Barcelona cracking down on day tourists

Minoushka

Barcelona is complaining they have too many tourists .Well easily solved makecruise ship depart from Southern Spain or Baleares ...How long before they complain they miss the tourists ???

Some people complain with mouths full

Barcelona is complaining they have too many tourists .Well easily solved makecruise ship depart from Southern Spain or Baleares ...How long before they complain they miss the tourists ???

Are you in Barcelona now and hearing it directly from the townsfolk?

Probably not too long for the Pickpocket Union.

Which report are you referring to? This one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2610312/Barcelona-ruined-mass-tourism-claims-documentary.html

If so this was 3 years ago and is old news.

There are lots of cities that depend on tourists to survive (and even there you will find plenty of people who hate tourists); Barcelona is not one of them. Tourism brings a lot of money into the city, but if it prevents other sectors of the economy from functioning, it makes sense to regulate it.

I don't know what prompted the OP to start this thread, after all contempt for tourists is nothing new in Barcelona. But the city has recently put a freeze on all new hotel developments in the city (which is a strange way of going about things, because it has no direct impact on the number of tourists).

To bring this back more specifically to the topic of cruising, Barcelona is not the only port that is starting to seriously resent the hordes of tourists visiting for the day with their cruise ship. Who spend next to nothing (relative to more traditional visitors that stay overnight at least) but have a huge negative impact on the local resources and infrastructure.

Help me understand what "cracking down" means. If we show up a day early, will we be denied entry?

It would be helpful if you'd share your source for this--difficult to have a discussion when we don't know what you heard from where and whether it's credible or just hearsay. I love Barcelona and will be visiting there again this fall, so I'd be interested in understanding where this is coming from...

Well, DH and I will be a couple of those "dreaded" tourists in Barcelona in about a month. Our first ever visit to that city. We are staying 2 nights in a hotel pre-cruise and have already purchased tickets to see various sites. We will be spending money there so hopefully they won't resent us too much :rolleyes:

And hopefully Sagrada Familia and Park Guell won't close the doors when they see us coming ;p

Well, DH and I will be a couple of those "dreaded" tourists in Barcelona in about a month. Our first ever visit to that city. We are staying 2 nights in a hotel pre-cruise and have already purchased tickets to see various sites. We will be spending money there so hopefully they won't resent us too much :rolleyes:

And hopefully Sagrada Familia and Park Guell won't close the doors when they see us coming ;p

Have a wonderful time! I spent 5 days there pre-cruise last year and found the locals to be quite friendly. :D

Barcelona is a very interesting city. You will not regret visiting it. I have been three times and would go back anytime.

A few pointers. The Sagrada Familia is not to be missed, as is the Gaudi House. The Hop On Hop Off bus is the best way to see the city. Everything important is covered. We had the two day pass.

A word of caution. Barcelona is the only European city that I ever had anything stolen, and on one occasion, I'm sure that had I not been super aware, we would have been the target for pick pocketers.

This is not to discourage you, only to warn you to be very cautious. As I said, I will return if I ever get the opportunity!

I agree with the 2016 article cited in post 13. Tourists are changing Barcelona in an unfavorable way. The small local shops & cafes are gone.

I wasn't happy to see a Hard Rock Cafe at Plaza Catalunya.

We first spent a few days in Barcelona in 1991 and fell in love with the city, especially with Gaudi's work. At that time no crowds in Parc Guell so no admission fee or tickets required. Also, very easy to walk around the exterior of La Sagrada Familia. No fence and little work.

Las Ramblas had lots of locals and mimes near Plaza Catalunya as well as all the way down to the waterfront. So much to see in all the neighborhoods.

Yes, there were pickpocketing problems even then.

13 years later, In 2004 we did a pre-cruise overnight in Hotel Royal on Las Ramblas and enjoyed a beer and bocadillo at our favorite sidewalk tables. Las Ramblas still had mimes there and lots of non-touristy atmosphere.

In 2007 during our pre-cruise sightseeing we could already see lots of unfavorable changes due to all the tourists.

This past November, 2016, we stayed two post-cruise nights at Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas. We had a private tour one day of several sights, including the interior of La Sagrada. That was awe-inspiring but so crowded. The second day we did the Ho-Ho bus routes and were goggle-eyed at so many changes. Too touristy. We still love Barcelona but probably will not be returning, preferring to remember it the way it was, before it was over-run by tourists.

Edited by NMLady

Fine find a smaller city. Other than Sagrada Familia & Las ramblas, it`s just a another big city, very little personality. JMHO

Really? Clearly you missed the Gaudi works, Parc Guell, the magic fountains, the beaches, the gothic district, the food, the architecture, etc.