What are your "don't forget" items for your Alaska trip?

endless travel

What are the items you don't dare forget to take with you to Alaska because you can't easily replace them anywhere on the ship or in a port? Maybe it's something that you find very helpful and the rest of us might not think about including it in our packing list.

Mine include:

1) clips to hold the curtains closed (there is always a sliver of light that escapes)

2) small first aid kit with bandages/blister pads/ OTC meds (in could be difficult to find a place to buy these or the supply on the ship could be limited) and of course any prescription meds

3) small (but bright) flashlight

4) an extra pair of prescription eyeglasses (I would be completely non-functioning if I broke or lost mine!)

Stocking cap and gloves. Sure you can get them in some ports but the time you realize you don't have them will likely be a sea day and if they happen to be in ship store they will be $$$ and the CEO of the line will smile. :D

Stocking cap and gloves. Sure you can get them in some ports but the time you realize you don't have them will likely be a sea day and if they happen to be in ship store they will be $$$ and the CEO of the line will smile. :D

I've seen a lot of people say to bring hat and gloves for glacier day. We will be cruising Glacier Bay the beginning of May. How much colder does it usually get near the glaciers in relation to say Juneau?

PS: Seeing your name always makes me smile. I'm from Sequim. :)

Add:

• Sunglasses if going dog sledding in the snow
  • Handwarmers/phone charger combo
  • Duct tape for emergency repairs (hems, heels, luggage, eye glass frames, etc.)
  • Small backpack for shore excursions
  • Emergency rain poncho
  • Water bottle to take on excursions
  • Envelope with dollar bills for Room Service tips
  • Steel thermos bottle to fill before bed so that hot coffee will be available as soon as your toes touch the stateroom floor
  • Ziploc bags for snacks
  • Snack bars for excursions
  • Multiport USB adapter to charge devices
  • Small collapsible cooler to keep drinks chilled if no refrigerator in stateroom

I've seen a lot of people say to bring hat and gloves for glacier day. We will be cruising Glacier Bay the beginning of May. How much colder does it usually get near the glaciers in relation to say Juneau?

Expect it to be a lot colder. But then again the attire you'll need will depend on your plans. My plan was to stay outside all day from 6am until past lunch (although I think I did go get something to eat). I stood on the bow in the windy cold weather, and mostly enjoyed every minute of it. I say mostly because it was windy and cold after all.:D But I was not going to be deterred from seeing whatever I could see. Seeing as DH and I were out there on the bow mostly alone, I would say others had different plans.;p You can always jump back inside to warm up, but why not be prepared? I'd hate to get all the way to Glacier Bay and wish I was better prepared. Bring a hat and some gloves! In addition, I had on a lot of layers.

We're spending about 5 days after our cruise in the interior and Kenai Peninsula so:

Deep Wood Off Wipes with 30% more Deet (pesky dang bugs)

Extra memory card/batteries for camera

First aid kit with assorted bandaids/bandages, ace wrap (you never know), steri strips(again, you never know!), OTC and prescription meds

Waterproof jacket, waterproof pants (to wear over jeans), waterproof shoes, umbrella (be prepared and pray you don't need them!)

Sunscreen (for out on the deck of ship and trekking glaciers/horseback riding/river rafting)

Binoculars

Flashlight and nightlight for bathroom (we have an inside cabin)

Squid extension cord for cabin and 3-outlet adapter for bathroom

Stocking cap, gloves, scarves, ear covers for Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier

2 thermal coffee mugs for coffee, tea,,,,,,hot chocolate with schnapps ;p

Noise machine/alarm clock....can't sleep without it!

Getting pretty excited....70 days until we sail!

Expect it to be a lot colder. But then again the attire you'll need will depend on your plans. My plan was to stay outside all day from 6am until past lunch (although I think I did go get something to eat). I stood on the bow in the windy cold weather, and mostly enjoyed every minute of it. I say mostly because it was windy and cold after all.:D But I was not going to be deterred from seeing whatever I could see. Seeing as DH and I were out there on the bow mostly alone, I would say others had different plans.;p You can always jump back inside to warm up, but why not be prepared? I'd hate to get all the way to Glacier Bay and wish I was better prepared. Bring a hat and some gloves! In addition, I had on a lot of layers.

I plan to stay out as much of the day as I can stand, too. I don't want to miss a thing! I will definitely be throwing hat and gloves into the suitcase. :D

What are the items you don't dare forget to take with you to Alaska because you can't easily replace them anywhere on the ship or in a port? Maybe it's something that you find very helpful and the rest of us might not think about including it in our packing list.

Mine include:

1) clips to hold the curtains closed (there is always a sliver of light that escapes)

2) small first aid kit with bandages/blister pads/ OTC meds (in could be difficult to find a place to buy these or the supply on the ship could be limited) and of course any prescription meds

3) small (but bright) flashlight

4) an extra pair of prescription eyeglasses (I would be completely non

UGH Cruise Critic hates me...

My answer again: hat/gloves/scarf combo.

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

Most definitely prepare for cold and wind on those Glacier days. I too stayed out most of the day at Glacier Bay, didn't want to miss any of that awesome calving.

Also, air very dry and cold, remember your Chapstick or similar item.

Don't want to repeat above excellent suggestions, one item we find handy is a collapsible laundry hamper. We also like solid room freshener, Febreze and granola bars for quick breakfasts.

PS: Seeing your name always makes me smile. I'm from Sequim.

Perhaps someday we'll be "to Sequim" when we retire. Hence the name. ;) I spoke to a guy the other day and he said he was from Port Angeles and I said, "Oh, over by Sequim!" and he laughed and said, "People used to say - Sequim, that's near Port Angeles." :D

Another must have for Alaska cruise - Our insulated metal/ceramic coffee mugs for hot Irish Coffee on deck.

One question- I'm from MN, and pretty used to cold weather :). Will I really need a hat/glove/scarves for a mid June cruise?

Better to be prepared and not need it than to need and not have!

Hat, gloves and scarf take up very little space.

One question- I'm from MN, and pretty used to cold weather :). Will I really need a hat/glove/scarves for a mid June cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes...take a hat and gloves. I am from Minnesota and having a hat and gloves made it so much nicer to spend extended time outside. Being on a moving ship made it feel like the windy prairie here in SW Minnesota!

Not sure if you have plans to extend your trip on land, but the place I most appreciated having the extra warmth was on a Kenai Fjord cruise out of Seward. It was a bright, sunny day in June, but it was super cold out on the deck of the boat. I even ended up loaning a spare pair of gloves to another gal who came without. I know she was glad to get them!