Packing cubes

JohnsBride23

I just bought a large vacuum bag for a dollar just to experiment. I put 12 dresses, 3 tank tops, 2 shorts, 1 pants, 3 bikinis. I did not use a vacuumn, just pushed the air out and I still have room for more in the bag. It lays in the bottom of my carryon with still room for much more.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Now that is some crazy rolling! I would never have the patience to roll all my clothes up like that but it was helpful! I have actually used the bundle packing technique once and it did work great. Our clothes had hardly a wrinkle but you have to fold everything as you unpack it which was kind of a pain. The 2nd time I tried it, I couldn't get it to come out right. I think I was going too fast. Thank you for posting the video. Even thought I won't roll everything quite like that, I did bookmark the video for later use.

It is actually kind of fun. The jeans roll is worth the effort. T-shirts too. Some place I have a video on "The correct way to fold a suit coat." for packing and it is a great technique. It stays wrinkle free and takes up much less space. If I can find it I will edit this post and put it at the end.

Edit:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, SOLD, getting two sets of these for our Alaska cruise in a few months... not for luggage weight purposes as we can check two (2) bags each plus take two (2) carry on's but to use for our few days in Denali when a suitcase is not really warranted, we can pop two cubes in the back seat of the car and go!

Thanks!

I bought a bunch of various sizes. Will see how they perform on our upcoming trip. They really are light and thin. They look like canvas but they hardly weigh much. Now I don't have to be the person in-charge of answering "where is my favourite T-shirt?" or re-organizing the pile of dug up clothes in the suite case!

Found a great deal:D

This thread inspired me. First checked a container store but the prices seemed too much for a trial run. Then, found an Ikea 4 piece set on line and the cost seemed decent at 9.99 marked down to 7.99 for Ikea 'family' members (free to join). Decided to run to store to pick them up and was ecstatic to see they were marked down to 4.99 for the 4 piece set! Had to wait for a new shipment to come in to pick up some additional sets the next week.

Details:

1 small bag (10x6"), 1 large bag (13x10"), 1 large bag with two compartments (13¾x10") and 1 shoe bag (17x9").

Hi!

I bought and used packing cubes last year for a trip to Europe. I love them. But that being said I LOVE the folding clothes holder that is sold as an add on. I don't remember what they call it. You fold your clothes around the plastic insert, then slide them off the insert and place them in the folder. then you place the plastic piece on top of your clothes and velcro it shut. I fit enough clothing for a ten day trip to Italy in this little gadget as well as three packing cubes for undies/socks/cords for all my electronics and shoes. I use them on all my trips now.

I bought mine online but I have seen them plenty of times at tjmaxx, marshalls etc. Near the luggage.

Have a blast on your cruise!

I'll definitely share! He'll appreciate the shout outs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tell the CEO of ebags this too! I got the Motherlode Jr backpacks and I've died and gone to heaven. They are small enough to pass as a personal item (fits under the seat in front of you on a plane) and can carry no joke, a weeks worth of clothes. My husband and I are DIE HARD carry on only people after almost missing a flight out of Cancun due to having to check my bag. I have cubes, I have the largest possible carry on and the Motherlode Jr.... I can now travel for months without ever having to check my stuff.

But back to the packing cube stuff. I think they are great for getting a lot of stuff into a little area. So if I were going to check bags, I don't think I would used cubes. But since I am a carry on person, cubes are great!

Found a great deal:D

This thread inspired me. First checked a container store but the prices seemed too much for a trial run. Then, found an Ikea 4 piece set on line and the cost seemed decent at 9.99 marked down to 7.99 for Ikea 'family' members (free to join). Decided to run to store to pick them up and was ecstatic to see they were marked down to 4.99 for the 4 piece set! Had to wait for a new shipment to come in to pick up some additional sets the next week.

Details:

1 small bag (10x6"), 1 large bag (13x10"), 1 large bag with two compartments (13¾x10") and 1 shoe bag (17x9").

This is an amazing deal! 4 piece set and it truly is marked $4.99 in Ikea but online it's listed as 7.99. Not sure how long the item will be 4.99 so stock up! Hopefully it's not being discontinued! My Ikea only had dark blue.

I alwYs pack toomuch and go over that dreaded 50 lb linit ...which brings me lots of stress

So since I bought the packing tubes they help curb my tendency to overpack ..If it fits it comes if it does not ..lit stays home ..I try to coordinate neutral tops with different bottoms for more options

Roll your clothes real tight place them side by side in the bag I put teeshirts and tops in one bag same for shortsand slacks or capris .place them upright in suitcase one beside the other ..spaces are for shoes

It really works well

I take the bags out and put them on shelves ...I unpack in no time

Things that need uncreasing do come out and I hang them up

If you share space this is the easiest way to keep you stuff together

I really like them ...I hope they help you too

For infrequent travelers and cruisers that do 1, 2 or 3 cruises a week and not on the road a lot, the Ikea-branded packing cubes & aids should work just fine. The discounted price is a nice one, bring the costs down even further - I see no reasons for them to discontinue it, and I used them as well.

We travel by air, land & sea on a year-round basis, easily 60+ nights each year plus cruising ... and live out of our 22" rollers with packing cubes. Easily transfer in/out of drawers, dressers, closets and shelves. All these fit into my 18" cabin backpack flying.

12db9805fa059ab4946a0b9e9f0b8e44.jpg

We used both eBags and Eagle Creeks - packing cubes are excellent & lifetime warranty, and can be washed as needed once a long while. Color-coding made it great for easy cross-packing when 2 people are traveling together. By rolling & stuffing, compressing while packing - the 22" roller will never allow us to exceed the 44 lbs. limit in case we need to check luggage ... as regional flights in Asia on LCC sometimes only allow 20 kg or 44 lbs. and not 50 lbs (22.7 kg). Ever try lifting a 40+ lbs. carry-on bag onto those plane's overhead bin - not fun as we all get older. Sometimes, we have no choice when bin space run out on a late connecting flight and has to gate-check the bags ... easy to pull out one small or medium packing cube with all the essentials, intended as strict carry-on, with the medications & electronics and valuables, etc.

c739d0910c889eea98ae02275abd1096.jpg

Packing cubes worked great on NCL ships, whether it's the smaller ships with real drawers or the newer mega-ships with mainly open shelves.

83b026310f51cb4eb6725bc143fd1298.jpg

bebe8aba3436ab71cb166bb159b4b2f3.jpg

3260b9c27f279a6f327fce96aceb64e1.jpg

Edited by mking8288

They weigh ounces .... like reusable grocery bag .... nice and lite.... The cubes are great quality. I watched some you tube videos before buying mine and was very pleased with quality.

You mostly gain the organization with the cubes. I also use the bags that you press all the air out (space bags) and this is where I find that i gain more luggage space. I put the space bags inside the packing cubes; however, the downside is that the weight of the clothes doesn't disappear into 'space'.....haha cracking myself up on a Tuesday morning

Your "the weight of the clothes doesn't disappear into 'space'" phrase really stuck in my head! LOL I've been repeating this phrase whenever I tried to explain to others about the benefits of my packing cubes. :D

I tried a simulated packing. Wow, those packing cubes really did wonder to save space while keeping everything organized. But like you said, the weight doesn't disappear into space, so my luggage is still very heavy.

I bought the Eagle Creek ones as well as a set of Ikea ones. The Ikea ones work too but they do not have "depth" to stand alone when opened. So when you unzip the tightly rolled clothes, the whole content "exploded". They still have the benefits of organizing the clothes but not nearly as good as the Eagle Creek ones. But for fraction of the price, I will keep the Ikea ones too.

Hi mking, may I ask what brand is your carry on? It looks so light. Thanks!

One of my favorite, 22" airline-sized MLC expandable soft side, solidly built w lifetime no questions asked warranty, by eBags, the TLS Motherlode Weekender Convertible. Empty weight is about 4 lbs, YKK zippers w. locking rings, expandable side for extra packing space, organizer pockets inside & a "hidden" laptop compartment on the backside, next to a pair of hidden backpack straps.

Has been using it for about 6 or 7 years around the world for air, land/road trips and cruises. I can travel for 4 to 6 nights with this alone, and it can easily tip the scale at 20 kg or 44 lbs but still qualify as domestic airline carry-on luggage as it will fit the airport "sizer" easily ... can't do that with my bigger Kirkland Signature 22.75" carry-on by Costco.

Fits on just one shelf on any NCL ship, just drop the packing cubes into drawers or open shelves. Price paid then, brand new was about $55 shipped free. Nowadays, $85 to $95 when on sale with extra 25% or 30% off. Junior size is 18" tall or 4" shorter for about $10 less.30f995973a71b7d940518a738b38a387.jpg74379f371c0de0d14653eca1f145762e.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugvhc1ns5mtwz6x/PIXOS0331-1158.jpg?dl=0

via dual-sims R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

I did two weeks in Europe with the ebags Motherlode and the only thing I didn't like was that I didn't also use packing cubes, so my clothes would move around and get wrinkled.

I now have a couple sets of packing cubes that I really like using. I lay out what I want to pack and divide by items type - undies/socks/bras, shirts, bottoms, workout/swim, fancy - and choose the size bag for what I'm bringing. I tried the one outfit per ziplock strategy, but it didn't work for me. I often wear one outfit during the day and another at night. A short enough time that items can be reworn. So I keep my cubes in drawers broken up by item types that go together. When an item is dirty and no longer wearable, it goes in my suitcase. To go home, everything is shoved in there because it's all going in the wash anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
One of my favorite, 22" airline-sized MLC expandable soft side, solidly built w lifetime no questions asked warranty, by eBags, the TLS Motherlode Weekender Convertible. Empty weight is about 4 lbs, YKK zippers w. locking rings, expandable side for extra packing space, organizer pockets inside & a "hidden" laptop compartment on the backside, next to a pair of hidden backpack straps.

Has been using it for about 6 or 7 years around the world for air, land/road trips and cruises. I can travel for 4 to 6 nights with this alone, and it can easily tip the scale at 20 kg or 44 lbs but still qualify as domestic airline carry-on luggage as it will fit the airport "sizer" easily ... can't do that with my bigger Kirkland Signature 22.75" carry-on by Costco.

Fits on just one shelf on any NCL ship, just drop the packing cubes into drawers or open shelves. Price paid then, brand new was about $55 shipped free. Nowadays, $85 to $95 when on sale with extra 25% or 30% off. Junior size is 18" tall or 4" shorter for about $10 less.30f995973a71b7d940518a738b38a387.jpg74379f371c0de0d14653eca1f145762e.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugvhc1ns5mtwz6x/PIXOS0331-1158.jpg?dl=0

via dual-sims R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Thanks Mking! I finally have time to study the TLS Mother Lode carry on. The Mother Lode Weekender Convertible has no wheels, am I right? Wouldn't it be hard to carry this around when full (44lbs)? I also saw the TLS Mother Lode Mini 21" that seems perfect but weighs 8lb 11oz and costs $300CAD (around $220 US)? Is it worth it for the weight? Do you think if it can hold up to rough baggage handling if I am ever forced to check it due to lack of overhead bin rooms on the plane?

Edited by CH_ca

Hi, for US carriers, it's fully compliant as 22" carry-on and fit the sizer, but it can get heavy - never had issues flying Delta, United or JetBlue. Unless it's a commuter or regional jet w small OHB, I try not to book those flights connections to/from NY. Gate checked it a few times free when it won't fit or on a tight segment when all the bins are taken. It's tough & came out of luggage carousel just fine, mine is like 7 or 8 years and still almost like new, minor wear & tear, all the straps & clips working. And it's backed by their solid warranty.

I did a quick price, with a 25% code off, it's about $142 CAD, free shipping. VAT adding another $41 or $42, ouch for the convertible without wheels. If you have a bag to trade-in, they will ship it free & give you $25 USD credit, good for this or any purchase of $75 or more. On my smartphone now, I can send you links for the details later ... that should help. Also, did you check Amazon's​ eBags store for Canada, also eBay as they have a store with .CA for prices.

I paid under $60 for mine then, wow. Here are eBags in action on our recent cruise.

bc12c5b87e4dd7256754ecb6c57b4218.jpg

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Check out Rick Steves website and YouTube channel for packing tips as well. He recommends packing cubes too, as do I. If your bag is selected for an extra "check" makes it so easy! (I've never had them ask me to open the cubes as they can either feel the clothes or see through the cube's mesh top). Packing cubes or compression bags (or both) are a MUST when packing fleece. Packing cubes can provide some compression, obviously compression bags do it more.

His YouTube channel has his packing light classes on there. A recent discovery of mine - haven't watched them yet, although I certainly used his tips to travel using one carry on bag for a 3 week trip to Europe. That was in 2004, and I've checked a bag ONCE since then (last April, on direct flight to D.C. Got upgraded to first class, and was at the airport earlier than usual. Easier to shop and dine without the carry on, so I checked it for free.).

Thanks for the visuals, MKing! My first cruise, which will be this summer, is out of a nearby port, so I wasn't as concerned about whether or not it was carry on size, etc. Was contemplating a bigger bag vs. two smaller ones. NOw I'm definitely doing the two smaller ones so they can fit on that upper shelf and be out of the way!

Did you really hand carry this 44lb bag (when full) on your trips?! Since I'm not very strong, maybe I should consider the mini 21" (8lb 11oz)? I really like the 4lb Mother Lode Convertible! :loudcry:

Anyway, my first trip experience with packing cubes is great! Great organizing, great compressing of clothes, and great no more "where's my shirt?" since everybody has his/her own colour coded packing cubes! Love them!

Did you really hand carry this 44lb bag (when full) on your trips?! ... maybe I should consider the mini 21" (8lb 11oz)? I really like the 4lb Mother Lode Convertible! :loudcry:

Yes, I've done it on long trips when it's really loaded - with laptop & all the electronics, gadgets, etc. - especially with airlines/flights that strictly enforced the one bag policy (and, pretty much nothing bigger than a slim backpack as the 2nd. cabin bag) on a full, holiday flight or connection. Otherwise, with high density, semi-compressed packing - usually tipped the scale around 39 to 40 lbs, less when it's warmer weather with fewer heavier wear items. It gets heavy with the expansion zipper unwinded - had that at 49.5 lbs, still within limits for flying coach ... except in Europe & Asia where checked luggage is often at 44 lbs. or 20 kg. I replaced the shoulder strap with something better as in hand-carry mode, it's not fun to walk down the airport concourse & out to the parking lot/curbside for ground transportation - out comes the hidden backpack straps. Or, use a luggage cart (overseas, they are often free ... here at home in the US, not so much)

The 21" roller is basically the same, with the hard shell/set of wheels - and, pack almost as much as the convertible - very roomy especially unzipped for that extra 1.5" of height (like its convertible siblings) - empty weight of about 5 lbs. in difference - enough for the entire trip's underwears, sleepwear & socks, etc. And, we do try to do a load of laundry while traveling, if we can ... to cut down on overall weight as carried.

eBags is currently offering a 25% discount, highest is 30% - if you wanted to be patient & wait for it. Lowest US prices now is $97.49 shipped free (use Promotion Code: EMBL053017)

To get $25 off, sign up for email and you should receive an unique code for $25 off. Otherwise, do the "Trade In, Trade Up" deal by sending in a backpack, handbag or other eligible items in good, working conditons for "recycling" and get a $25 code to use. https://www.ebags.com/landingpages/trade-in-trade-up

If you aren't in a hurry to get this, set this up and watch the email for the 30% sales/promotion - which should bring the price of the convertible down to about $100 USD or its equivalent in CAD - VAT & sales tax for Canada should be covered by the $25 discount, more of less. If you can send this to someone in the US for you, possibly saving $$ on import/VAT collected.

Click under the USA flag on the upper right corner to switch to CA pricing - with the above code, $141 CAD is the final price, plus $41 for duties & taxes - for a total of under $183 CAD - shipped free with Canada Post Expedited Parcel (before applying a $25 eBag credit or discount)

A little pricey but still a fraction of the a B&R or Tumi, better & solid warranty vs. Travelpro used by flight crews - handled with care, it can easily last 10+ years under normal use.

eBags also has a very nice, no questions asked return & exchange policy - try it out & use it, and if you don't like it - the pre-printed, free return label is included, just ship it back ... keep all the booklets, tags & accessory items together for a full refund.

Thanks Mking! I finally have time to study the TLS Mother Lode carry on. The Mother Lode Weekender Convertible has no wheels, am I right? Wouldn't it be hard to carry this around when full (44lbs)? I also saw the TLS Mother Lode Mini 21" that seems perfect but weighs 8lb 11oz and costs $300CAD (around $220 US)? Is it worth it for the weight? Do you think if it can hold up to rough baggage handling if I am ever forced to check it due to lack of overhead bin rooms on the plane?

I have the motherlode junior, and I love it! It is 19.5" (exterior dimension). The junior size will get you through carry-on for every airline, including international discount carriers like Ryanair, whereas the normal size will be considered a checked bag on airlines that have smaller carry-on requirements.

For me, it has enough room for a week when using packing cubes, but my toiletries for longer trips have to go in a separate bag (but I use a ton of toiletries between hair and makeup).

These are less like a backpack and more like actual luggage, the only difference is that you carry it on your back (like a backpack). It doesn't have wheels, but it opens like a suitcase. The point of having this instead of one with wheels is to leave your hands free, and to make it easier to navigate through crowds (to carry purses, food, drinks, plane tickets, to hold children's hands, push a stroller, wheelchair, or help children with their luggage etc). If neither of those things seems like a "need" for you, get a different bag.

If you can carry 30-50 pounds on your back, you're fine, but if you have back issues or can't carry that much weight, it might be a better bag for short trips rather than long ones (because you will pack less). I bought mine on sale for 30% off and it was $86, but well worth it I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl