How Dressy or Casual is "Dressy Casual" ?

OVRSTR

Hello all. My wife and I are booked on the SD I sailing on November 27. I consider myself a reasonably fasionable guy but I do have some questions regarding the dress code at dinner in the dining room. The suit and tie are definately staying at home, but how much emphasis should I put on bringing a blazer? Are dress slacks with a short sleeve silk or linen shirt acceptable? Although I am bringing dress loafers, are DRESSY leather sandals acceptable also? Thank you in advance for your replies as I find packing for vacation an absolutely miserable experience since I ALWAYS overpack. :confused:

On our 7 night cruise most wore blazers/jackets the first night and on the thrid night which was preceeded by the captain's reception

but most nights tommy bahama or linen shirts prevailed, so of 6 nights we ate aboard 2 nights I wore a jacket, 5 nights with just a collored shirt, one night I wore a tie and was giving good natured grief for it by most of my new friends I had met aboard - I can not even imagine what would have happened if I wore a suit -

Footwear was all over the place but dressy sandals were most acceptable

trust me overpacking is my wife's mantra...my new trick is I pack up what I want to briing into two suitcases, then I leave one of them home

Hi we will be on your cruise next week. Look forward to meeting you! We are from Texas so be looking out for us.

This is our second time on SeaDream so this is my advice.

You do not need a suit, period. However I do recommend one sport jacket. On our last cruise, we dined outdoors about 3 nights and on those nights a linen shirt and khakis are fine. On the nights we dined in the dining room, most (but not all) people had on a sport jacket and a linen type shirt underneath.

Sandals are fine. Do not pack dress shoes or I will throw them overboard.

Women of course run the gamut. Id rather slit my wrists than put on a pair of pantyhose. I am not into the formal thing.

We will be with you on Nov 27th on SD I. Also HATE packing. Was forced by hubbie to carry on for a week in Italy in Nov so I know I CAN pack efficiently, but hate putting that much thought into it. Easier to take everything I think I MIGHT need/want.

I think I will encourage him to bring one blazer. And I am not wearing anything dressier than sundresses!

Daytime I guess we will be in "surfer" shorts, khaki shorts, or bathing suits.

Do they still give us personalized pj's in the cabins? Would be fun to have a pajama party one night under the stars! Champagne and moonlight and music!

We will be with you on Nov 27th on SD I. Also HATE packing. Was forced by hubbie to carry on for a week in Italy in Nov so I know I CAN pack efficiently, but hate putting that much thought into it. Easier to take everything I think I MIGHT need/want.

I think I will encourage him to bring one blazer. And I am not wearing anything dressier than sundresses!

Daytime I guess we will be in "surfer" shorts, khaki shorts, or bathing suits.

Do they still give us personalized pj's in the cabins? Would be fun to have a pajama party one night under the stars! Champagne and moonlight and music!

On our last December trip on SDII, the last night was our pajama party at the Top of The Yacht. A Texas group started autographing each others tops with permanent markers. Ended up with all of us collecting autographs on our tops like passing around the yearbook in school. Loads of fun and a wonderful group of passengers. Crew said there had been other PJ parties but that was the first autograph session. Have fun.

Jim

Welcome Aboard OVRSTR,

We too are yachting with you. My significant other and I will not be too formal, no jackets in our bags. I really need to relax on this vacation (this does not exclude fun and good times), and dressing up too formally doesn't do that for me... However, we'd be into a pj party... One week to go, and so much to do, like I said, I'm going to need this week of relaxation. You'll know who I am because I'll be passed out in some chaise for the first 2 days catching up on much needed sleep.

See you all soon.

LL

All,

Just jumped back on the CC site. We will be sailing with you also next Sunday on SD I. A good friend of mine highly recommended this line and we're very excited. Neither my parnter nor I have had a vacation this year so we're long overdue...You'll be able to find us near the pool or on a balinese sunbed sleeping as well.

Thanks for the update on packing. I was going to bring a sport coat, my partner didn't necessarily want to. It sounds like we would be fine either way. I'm also grateful for the advice on packing...Sounds like less is more for this one! Thanks again...

By the way..luvtojump....Would love to have some of that bubbly with you!

Although I'm not on the Boards all that often...Everyone on this thread sounds great and I look forward to cruising with all of you. We're really looking forward to the trip. Are most of you coming in on the 27th or in advance? We're actually arriving on the 26th and going to St. John for a night! Look forward to meeting everyone next week!

B

Hi Skip's Dad,

Sure, I would love to share a glass of bubbly with you. We too are arriving on the 26th. We're in late that night, so just staying in St. Thomas. Have a wonderful stay on St. John. Let me guess...The Westin?

Looking forward to meeting the rest of you. Safe travels and a warm Thanksgiving to all.

Lisa

We were going to stay at Caneel Bay, but after MUCH gnashing of teeth, have cancelled reservation and will be staying at the Marriott the night of the 26th. (We really wanted to stay at Caneel, but getting back and forth to St John's seemed too challenging! LOL!)

How will we find each other on board?

And do any men wear (nice) jeans and "hip" shirts to dinner? Or only slacks/khaki's?

We did not see anyone in jeans dewla ... plenty of khaki and hip shirts or golf shirts.

Sounds like you have a great crew coming on board! How I wish we were joining you! Please post while on board so we can live vicariously through you:p

Jeans will definitely not fit in... for dinner on deck I did see several men in beautiful "Tommy Bahama" type shorts and print shirts. On the nights when dinner was in the dining room, no shorts and quite a few jackets without ties... just sports shirts.

i'd also say no to jeans at dinner. plain khakis are fine. during the day, pretty much anything goes. we had a real mix on our last cruise. some ladies wore spike heels around the pool. it was funny watching them try and climb into the zodiacs to get to the beach for the caviar splash. surprised we didn't spring a leak.

we arrive in st thomas on the 24th. couldn't find any rooms for that nite so we are staying at bolongo beach. don't know much about it but im sure it will be fine.

m

Speaking of spiked heels...When we were on SD2 last July in the Mediterranean I picked up some cute white beaded thongs in Capri. Not high heels but maybe an inch.

Decided to wear them one night. We were going to dinner in Positano. Going down the gangplank stairs in new, slippery bottomed shoes. Got the picture? Woosh...my feet fly out from under me and luckily I grab the railing. I was saved but my purse flies into the ocean. I mean projectile.

I have never seen a tender crew move so quickly. They had the tender untied, fired up, turned around and with a cherry picker-like pole, snagged my purse from the water. We all had a good laugh. The purse is like new.

In fact, it will be in my suitcase. It will have special sentimental value:)

See everyone on Sunday.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems like I can flip a coin and either way will be O.K. I'll see how much room is in the suitcase as far as the blazer is concerned but at least it's not mandatory from what I've read from all your appreciated responses. Two more days of work left...now I can start to get excited...I hope the martini glasses aboard are on ice...;)

That sure is a lot of people from one website to be on the same cruise, but if there are 55 couples (at most) then how on earth will we find each other? Since my husband and I are from Canada, just listen for the "eh" after each sentence. Well, that might not work for my husband because he is originally from Texas. We fly in on the 26th in the afternoon. We're at Hotel 1829. Unlike all of you, we will be working right up until Friday evening... Our Thanksgiving was several weeks ago. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. We will be celebrating our 2nd anniversary on Sunday (which was Thanksgiving 2 years ago)... so you'll be able to tell who we are since we'll be "cheersing" with champagne... oh wait! so will all of you! :) We're going to have to come up with something else.

I simply can't wait.

Does anyone have a "must read" list. I'm due for a new book on this trip. I usually grab them at the airport...

If you don't want to drag books with you because they weigh a fair bit I must say they have a very well stocked library full of books to read onboard, and a wonderful selection of DVDs to watch in your room... if you'd like music though, the CDs were mostly classical and country.

Also, on the second evening the captain in his welcome told us what the passenger "make up" was... there were only 6 Canadians on our cruise... mostly US and some Dutch, German, Swedish, and British. A wonderful group of people... we made a lot of new friends.

Archived