Selfie Stick

vamommyof3

LIke many things, because of the lack of consideration of a portion of people using them. If you take a picture in a hallway and your stick blocks the rest of the hallway and everyone has to stop, they get annoying, but if people are courteous they aren't too bad. I've had people with selfie stick behind me put them over my head and in front of me to get a photo.

Personally, I'd prefer to ban all self phone cameras period! (Mostly just kidding) My niece asked me to get some nice pictures of her twins first birthday party, but it was hard to do with all the 7 year olds with Iphones in the baby's faces. I had to elbow a few of those girls in their noses quite hard to get them to move, then more moved in! (Again, mostly kidding)

Im always careful not to be in anyone's way when using the selfie stick.. and only use it when there's very few people around. We're not ppl who walk around with it in front of us either. But ofc, not everyone is like that.

If someone is around to just turn away because they are bothered, did you know that that means that someone is there to be asked "please will you take our picture?"

Other people do have uses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly I hate bothering ppl and just prefer to take my own pictures. DH prefers asking strangers to take our photos.. some photos turn our really good and others, bad.. once a guy thought it was funny to snap multiple selfies of him and one of us.. which DH blinked in. DH thinks it funny and hung it in his man cave.

I bought a selfie stick for my solo European cruise last fall as I knew I wanted to take some photos on my own. However, I wasn't shy to ask people to take a picture of me with my traditional camera as well.

I'm not opposed to people using one to capture memories of their vacation, as long as they are considerate of others. Mines will be packed for my next trip.

I will often offer to take pictures for someone so they can be in the picture. They are always grateful for this gesture. In return, I ask that person to take a picture of me and my wife, which they happily reciprocate. Works every time!

That line.."as long as they are considerate"....yes that is fine but in my travels I see way too many of them who are not at all considerate.

DaveKathy, no photobombs, my dad was a PhD chemist, specialized in explosives and solid propellents, my son is a PhD chemical engineer with a specialty in plastics and coatings...if I was going to bomb....oh, I was a professional photographer for 47years, when I used a selfie stick (Camera on monopod held above a crowd for a different view of a mob scene) I was always careful and aware of others....so call it a personal peeve with me and the selfie stick crew

I worked for Kodak after I got out of college for about 20 years and to this day I still offer to take a camera or phone from a person taking a regular picture so they can be a part of the picture and I even return the camera/phone. Old school I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Different company, same attitude.

I see a number of passengers having a difficult time walking around the "islands" with those selfie sticks shoved up their butt by the "natives". Don't be one of those Ugly Americans.........

Interesting comment. That has not been my experience.

I bought a $5 selfie stick from walmart. Not with bluetooth so I didn't have to keep it charged. It used the app already on my phone for the camera. I loved it because hubby and I could take the pictures we wanted with both of us in it. I would extend the stick take the picture then put it back in my bag. We weren't swinging it around or taking panoramic pictures with it by any means. Enjoy!

Me too. I've only used it 3 or 4 times in 2 years, but it's a handy gadget for a couple quick photos and then it collapses down to nothing.

On my last trip I wish I had brought a pair of garden shears to cut all the selfie sticks.

All those people take photos of themselves constantly is so idiodic ......

I have that same feeling all the time,

I don't know why some people are so bothered by selfie sticks. If you see someone using one.. just look away... I have one that I've used a few times, its the only way DH and I can both be in the picture.

People who use them are intrusive to others, and seem to think they are the only people around. I've lost count as to how many times we have had to:

• Duck because people are swinging it around to get a picture from a different angle
  • Had a wait line held up because the people in front need to get a picture. We even had one couple in front of us in a line for a tour at the Heiniken Museum who asked a few of us to move so they could get a picture. Not thinking "let's move ahead so that everyone in the tour group can get in". No their thought was, "let's just hold it up and ask people to move so that we can get a picture of us in front of a building that doesn't even say Heinikin on it"
  • Had it interfere with my view of something

I could go on and on...

Since they came out we have traveled to different states, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, and France. We have always managed to have pictures of us in each place. We either ask someone to take a picture or we just hit reverse on our camera phone and take it.

We went to Disney last year and were thrilled knowing they aren't allowed.

People who use them are intrusive to others, and seem to think they are the only people around. I've lost count as to how many times we have had to:

At the Trevi fountain people kept sticking them in front of my view. A bunch of self centered cretins.

You don't need a selfie stick to get a selfie. Those who have the sticks are twits.

Some of you people do nothing but complain, what the heck is the difference if they are taking a picture with a selfie stick or if taking a picture with a camera either way you still need to stop until the picture is taking or be a JERK and just keep walking.

Some of you people do nothing but complain, what the heck is the difference if they are taking a picture with a selfie stick or if taking a picture with a camera either way you still need to stop until the picture is taking or be a JERK and just keep walking.

I will stop for people taking a picture with a camera. If someone asks me to take their picture with their phone or camera I will gladly stop and do it. If they have a selfie stick I will keep walking, I don't care if I photo bomb them. [emoji12]

I think like any tool, a selfie stick can be misused or used during inappropriate settings. If you are operating it safely and aren't getting in anyone's way, there shouldn't be a problem with it. The problem is...not everyone does that. Hence the ban in some places. I see no problem with using them in open areas that aren't crowded. It's much more convenient, safer, and less intrusive than a full tripod (which I used to carry around, with a shoulder strap and all -- but I also used this with consideration for others and safety).

And while there are sometimes kind people willing to take the picture for you...what if they don't take a good picture and you don't like it? I hate to impose by asking for a re-take or asking another person to take the picture. Or what if they drop your camera/phone by accident? Not sure what to do in that case!

When my family took a paddle boat ride in Cozumel last year, the selfie stick was the only way to get a good photo of the three of us together. We have short arms and obviously had no where to put a tripod and nobody to ask to take the pictures for us ;)

The difference is the selfie stick itself. It often gets in the way of others, and can even be a danger in terms of hitting others.

I think like any tool, a selfie stick can be misused or used during inappropriate settings. If you are operating it safely and aren't getting in anyone's way, there shouldn't be a problem with it. The problem is...not everyone does that. Hence the ban in some places. I see no problem with using them in open areas that aren't crowded. It's much more convenient, safer, and less intrusive than a full tripod (which I used to carry around, with a shoulder strap and all -- but I also used this with consideration for others and safety).

I would not ban them. I am grumpy about them because a bunch of times people have blocked the view with them. The first time, but not the last time, was at the Trevi fountain in Rome. I had never seen them before, at the begining of the selfie stick fad. It was pretty annoying at the fountain, they kept sticking the sticks in front of me.

So weird that anyone would care about how many selfies someone may take. How does it concern you if someone loves their selfies (- provided they don't poke you in the eye or use them in unsuitable places like a temple). And they are often a lot less annoying then someone standing back across the walking path to take a photo and snarling as people try to walk past.

When travelling solo they are fairly essential. Sure you can get others to take your photo but it is often easier to do it yourself.

So weird that anyone would care about how many selfies someone may take. How does it concern you if someone loves their selfies (- provided they don't poke you in the eye or use them in unsuitable places like a temple). And they are often a lot less annoying then someone standing back across the walking path to take a photo and snarling as people try to walk past.

When travelling solo they are fairly essential. Sure you can get others to take your photo but it is often easier to do it yourself.

I'm still trying to figure out why people think they need to be in every photo, sometimes the best Image is the photograph of the object and not someone's large face in front of it. JMOHO.

Mike

My problem with them is two fold, and it's not the stick, but the user...

1. I've been hit with too many

2. I'll be standing taking a photo, when, suddenly in my viewfinder, a selfie stick.

Not sure if it's just people concentrate on the selfie and pay no attention to what is around them or just it is self absorbed people that are into selfies.

:pIt has absolutely nothing to do with the selfie stick. It has everything to do with who is handling the selfie stick. People, if you have a selfie stick, use it responsibly and enjoy!

Black13

4-1-17

I'm still trying to figure out why people think they need to be in every photo, sometimes the best Image is the photograph of the object and not someone's large face in front of it. JMOHO.

Mike

Exactly! I much prefer taking pictures of only the sight that I'm looking at, without feeling like I need to be in the shot. It's not like I need some kind of proof that I was there.

There is a middle ground...not everybody who uses a selfie stick thinks they need to be in every photo. For example, just the occasional group or family photo. It doesn't have to be used incessantly or to the exclusion of taking other types of pictures. People should be able to use a selfie stick responsibly without being or feeling judged.

OP, feel free to bring the selfie stick with you.