newbie questions from an oldie

sueajp

My brother and sister in law who are non cruisers won a trip to Alaska on Royal Caribbean for August. I think it is the Explorer:) of the Seas. We have not sailed on this ship even though we have 11 cruises to date. They are being given an ocean view cabin with the option of paying to upgrade to balcony. They were quoted $1000 something to upgrade to an E-3 cabin mid ship decks 6,7,8... or they could go cheaper for a more forward or aft. Sister in law gets sea sick.. Plus I am aware there would be more walking from those ends. Any thoughts, experiences would be helpful.Thanks!

I would avoid deck 6 balcony staterooms. The balcony wall is all metal on that deck, whereas it's half glass, half metal on higher decks. I also stay away from deck 10 to avoid potential noise from the pool deck above. Deck 7 or 8 would be fine.

One of the things I enjoyed about my Alaska cruise was the balcony. A good part of that cruise was scenic cruising and I spent some time on the balcony with binoculars observing the glaciers and shoreline. Add in room service for food and a bottle of wine and it makes for a pleasant experience.

As far as cabin selection, when making that decision by category, look at the deck plan. See how things are situated on the ship, where the elevators are located relative to the cabin, etc.

My brother and sister in law who are non cruisers won a trip to Alaska on Royal Caribbean for August. I think it is the Explorer:) of the Seas. We have not sailed on this ship even though we have 11 cruises to date. They are being given an ocean view cabin with the option of paying to upgrade to balcony. They were quoted $1000 something to upgrade to an E-3 cabin mid ship decks 6,7,8... or they could go cheaper for a more forward or aft. Sister in law gets sea sick.. Plus I am aware there would be more walking from those ends. Any thoughts, experiences would be helpful.Thanks!

You might get more response on the RC board seeing as you are asking about that line and a specific RC ship.

I would also do a "dummy" booking on the RC website to check out the prices being offered and what is available.

Mid ship, lower deck, is usually considered the best for those prone to feeling movement. Also, if you go to the RC website you can look at deck plans and proximity to elevators, etc.

Sometimes the trip up to and down from Alaska can involve high seas. Your SIL should definitely take Bonine since she gets seasick, but I also strongly recommend she visit her doctor and get a prescription for Trans Derm Scops which may be needed if there are high seas. She should get the prescription filled at home and take it with her, just in case. Also, make sure she knows that if nothing she brought with her works, she should go to the ship's doctor. He can give her a shot to help with the seasickness.

As to cabins, I don't think they should pay to upgrade. They can easily go on deck to see the sights - why spend $1000 extra on a room? I would put that money into a fabulous once in a lifetime shore excursion such as Flightseeing over the Misty Fjords, or taking a Helicopter to land on Hubbard Glacier.

If you go to the RCL website you will see that a midship balcony runs 850.00 per person more than a ocean view. If they can upgrade for 1000.00 total that's a good discount. Voyager class is now considered a mid sized ship so I wouldn't worry about to much walking. It still seems like a pricy upgrade unless sea sickness is a real concern. The best thing about a balcony other than the view is that you keep the door open for fresh air. As stated above, keep away from deck 6. happy cruising