What do you prefer to use for your on board expense account on the ship.

Credit card. Many reports of problems using debit cards, related to putting multiple holds on the account that do not fall off for extended periods of time (depends on issuing bank policies).

+1. There is no good reason to use a debit card for anything but an ATM. And good reasons not to.

Plus, the account with the debit card is at a different bank than our regular bank with very limited funds.

Thank you all, I went to edit my on line check in and it want let me change my on board expense account. will there be a problem for me to switch from my debit to my credit card once I get to the port to check in?

Thank you all, I went to edit my on line check in and it want let me change my on board expense account. will there be a problem for me to switch from my debit to my credit card once I get to the port to check in?

You can give them whatever card you want when you check in at the port.

I have used a debit card on every cruise I have been on from the very first one and have never had a problem. Now one thing I do however is keep a 2nd checking account separate from my regular checking account that I use just for vacations and cruises. I do that so that if there is ever any problems it will not affect my regular checking account that I use for bills and things. :cool:

Credit, all the way. Credit cards have a faster refunding process than debit, check or expense cards. Plus, you still have the advantage or option of not losing money during the settlement of a dispute.

Never a debit card....if you want to go that route, just bring cash and use it. Debit cards incur "holds" on your funds....cash accounts do not. Nor do credit cards....although they do show "pending charges"....but they drop off when the actual charge goes through.