no different than all the other new Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships that do not have an aft staircase for normal passenger use.

If the MDR is located aft, then I also can not imagine them making passengers whose cabin is aft walk forward only to go down several decks to walk back aft.

If the MDR is located aft, then I also can not imagine them making passengers whose cabin is aft walk forward only to go down several decks to walk back aft.

Nothing regarding dining has been announced so we don't even know if there will be one large MDR, or several smaller outlets, or some completely new dining concept? I'm guessing whatever it is, the dining venues will be located just off the more midship to slightly aft stair tower/elevators, with the galleys situated behind it. This would be in keeping with the trend of the Radiance Class, Oasis Class, Quantum Class, and Solstice Class ... all of which have only two stair towers and elevator sets for passengers. One forward, and one more midship. If you are in an aft cabin on any of these classes of ships, you have to walk forward a distance to the nearest stairs and elevators. I'm betting EDGE will be the same.

My take on it, and of course we won't know until we see it in person, is that if it shows on the deck plans, it's for passenger use, because there are crew elevators and crew stairs on ships that are never part of the passenger deck plans. They are within the mysterious white areas.

My take on it, and of course we won't know until we see it in person, is that if it shows on the deck plans, it's for passenger use, because there are crew elevators and crew stairs on ships that are never part of the passenger deck plans. They are within the mysterious white areas.

Probably not in this case. I'm guessing it's more likely that whomever was charged with publishing the deck plans may not have been sure themselves which areas to white out and which to show as public, or they were just not focused on that aspect of the deck plan. Not surprising with an entirely new class of ship.

Here is a good example to back up that theory. Here is a forward section of the deck plan for CELEBRITY EDGE. You can clearly see two staircases shown, almost back to to back with each other. There is no way both staircases are for passenger use. Obviously the stairs shown by the elevators are for passengers, and the more forward staircase that doesn't show any elevators (but they probably exist) is almost certainly a crew staircase. Whomever was responsible for publishing the public version of the deck plans either overlooked it, or wasn't sure themselves. At this point I'm sure the primary focus was just making sure all the cabins and categories were correct so the ship could be opened up for bookings. The deck plans may end up being more refined and corrected as time goes on, or maybe not.

33266369840_b9be122128_o.png

This plan is from RADIANCE OF THE SEAS. It's of the aft section and clearly shows a staircase by cabin 8641. When this class of ship made its debut, there was the same speculation that this staircase might be for passengers. It isn't. It's a crew only staircase and the only time you can use it is for the emergency drill. To this day it still appears on the deck plan even though it's not for passenger use. Royal Caribbean never bothered to update or change the deck plan.

32836823523_f4296ca3b1_o.png

In the case of EDGE, no aft staircase is shown on the deck plan. The mystery staircase that is being discussed is one more midship.

You mean like Princess? Oh wait, Princess doesn't inconvenience the aft cabins -- just everybody else.