Hey...I have an idea to make people feel happier

I know the topic of the "free at sea" promotions that are not free (and some are not even at sea) has been beaten to death....but I have an idea.

I booked a GTY balcony just for myself on my lonesome so it wasn't worth the up-charge to pay for the "free" at sea. Then I convinced my niece and partner in crime to go with me, so all of a sudden, it was worth the extra $300.00 in fare to get the "free" at sea. Of course, if you choose the drink package, it isn't really just the $300.00, it is close to $500 by the time you add the beverage service charge.

Now, I knew all about it, and had done the math and figured that, much to our discredit, we can easily get $250.00 per person worth out of the beverage package alone, regardless of which thing I paired it with. $250.00 is only 25 $10.00 drinks, and on a cruise with 3 at sea days and some so so ports, I don't think that is an issue. Don't judge me, but I can probably start to be drinking on NCL's money by our second sea day between sail away drinks, sodas and what not. Lots of what not.

So this is not about the cost of the free at sea...it is about the way it is presented. Instead of posting the fares that don't include the "free at sea" what if you only posted the fares that did, and when you got to the page where you select which free at sea option you want have a "$300.00 off the fare" option.

It seems to me it would be more fun to get $300.00 off than being told to pay $300.00 for something that is free.

Of course my dad and my husband would both say "What difference does it make, you are still paying the same amount?" But I think it would make people happier to choose an option of saving rather than be charged to get something for free.

I am a firm believer in WYSIWYG. So there would be NO DSC and NO tipping on board; the price quoted covers it all. If something is offered FREE then it is totally free no 18%. There should be no need to "bribe" someone with special offers; if you like the price of the cruise buy it; if not look elsewhere. No hidden costs.

Similarly the price of items in shops would be what you pay, no added taxes at the till.

But, of course, I come from a country where tipping is uncommon except for foreigners who do it.

I don't get the people who say "it's an extra $300 in fare" to get the "free at sea". That is so not the case. Whether or not free at sea existed there would still be GTY cabins and such that would be cheaper. All NCL is doing is applying the free at sea to certain cabin categories. If you so happen to choose one of those cabin categories then you get to pick a free at sea offer. It's really as simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the people who say "it's an extra $300 in fare" to get the "free at sea". That is so not the case. Whether or not free at sea existed there would still be GTY cabins and such that would be cheaper. All NCL is doing is applying the free at sea to certain cabin categories. If you so happen to choose one of those cabin categories then you get to pick a free at sea offer. It's really as simple as that.

But can I get a NON-Guarantee cabin at a lower price if I don't want to take part in the "Free-At-Sea" system?

I am still in a GTY Balcony...all that changed is I am not a BX but a BF. No cabin assigned, I just know it will be a BF or better, which is what I knew when it was a BX. So, yes, all the 300 did was get me the "free at sea".

Edited by FitchburgWIFamily
correcting cabin category

I am still in a GTY Balcony...all that changed is I am not a BX but a BF. No cabin assigned, I just know it will be a BF or better, which is what I knew when it was a BX. So, yes, all the 300 did was get me the "free at sea".

A BF guarantee is not the same as a BX guarantee. With the BX guarantee you can be assigned to any balcony cabin...with the BF guarantee, you can not be assigned to any of the BX balcony cabins.

A BF guarantee is not the same as a BX guarantee. With the BX guarantee you can be assigned to any balcony cabin...with the BF guarantee, you can not be assigned to any of the BX balcony cabins.

I am pretty sure the X in BX is an X like in Algebra now: you are going to get a B something cabin. A BX GTY means you are getting a Balcony or better cabin. BF is the least expensive type of balcony cabin. So a BX and a BF GTY means you are getting a Balcony or better cabin.

I know that on some ships BX was its own cabin class (only 4 of them on the ship) but the definition for them now is a GTY balcony: essentially a BF or better.

I am pretty sure the X in BX is an X like in Algebra now: you are going to get a B something cabin. A BX GTY means you are getting a Balcony or better cabin. BF is the least expensive type of balcony cabin. So a BX and a BF GTY means you are getting a Balcony or better cabin.

I know that on some ships BX was its own cabin class (only 4 of them on the ship) but the definition for them now is a GTY balcony: essentially a BF or better.

So you know that BX is a real cabin category but still you think that X just represents unknown. O_o

BX and GTY are not the same even though for most passengers booking guarantee balcony cabins those two are combined. The descriptions on NCL website for X subcategories are worded like they are just because it is easier to understand for that majority of people who never see X subcategory cabins available.

Any cabin category can be offered as GTY (although full suites usually don't come available as GTYs or often it is a glitch), for example I have booked an OA GTY once. So BX GTY is not the same as BF GTY, even in theory.

But can I get a NON-Guarantee cabin at a lower price if I don't want to take part in the "Free-At-Sea" system?

My exact words were "GTY cabin and such". If you can show me a way to get the exact same cabin with and without the free at sea for two different prices (not including the 18% gratuity) then I would be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Lululemon charges $150 for leggings. Jimmy Choo pumps are 40% off and are still $350.00. BOGO sales these days are almost always Buy One Get One half off. Why don't they just say 25% off if you buy two? BOGO used to be buy one get one free!

Chevy Truck ads say they are the best truck, but Ford says they are? Kohl's puts t-shirts on sale for 40% off, but they have inflated the price so much you are still paying $20.00 for a plain t-shirt that isn't worth $10.00

Every day, every place, we are surrounded by marketing messages and strategies. We have choices between higher price points and lower price points. We all seem to be able to navigate through them with no problem...except for one: the "free" unlimited beverage package on NCL. With that one, we cannot seem to get past the asterisk that explains that free in this add is not free like in the Oxford Dictionary.

For God's sake people: do the math. Ignore the messaging and do the math. Price your trip with the sail away rate, then price it with the drink and dining package. Take the difference, divide it by the number of days and passengers, and look at that number. If you didn't have the drink or dining package, would you spend more than that on drinks (or dines?)? Yes: book with the package. No, book without.

Lululemon charges $150 for leggings. Jimmy Choo pumps are 40% off and are still $350.00. BOGO sales these days are almost always Buy One Get One half off. Why don't they just say 25% off if you buy two? BOGO used to be buy one get one free!

Chevy Truck ads say they are the best truck, but Ford says they are? Kohl's puts t-shirts on sale for 40% off, but they have inflated the price so much you are still paying $20.00 for a plain t-shirt that isn't worth $10.00

Every day, every place, we are surrounded by marketing messages and strategies. We have choices between higher price points and lower price points. We all seem to be able to navigate through them with no problem...except for one: the "free" unlimited beverage package on NCL. With that one, we cannot seem to get past the asterisk that explains that free in this add is not free like in the Oxford Dictionary.

For God's sake people: do the math. Ignore the messaging and do the math. Price your trip with the sail away rate, then price it with the drink and dining package. Take the difference, divide it by the number of days and passengers, and look at that number. If you didn't have the drink or dining package, would you spend more than that on drinks (or dines?)? Yes: book with the package. No, book without.

You can't always compare to the sailaway rate. Depending on the category, it may not be offered.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You know what would make me happier? Straws. Good old plastic straws. I think I will lower my DSC by the cost of the straws I am going to have to purchase and bring with me.

I am already happier just thinking about it.

It makes me sad that many people cannot perform simple math...or know how much they might drink on a cruise...those two things should be easy. Now talk about combing the two and making a rational decision, and some people’s heads explode.

Math, math, math. It's all about the numbers. Any savvy shopper/traveller should know that. That promo isn't worthwhile because you don't drink? Then don't take it. Boom! The numbers have gone down. What OP is suggesting is basically a different type of marketing which would really have the same result especially for those of us who like math. In the end all i want to know is whether the final price works or doesn't work for my family.