Anthem of the Seas

I have been reading reviews of Anthem and have been somewhat shocked by the negative reviews it has received! For those of you who have sailed her, is she a " nightmare "???? Thanks. Dean

We enjoyed our trip on Anthem in November. There is a ton of thing to do and not enough time! The only thing I found really off putting was having to make reservations for everything and still having to show up 30 to 45 minutes early to get a good seat if you were more than a group of two:eek:. Did not do MTD, were the first voyage after the end of the Dynamic Dining concept so a few small kinks but nothing serious. We took advantage of the BOGO for specialty dining and a few other things so we actually did not eat in the MDR until night 5 of our 12 night trip:o.

Great staff, beautiful ship. Go with an open mind - it's a different experience than other ships but fun just the same. Probably won't go on her again unless a great deal presents - just felt way too scheduled (was in a group of 8 and we actually had a spreadsheet to make sure everyone knew when to be where;p.

I have been reading reviews of Anthem and have been somewhat shocked by the negative reviews it has received! For those of you who have sailed her, is she a " nightmare "???? Thanks. Dean

It's a real nice ship........have a great time...........

We've been on Anthem many times and we're looking forward to our B2B on her next month. A vacation is what you make of it and we always seem to have a good time on Anthem :D. She's a beautiful ship, friendly staff, plenty of things to do and see onboard and we enjoy nightly the entertainment in the Music Hall, Two70, and Boleros.

I am sailing on Anthem for the first time in May and have been a little worried about all the negative reviews, so I've been doing my own little investigation...

It seems to me like most of the the negativity revolves around the experimental (RCI) concept of Dynamic Dining and the ship's featured activities. Once they got rid of DD and I think listening to guests and working on dining overall, the reviews have gotten much better. It's taking a while for the rating to improve after initial bad reviews.

The other issue is that there are many passengers on board and little time and space for the featured activities such as iFly and North Star, so advance planning to get the most out of the ship is very necessary.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking with it ;)

I wouldn't worry about the "Negative Reviews". Just got off this morning and had a great time. Sure there were a few hiccups, but nothing serious. I hope to post a little bit of a review sometime this week but for now, back to the reality of being away for a week.

Bob

Just returned from my 4th cruise on Anthem/Quantum. No nightmares for us!

I think your theory is correct, that many people are unprepared. They do not make reservations for dining or activities. Many we encountered said that they "did not know" but I don't understand that because we got almost daily emails from RCI reminding us to make reservations, etc. If they used a "good" travel agent, the agent should have guided them through the process, too.

We were even able to get into see the shows twice because the theatre was not full at showtime.

We sailed on The Awesome Anthem last April & 2 days after returning we booked again for this April. We had a fantastic time, great staff, terrific shows, good food, lots to do. We really enjoyed dynamic dining and are very sorry RC caved in to the complainers, so now, traditional like all other ships. It is best to make your reservations before for dining and shows. If you need to change your dining times that was never a problem. Shops too high end, always empty. The Solarium area, adults only is super. Go with an open mind. Like I always say, beats staying home, cooking and cleaning!! 22 more days until our 12 night cruise!!

Marg

Just returned from my 4th cruise on Anthem/Quantum. No nightmares for us!

I think your theory is correct, that many people are unprepared. They do not make reservations for dining or activities. Many we encountered said that they "did not know" but I don't understand that because we got almost daily emails from RCI reminding us to make reservations, etc. If they used a "good" travel agent, the agent should have guided them through the process, too.

We were even able to get into see the shows twice because the theatre was not full at showtime.

Please, how far out were you able to make online reservations ? Thanks for all the information. Dean

Please, how far out were you able to make online reservations ? Thanks for all the information. Dean

Dean, I don't know when they opened because we booked the cruise last minute (like 6 weeks before) and reservations were already open. We had traditional dining, and we don't do specialty restaurants, so we didn't have to make reservations for dinner. We were able to do the shows and Northstar online. (We didn't want to do iFly). Once onboard, we were able to change reservation times without issue. Download the Royal IQ app to your smart phone before you sail. You will be able to connect onboard (you don't need an internet package) and will be able to access/change reservations, see you schedule, check your account, view the dinner menu, read the compass, etc, all from your phone.

We enjoyed our trip on Anthem in November. There is a ton of thing to do and not enough time! The only thing I found really off putting was having to make reservations for everything and still having to show up 30 to 45 minutes early to get a good seat if you were more than a group of two:eek:. Did not do MTD, were the first voyage after the end of the Dynamic Dining concept so a few small kinks but nothing serious. We took advantage of the BOGO for specialty dining and a few other things so we actually did not eat in the MDR until night 5 of our 12 night trip:o.

Great staff, beautiful ship. Go with an open mind - it's a different experience than other ships but fun just the same. Probably won't go on her again unless a great deal presents - just felt way too scheduled (was in a group of 8 and we actually had a spreadsheet to make sure everyone knew when to be where;p.

We love the ship. So much easier to board her in Bayonne for us. Also, love the I-pads used to check-in. Agree, even arriving 30 minutes before show time, you are lucky to get a seat that does not block your view. But, overall we enjoyed the Q when it came out and the Anthem in August. Sorry to see DD go, but we'll make do as we have a 12 niter to the Carib. in Feb. '18.

Does anyone know when the next set of schedules to come out if it will include Anthem. Looking for something in summer '18 & winter '19.

I'm currently under 80 days out and have fully paid. So far, I've only been able to reserve Northstar, a few restuarants, We will Rock You and MDR.

Looking to get on the Flowrider and roller skating, and The Gift and Spectra.

Will let you know when those are avialable for me.

I was able to do Northstar over a month ago.

Have not seen iFly - didn't plan to register, but still would have like to see it available if I change my mind.

Only Flowrider options (that I have seen so far) are for deluxe and private lesson packages.

I was able to do Northstar over a month ago.

Have not seen iFly - didn't plan to register, but still would have like to see it available if I change my mind.

Only Flowrider options (that I have seen so far) are for deluxe and private lesson packages.

Flowrider has open time and will be listed in the daily cruise compass. The only thing you can reserve for that ahead of time are the lessons.

Same goes for the roller skating.

IFly reservations typically become available with Northstar so I would search a bit more into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm currently under 80 days out and have fully paid. So far, I've only been able to reserve Northstar, a few restuarants, We will Rock You and MDR.

Looking to get on the Flowrider and roller skating, and The Gift and Spectra.

Will let you know when those are avialable for me.

BillHoo

Thank you for the update! Very helpful! Dean

Does anyone know if and when there is a formal night on a five night ?

There is usually one formal night. Most times it's on night two, but I've seen it on night three occasionally.

If you post the ship and exact itinerary, someone here will probably be able to tell you which night.

...Many we encountered said that they "did not know" bust I don't understand that because we got almost daily emails from RCI reminding us to make reservations, etc....

Very interesting. We have not received one reminder email from RCCL...we booked through Costco Travel, could that be why?

Very interesting. We have not received one reminder email from RCCL...we booked through Costco Travel, could that be why?

Keep us posted. Have often wondered about costco travel! Dean