Q: Wifi quality on Grandeur of the Seas

Tatka

One of my yearly cruises lately is not a vacation. I need to work from the ship, and quality of wifi is really important to me.

We had a wonderful experience with a VOOM on Allure and Anthem. I heard that all RCCL ships now also have a VOOM.

Can somebody please confirm that quality of connections on Grandeur is good. Is it stable? Will I be able to hold Skype/Weber conferences if I need to?

Thanks a lot in advance!

One of my yearly cruises lately is not a vacation. I need to work from the ship, and quality of wifi is really important to me.

We had a wonderful experience with a VOOM on Allure and Anthem. I heard that all RCCL ships now also have a VOOM.

Can somebody please confirm that quality of connections on Grandeur is good. Is it stable? Will I be able to hold Skype/Weber conferences if I need to?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I would be prepared for poor performance. The internet on Grandeur is nothing like that on Allure and Anthem.

We usually just use the onboard computers on deck 4. It's usually not too bad and we've had very few problems. We're bringing our microsoft surface tablets this trip, so we'll see how wifi is. If it's bad, we'll just go to deck 4 and use theirs. We just do a quick email and weather check usually. We're used to FIOs at home so quick speed and great connections, but at sea, we don't spend that much time online, so it's not a big deal. We eac get 2-24 hour free internet so not much to complain about. We also tend to get online when it's not busy.

Just off grandeur a few weeks ago. Wifi is definitely not as fast as allure. But it was quick enough to stream video and use wifi talking. Might just work for your Skype calls. it also depends on how many people have the Wifi package, on our cruise it was a little older and didnt see to many people with their m pjones or tablets about.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

When will you be on Grandeur? We were told a few weeks ago that the wifi will be upgraded during the upcoming dry dock in April/May. First trip after drydock is 5/13. Katherine

That would be quite unusual, none of the other ships received the O3B upgrade during dry dock.

• 5 months later...

We just got home from a 5 day on Grandeur. We used to get the limited free WiFi for 24hrs (x2) and I would never complain about anything free. This time we had to pay for it, disappointing but we got a discount. I needed it for work. I own a business and must keep in touch. The WiFi was very poor, constantly disconnecting and slower than my old school dial up when I first got a PC back in '94. It is fine for posting on Facebook or any short social media post, but try to do any serious work and you will get extremely frustrated. I almost gave up by day 3, I had had it!

This was our 15th cruise, our 4th on Grandeur. Until I can get my office running without me I won't be able to do my preferred 2 or 3 trips a year. I may do one and supplement with beach house stays where I can actually work.

I was on the Aug 24th sailing of Grandeur and it worked fine. Not great, but people had no trouble streaming, You Tube, NetFlix, Skype/FaceTime, etc. One person I met was a computer professional, and he checked the speed and saw 5 MBPS.

I did notice at time that pages with a lot of separate elements seemed to load slowing, so maybe the Ping was a bit long.

We did lose service for about 2 - 3 hours one evening. The crew reported that the issue was the satellite position at that time.

Also just off a 5-day on the Grandeur and totally agree with Abrasive Anglo. I didn't have to pay for mine but it was the WORST internet experience I've had on any ship recently. Thankfully I did not have to connect to work on this cruise!