Jen Baxter CD

You will get a wide range of opinions on this one, and there are posters here who genuinely don't like her. I'm not one of them. :D

She is British and has that dry British humor. She can be loud, but she's very petite and I blame that on her trying to project better. She is very nice and if you get a chance to meet/talk to her, I would encourage you to do so. Enjoy your Alaska cruise!!

I'm one of the ones that didn't care for her. While I have no problem with a dry sense of humor (I am often quite dry, myself), I found her to be incredibly raunchy, even in "family friendly" settings. There were a few times I actually took my young son out of a show because of the "jokes" she was telling.

Now before I am jumped on, let me say that I am not talking about taking my son to an R rated comedy or something. I am talking about the nightly production shows, which up until that cruise, we have always enjoyed as a family, with no problems. But she made comments and jokes that were just down right disgusting, and, IMHO, completely inappropriate.

I sailed with her 3 times. Once she was an assistant on the Sensation, and when she was CD on the Glory and Triumph. Frankly, I could not for the life of me figure out how she got promoted! The screeching was what got me. Take the normal CD announcements and pump up the volume to ear splitting levels when announcing the arrival in port early in the AM and pushing all the various sales. I now check the CD list to make sure she is not the CD on any cruises we are looking at booking.

I have never cared who the CD is or isn't.

Doesn't change my cruise in any way.

However, when she was our CD was the only time on any cruise I have had ANY opinion on the CD.

Every time I heard the speakers come on I would dread hearing her annoying screeeeeeching voice.

She yelled and screeched every word she said and I honestly do not understand how they let her continue that annoying noise.

Since you asked, think of a cross between

Judge Judy on a rant

and

a chainsaw.

Haha!!! My husband said it's a cross of Kathy Griffin and Rebel Wilson! :')

We didn't really care for her either. I have no problem with a dry sense of humor either. Like someone else said, she was a bit too much at family shows. Again, if I'm in the comedy club, I expect it. But not at the morning shopping show, or whatever.

Now, having given my opinion on her, it didn't really impact my cruise. I just ignored her for the most part and we had plenty of things to do and keep us busy. I've never picked a cruise because of a ship or cruise director, I pick an itinerary and go! ;)

I spent 18 days with her on the Legend last September from Honolulu to Sydney. She gets a bad rap on the forums but she is a lovely lady who goes above and beyond to make your experience memorable... every night she had put a lot of effort if her outfits and costumes for the costume parties. She would speak to you in the guest areas if she was walking by and treated you like a star.

She also has a thing for wombats. A wombat is a fat furry pig looking thing native to Australia... if you speak to her ask her how her time was sleeping with the giraffes in Australia... that was the thing she was planning to do after she left the Legend in Sydney back in November...

Also if you are doing the Legend in Alaska you may have another young English girl onboard apart of the entertainment staff who runs the creative cove. Her name is Zoe and she is such a gem too...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't believe some of the comments people are posting about Jen Baxter. She was very entertaining, a fun person to chat with, and very good at her job.

I usually don't care about the CD on my ship and Jen did nothing to make me think she deserves the criticism people lump on her.

In fact, one Sea Day on a cruise way back when, it rained pretty good, so she put together a crew talent show in the Main Theater to entertain the passengers. Pretty cool!

Go on the cruise, have fun, and be a free spirit like the CD.

Where do you find who your CD will be? How often do they change ships? I am sailing Legend at the end of May.

And since no one asked, I was on the Conquest last June and I think the CD was named Josh. I absolutely loved him!

I am one who liked her a lot. She was CD on my Freedom cruise in 2014. Her voice, demeanor did not bother me at all. I did not find that she did any more announcements than any other CD, but when she did, I did not have a problem with her voice. She is one of the few CDs I have ever seen out and about on the ship, and seemed very approachable. I did not notice anything raunchy that she said, but I did not yet have my hearing aids at that point lol:D

I can't believe some of the comments people are posting about Jen Baxter. She was very entertaining, a fun person to chat with, and very good at her job.

I usually don't care about the CD on my ship and Jen did nothing to make me think she deserves the criticism people lump on her.

In fact, one Sea Day on a cruise way back when, it rained pretty good, so she put together a crew talent show in the Main Theater to entertain the passengers. Pretty cool!

Go on the cruise, have fun, and be a free spirit like the CD.

I agree, some of the remarks seem a bit harsh and undeserved imo.

WE have sailed with her twice.

First time, on the Freedom out of Galveston.... she really did seem a bit aggressive and annoying. We didn't care for her.

Second time, on Legend Alaska..... she was actually pretty good. Don't know what was the difference, if it was that we knew her already, or if she was toned down, but I liked her that time, my DH still does not.

She is very Brittish.... wild dyed red hair and nutty costumes. She does yell a lot. But she is funny, with that Brit humor, and will say about anything that enters her head. She is not politically correct, a bit over the top at times.

Jen Baxter was our CD on Legend from Honolulu to Vancouver last May and I LOVED her! OMG - She is so funny and bubbly! Lots of sparkles, lots of great one liners, warm and inviting and involved with the guests. When does that woman sleep? LOL I've been on 24 cruises and besides John Heald, Jen is the only other CD that ever made a difference in the enjoyment of my cruise. I would love to have the opportunity to sail with her again. She's a kick! :D

We sailed with Jenn Baxter on the Freedom in 2014 and enjoyed her. She was always bubbly and seemed to genuinely enjoy being around the guests. I never noticed anything "off-color" that she said but, again, that's been a few years ago and things may have changed.

I would rate her in our top three favorite CD's. Mike Pack was our CD on the Breeze last year and was the absolute best we've ever had. I'll be the first to admit that I don't think a CD can cause you to have a bad cruise, but they can sure liven things up and that's exactly what he did. I would love to get the chance to sail with him as CD again.

Our other favorite was Big Tex who is no longer with the company from my understanding. He was our first and was hilarious!!

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2017 at 3:47 PM, momof1son said:

I'm one of the ones that didn't care for her. While I have no problem with a dry sense of humor (I am often quite dry, myself), I found her to be incredibly raunchy, even in "family friendly" settings. There were a few times I actually took my young son out of a show because of the "jokes" she was telling.

Now before I am jumped on, let me say that I am not talking about taking my son to an R rated comedy or something. I am talking about the nightly production shows, which up until that cruise, we have always enjoyed as a family, with no problems. But she made comments and jokes that were just down right disgusting, and, IMHO, completely inappropriate.

I don’t need any crude cruise director, thanks.  I want the CD to be fun and respectful of all guests., young ,old etc etc.  Good clean fun is what I like.