I'm taking bets on wether my 10/8 BA cruise makes it to GSC.

Sotermarler

Yes, was windy and rocky that morning. I had a good idea before breakfast we wouldn't stop there, (they didn't go there last week either). I did get up early and packed a bag though just in case.

By the time we had finished breakfast we pulled up to GSC, and pulled back out. A few mins later they made an announcement we wouldn't stop. We walked down stairs and they were already handing out the new freestyles. My guess is those were already printed bc it would have been hard to get all those copies printed in the few minutes from when they started moving again to when they made the announcement.

I was disappointed but I had set my expectation low anyway.

They must know the wave height and wind speed ahead of time so it would have just been better if they canceled before I got everyone up and packed for the day. Some people were seriously pissed. We did then move on to Nassau but it was pouring rain. Y the time we got there.

Oh well... I guess I saved myself an embarrassing photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, was windy and rocky that morning. I had a good idea before breakfast we wouldn't stop there, (they didn't go there last week either). I did get up early and packed a bag though just in case ... Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome back & thanks for the update. Ship was back around 7:15 AM this morning for docking but on an off-topic post elsewhere, someone said they've still on the ship around 10:30 waiting for their "color" to be called ?? and that is running late. Comments ?? - was there a delay inside the terminal ... as that's usually not good for those with "tight" train, bus & especially flight connections at area airprots.

It will be our turn on the BA again in 2 weeks - let's see if we can tender ashore (we've missed it twice over the last 15 years with different ships out of 6 scheduled stops.) The Sky managed to tender the day after the BA skipped the island last week ... a matter of timing; and, there's a tropical depression moving toward the greater Bahamas area this week, yikes.

BTW, anyone from your sailing know the scheduled time for the Platinum Behind The Scene tour on the ship ... trying to choose and avoid conflict with the Roll Call's Meet & Mingle. T.I.A.

So NCL keeps adding a stop to the itinerary knowing the probability of being able to tender there is nil?

Guess I'm calling NCL Monday.

Ships make it more often than not, and it’s NCL’s private island, so of course it’s going to be on the itinerary. We made it 3 out of 4, we will still continue to book cruises with GSC on the itinerary, it’s a nice day.

Welcome back & thanks for the update. Ship was back around 7:15 AM this morning for docking but on an off-topic post elsewhere, someone said they've still on the ship around 10:30 waiting for their "color" to be called ?? and that is running late. Comments ?? - was there a delay inside the terminal ... as that's usually not good for those with "tight" train, bus & especially flight connections at area airprots.

It will be our turn on the BA again in 2 weeks - let's see if we can tender ashore (we've missed it twice over the last 15 years with different ships out of 6 scheduled stops.) The Sky managed to tender the day after the BA skipped the island last week ... a matter of timing; and, there's a tropical depression moving toward the greater Bahamas area this week, yikes.

BTW, anyone from your sailing know the scheduled time for the Platinum Behind The Scene tour on the ship ... trying to choose and avoid conflict with the Roll Call's Meet & Mingle. T.I.A.

It’s somewhat common for customs to be short staffed on sundays (and even Saturdays in NYC), just read some reviews. It’s not NCL’s fault, obviously, but they do not communicate well to the passengers.

Tour was scheduled at 10, first sea day. We ran the meet & greet and left the tour early. Everybody else on tour missed the whole meet & greet. We always miss the tour because of the bad timing.

Safe sailing

Tour was scheduled at 10, first sea day. We ran the meet & greet and left the tour early. Everybody else on tour missed the whole meet & greet. We always miss the tour because of the bad timing. Safe sailing

Thanks, SB - that's what I am afraid of ... DW wanted to do the tour this time. How was your M&G ... we have a huge Roll Call (that I'm not running, whew) ? & at least a few other Platinum members caught up with this bad scheduling :mad: again.

But, I will speak to the ShorEx/CruiseNext folks once onboard & decide ... earlier this year, on the Gem, they're able to do the BTS at 9 AM instead, that was a "win-win" option.

Yes big mess to get off the ship. Our flight didn't leave until 5 pm so we chose Orange. The last color. It was called around 10:30 and then 45 mins to get out of the terminal.

There was nothing going on that I am aware of.

Just returned from BA today and it seemed that the disembarkation was running about an hour behind the time they estimated even though the ship arrived in port at 7:30A.

I'd like to ask some NCL devotees what they think of the ship missing GSC so often. Two years ago on the BA we did make it onto GSC so it was really disappointing to miss it this week. Of course 1 for 2 is a lot better than some have managed. I didn't think the weather was bad at all on Wednesday. A few swells and some wind but nothing that the tenders couldn't handle. If that amount of movement and wind keeps them from visiting their private island then the chances of anyone getting the opportunity are slim.

Here's my humble opinion and don't bother slamming me for it. While in Nassau on Thursday, I ran into some folks from the Carnival Pride and asked them if they made it to their private island the day before. They had, so I'm trying to understand if there is an economic reason that NCL misses it so often. It must cost a lot of fuel to move several thousand pax back & forth. They have to transport all the food, drink and provisions to the island for the day. They are not generating any revenue on the ship when everyone is on the island. It just doesn't make sense to have an island that they use a lot less than half the time and then manage to disappoint so many pax each week. Any thoughts?

Just returned from BA today and it seemed that the disembarkation was running about an hour behind the time they estimated even though the ship arrived in port at 7:30A.

I'd like to ask some NCL devotees what they think of the ship missing GSC so often. Two years ago on the BA we did make it onto GSC so it was really disappointing to miss it this week. Of course 1 for 2 is a lot better than some have managed. I didn't think the weather was bad at all on Wednesday. A few swells and some wind but nothing that the tenders couldn't handle. If that amount of movement and wind keeps them from visiting their private island then the chances of anyone getting the opportunity are slim.

Here's my humble opinion and don't bother slamming me for it. While in Nassau on Thursday, I ran into some folks from the Carnival Pride and asked them if they made it to their private island the day before. They had, so I'm trying to understand if there is an economic reason that NCL misses it so often. It must cost a lot of fuel to move several thousand pax back & forth. They have to transport all the food, drink and provisions to the island for the day. They are not generating any revenue on the ship when everyone is on the island. It just doesn't make sense to have an island that they use a lot less than half the time and then manage to disappoint so many pax each week. Any thoughts?

I really think it’s for the safety of the passengers, there have been stories here about how scary it can be to tender in not so perfect conditions. They have to pay to port overnight at Nassau, and I don’t believe passengers are charged extra. They keep pouring money into the island, first time we went they didn’t even have tender docks, you had to wade through the water. The newer docks make it more likely they can tender safely.

I’ve seen posts on the RCL boards of folks complaining of missing coco cay while NCL was tendering to GSC. We’ve made it 3 times out of 4, I’m sure NCL doesn’t want to make their customers unhappy. They also have to refund all of the money people spent on excursions, cabanas, clamshells, etc. I’m sure they lose money.

When we missed GSC on the Gem, they knew far enough ahead of time that we docked in Nassau at 2 PM that day, were on shore by 2:30 and the ship stayed overnight. We made it on the BA in 2013, missed the RCCL island in 2006.

The two private islands is located in different parts of the Bahamas. It might be sunny and not a cloud in the sky in one part and cloudy rain in the other parts.

Great Stirrup Cay is in the Berry Islands which is north-west of Nassau (the teal pin icon)

Half Moon Cay is in the Little Salvador Islands which is south east of Nassau (red tree icon)

Capture.png

Based on the location of these islands, it is might be possible there was rough waters north of Nassau making tendering unsafe and the weather south-east was smooth and calm.

Is there a private island right next to GSC? Because I believe there was a ship tendering near where we stopped. I thought it was a RCCL ship?

yes, that is RCCL private island called Coco Cay

I have taken four cruises that were supposed to hit GSC. Two made it and two did not so we are at 50%. I have noticed that the ones that didn't make it were in the fall(November 2011 and this past one October 2017). The ones that made it were in the spring and summer. If you think about it, that makes sense. Unless you live some alternative universe, you know about hurricanes and the Caribbean. Even if there aren't any active systems going, there is a very good chance the ocean is going to be choppy from either left-overs from a storm that has just departed the area or one that is coming. Either way, I am not going to argue the point with a Captain of the ship who has a heck of a lot more experience at this than I will ever have.

Breakaway sailing this week looking good, engine stopped about 10 minutes ago @GSC ... she was running full speed earlier this morning at 20 knots toward their private island. Check out the live webcam, you can see the island on the upper right, our turn in 2 weeks.

RCL's EOT was heading toward their private island right next to GSC, and they usually get there earlier than NCL - each time as we approach the Berry Islands, if we can spot the other ships (sometimes 2 over at CoCo Bay) there & tenders running - it is a positive indicator. Temp's in the mid/high 80's with chance of spot showers in the area, fairly typical for this time of the year & no tropical system in the region.

Suntan lotion with SPF 50+ ... checked & packed.

Breakaway sailing this week looking good, engine stopped about 10 minutes ago @GSC ... she was running full speed earlier this morning at 20 knots toward their private island. Check out the live webcam, you can see the island on the upper right, our turn in 2 weeks.

RCL's EOT was heading toward their private island right next to GSC, and they usually get there earlier than NCL - each time as we approach the Berry Islands, if we can spot the other ships (sometimes 2 over at CoCo Bay) there & tenders running - it is a positive indicator. Temp's in the mid/high 80's with chance of spot showers in the area, fairly typical for this time of the year & no tropical system in the region.

Suntan lotion with SPF 50+ ... checked & packed.

Ugh. You're killing me! We wanted to go there so badly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums