Setting Cell phone to ships time

cruisincdns

You can manually set your cell phone's time to the ships time and leave it on ships time for the whole cruise. This is how I do it with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 7.0:

Go to Settings, then go to `General Management`, then go to `Date and Time` and then turn off the 'Automatic date and time' setting. Then I manually change the time to the ships time and then change it as the ship's time changes due to time zones.

While on-board, make sure your cell phone is in Airplane mode to avoid roaming charges. However, when you arrive in port, and depending on if your cell phone carrier offers a discounted roaming plan for the port/country you are in, you can turn off the Airplane mode but the time and date on your cell phone will stay on ship time as the automatic time/date setting is still off.

Just remember to turn the automatic date and time setting back on when you arrive to your home port to sync up with your cell phone carrier's network.

This works for me. I also use my watch too.

Paul

You can also set it to the ships time by simply putting it in Airplane Mode before you sail away. It won't change times when crossing time zones because it has no idea where it is when it's in Airplane Mode. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can also set it to the ships time by simply putting it in Airplane Mode before you sail away. It won't change times when crossing time zones because it has no idea where it is when it's in Airplane Mode. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you realize that most cruise ships adjust for "local" time? In that case, "airplane mode" set at embarkation is basically worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Especially useless on a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific crossing. Even a simple New England itinerary has different time zones.

Sometimes it's useful to keep to 'home' time. On our first trip to Australia (land holiday) my watch did not automatically change time and with the huge difference between OZ and the UK it was helpful to know the time so we were not ringing the family at some god forsaken time. On our second visit I had a new watch which automatically changed time and that meant working out time differences, especially tricky as Australia has so many different time zones.

my phone is turned of and usually put in our safe as soon as we get to our cabin. It doesn't come out until the last night when I make sure its charged for the trip home!

We have $10 Wal-Mart watches to wear on the cruise.

Sometimes it's useful to keep to 'home' time. On our first trip to Australia (land holiday) my watch did not automatically change time and with the huge difference between OZ and the UK it was helpful to know the time so we were not ringing the family at some god forsaken time. On our second visit I had a new watch which automatically changed time and that meant working out time differences, especially tricky as Australia has so many different time zones.

My iPhone and iPad (and I would assume other smartphones and tablets too) have a World Clock feature, to show the time in other places I select, which is very handy. I keep my phone in airplane mode, and update the time manually as the ship changes time. I don't like to wear a watch, so my phone IS my watch when I carry it.

my phone is turned of and usually put in our safe as soon as we get to our cabin. It doesn't come out until the last night when I make sure its charged for the trip home!

We have $10 Wal-Mart watches to wear on the cruise.

Now that cruise lines are moving to a free informational website onboard that you access from your cell phone/tablet to connect to using the ships WiFi for free (ie: Princess@Sea), using your cell phone to access Princess@Sea during your cruise so you can message each other free on board or check the Patter, itinerary, your on board account, etc. is useful, of course with your phone in Airplane mode.

Paul