What is the primary reason you book a Suite?

flagger

What is the primary reason you book a suite?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is the primary reason you book a suite?

• The space
    • The butler
    • The bathtub
    • The perks
    • Other reasons (please post)

When we booked a cruise on the Century in December 2002, it was necessary to book a suite if you wanted a balcony. That was when we booked our first sky suite. Even though we could get a balcony with a mini suite, we did not like their location and felt it was worth the relatively small price differential for a much larger cabin in a more desirable location of the ship. We enjoyed the space of that sky suite so much that we booked the same category on the Mercury a year later, even though the Mercury gives you the option of booking a regular sized cabin with a balcony. A bathtub is not important to me, but I love the fact that the bathrooms in the sky suite are so much larger.

We booked a Royal Suite as a gift to our mom. She's 88 and we thought that it might be her last cruise. We wanted her to feel special. Our butler, George, the space and all of the extras were wonderful. She loved the cruise and continually speaks about it. In other words, booking this suite worked. And if she passes tomorrow, she had some wonderful memories.

Whether we book a suite is 100% a function of the available cabin configurations of the ship we're sailing. My vote above was for "space", and that is in part because we tend to longer (11 ~ 14 nt) cruises where it makes more of a difference to us over time.

On the M-Class, we get more space both inside and on the veranda in an FV than we could possibly get in any M-Class Sky Suite, so we've never been interested in paying more money for less space in a Sky Suite! We're also happy enough with an aft CC, as while the cabin isn't quite as large, it's big enough, and the veranda more than makes up for that difference. So in terms of space, we're cool without a suite on M-Class and book cruises where one of our two other prefered cabin types is available.

HOWEVER, on the C-Class ships, and while it turns out to be a bit of overkill vs. the cabins mentioned above, you can't find a cabin as big as either the M-Class CC or FV without ordering up a Sky Suite, and then, it pays to be sure you're up on the Sky Deck or you'll still wonder where your veranda went!

So when it's a suite (as it will be next), it's for space because we're on one of the ships with smaller cabins like Galaxy.

14 more days and we're headed for Galveston!

I will take the opposite side on this and tell you why I don't book suites. I can cruise more often if I spend less on the cabin. I would rather spend two weeks in a standard balcony cabin then one week in a suite. This is the way that I feel now. I do plan on getting a suite some day. My views may change at that time. When I got my first balcony there was no looking back, it might be the same with suites.

We have had four Royal Suites on Century class vessels in less than two years, and have a Royal Suite on Mercury for the 11 night cruise embarking on Jan. 2nd. Why Royal Suites, you ask?

Well, my DW had never never been on a cruise before, so I booked a Royal Suite on Mercury. Even though she was ill on that cruise [not sea sickness], we both loved the space, the big bathroom, the walkin closet with the lighted vanity at the end, separate bedroom, large veranda [long], ordering off of the suite room service menu, catered dinners ensuite, etc. Not to mention a doting butler. On that cruise, we visited some new friends who had a Sky Suite on Deck 12, and were able to compare their cabin with ours.

Well! When it came to book the next cruise, I proposed that we book a Sky Suite - and the DW said that she wanted a Royal Suite. And I agreed because we do spend quite abit of time in our cabin and on our veranda. A real convenience is the separate bedroom where one can nap and the other can read in the living room or on the veranda.

Space is definately our answer to the poll, but there are a number of other major reasons for our booking a suite.

I couldn't answer this poll, because, in 17 cruises, we've never booked a suite. We usually try to book a 14 night or b2b 7 nighters, and a suite for all that time would make it a little too pricey for us to continue the longer sailings. I guess if we have to keep making a choice between cruising twice as long, or cruising in a suite, we'll more than likely choose to cruise twice as long, (unless our ship comes in!) :)

We've only had one suite. It was on a Royal Caribbean ship many years ago--before balcony cabins. We enjoyed the extra space, especially the larger bathroom with tub. At that time, suites had refrigerators and the other cabins did not. We enjoyed that perk.

Since then, we've sailed in balcony cabins a couple of times. My partner said after the first time with a balcony that he could never go back to a regular outside cabin. So I booked us in an inside cabin for our next cruise to teach him a lesson. We still had a great time. Since then we've had another balcony cabin, an obstructed view, and another inside (last year on the Century). An inside cabin on the Century is better than having a suite on some other cruise lines. We enjoyed the same wonderful food and service.

If you have the money and don't mind spending it on suites, go for it. I don't think the extra space and amenities are worth it for the short time we're on a cruise. But I wouldn't turn down an upgrade.

I couldn't answer this poll, because, in 17 cruises, we've never booked a suite. We usually try to book a 14 night or b2b 7 nighters, and a suite for all that time would make it a little too pricey for us to continue the longer sailings. I guess if we have to keep making a choice between cruising twice as long, or cruising in a suite, we'll more than likely choose to cruise twice as long, (unless our ship comes in!) :)

There are some cruise lines where you can book a suite for less than the cost of a balcony cabin on Celebrity for a comparable itinerary, and some are even less than Celebrity's oceanview cabins.

I don't think the extra space and amenities are worth it for the short time we're on a cruise. But I wouldn't turn down an upgrade.
For us, that's a key point. If we were taking a shorter cruise, the difference in space wouldn't matter as much. As an example, we just took an 8nt river cruise in Germany. Our cabin was only about 150 square feet, but it was a relatively short trip, and we never felt cramped during that time. I must compliment Viking on their cabins, though. Due to the layout, it felt bigger than it was.

Since we've started booking mostly longer cruises, we've been booking larger cabins.

There are some cruise lines where you can book a suite for less than the cost of a balcony cabin on Celebrity for a comparable itinerary, and some are even less than Celebrity's oceanview cabins.

And those cruise lines would be...?

And those cruise lines would be...?

At the time I booked my CC cabin on Constellation for next summer's Baltic Cruise, I could have booked a suite for less on Norwegian, Princess, or Holland America. However, I would rather have a CC cabin on Celebrity than sail in a suite for less on the other lines.

The space is definitely a factor for us. But honestly? We do love the perks, especially priority embarkation and tender tickets. Didn't mind having a shrimp cocktail delivered every afternoon, as well as the daily tea service.

Our first cruise experience was in the Celebrity Suite on the Infinity to Alaska. It was wonderful to gaze at the Inside Passage from the comfort of your own sofa in pajamas, but the cruise was so port intensive that we really did not get to enjoy it, so we just had to book it again for our transatlantic cruise on the Connie in 2006. After the crossing we will move to a CC since the Baltics will be another port intensive cruise. We had a Royal Suite on the Mercury cruise which provided the family with a private spot to relax together.

We could cruise more often in other staterooms, but we have decided that it is worth it to us to cruise less often, but in memorably suite surroundings. Since cruising is an indulgence, why not?

Susan

Archived