Car Rental in Waikiki - cheaper to book when we arrive?

IngFam

Hi we'll be arriving in Waikiki on 19 April from Australia. We were wondering if it's cheaper to book the car here before we leave or once we're in Waikiki. We were wanting to book a convertible for the day to drive around the North Shore. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi. You should book now and you can allows keep checking to see if prices go down. You don't have to prepay for the car. I used discount hawaii car rental they had the best prices. I'm leaving in may and the prices are going up on car rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And, depending on when your ship is visiting Hawaii, it might be a high season for tourism. In that case, there might not even be a car available for rental. And it isn't like on the mainland where cars can be shuttled around. When the cars are gone, they are gone. So definitely reserve in advance and enjoy your visit.

Since you usually do not have to pay ahead of time it does not hurt to booked early. Sometimes it does not make any difference. We have a car booked for May 2nd in Waikiki for $67 and when I look it up now it is the same price. But some times it does. We also have a car booked for May 8 on Kauai and the our booking is $35 but currently price it is up to $58.

I agree with everyone above who says book now and cancel if you need to, especially since you want a convertible for one day. You never know when everything will book up. If you find something less expensive when you arrive there is no cancellation fee. And, as has been mentioned often on CC, make sure you join the loyalty program for the company you think you will be renting from and it will make picking up and returning the car easier and quicker. Nothing like a convertible on the North Shore, I have fabulous memories of those experiences. Cherie