Our first TransArlantic - Weather? - How do we pack?

Ox Fan Cruiser

THIS (feels good to be able to say "THIS") month we board Eclipse for it's Transatlantic cruise. It starts on the 16th. After a stop in Nassau we go up to Bermuda. Then east to Lisbon then Southampton. What kind of temps (in F please) can we expect? On deck during the eastward crossing will it be bathing suit time? Shorts & a shirt? Long pants? Light jacket? Or God forbid Bundle up time?

Edited by Ox Fan Cruiser
mis sprlled word in title

We have done two TA crusies, one eastward and the other westward. Temps will be warm the first few days, the cooling as hit the Azores.

However, your cruise goes to Bermuda (it will probably be getting a bit chilly there) then on to Lisbon, which will be warmer than the Azores. You will be able to enjoy shorts for a few days, but then transition to browsers/pants for cooler, but not cold weather.

We did the transatlantic last April on the Silhouette. We didn't take the same route as you as we took the more southerly route but did end up in Southampton. Most of the way was a little cool but quite windy. Southampton was downright cold as far as AZ residents are concerned, low to mid 40s and windy. There were a few days where shorts and tshirts were the norm.

We did the transatlantic last April on the Silhouette. We didn't take the same route as you as we took the more southerly route but did end up in Southampton. Most of the way was a little cool but quite windy. Southampton was downright cold as far as AZ residents are concerned, low to mid 40s and windy. There were a few days where shorts and tshirts were the norm.

So not many people using the outdoor pool? BTW, is the pools heated?

We did your Eclipse Transatlantic route last year. The first few days you will probably have temperatures in the 70's or high 60's then you will find it cooler. Best advice I can give is to plan to dress in layers. Even if you are in shorts and t shirts during the day, you will need long pants or a skirt and long sleeve shirt by late afternoon. You would have to change anyway to meet the MDR requirements. The outdoor pool area might be suitable for swimming the first couple of days and then again when you are in Lisbon. At least you have the indoor pool option as an alternative. Last year the captain cancelled our Bermuda stop, but the previous year it was cool around 60 degrees and we had a bit of rain there. Do not plan to swim at the Bermuda beaches if it is that cold when you are there, however the beaches are beautiful to view. Southampton was around 50 degrees Fahrenheit each of the last two years we arrived there at the end of April. Suggest you bring at least one sweater and rain gear. Enjoy your cruise!

We did your Eclipse Transatlantic route last year. The first few days you will probably have temperatures in the 70's or high 60's then you will find it cooler. Best advice I can give is to plan to dress in layers. Even if you are in shorts and t shirts during the day, you will need long pants or a skirt and long sleeve shirt by late afternoon. You would have to change anyway to meet the MDR requirements. The outdoor pool area might be suitable for swimming the first couple of days and then again when you are in Lisbon. At least you have the indoor pool option as an alternative. Last year the captain cancelled our Bermuda stop, but the previous year it was cool around 60 degrees and we had a bit of rain there. Do not plan to swim at the Bermuda beaches if it is that cold when you are there, however the beaches are beautiful to view. Southampton was around 50 degrees Fahrenheit each of the last two years we arrived there at the end of April. Suggest you bring at least one sweater and rain gear. Enjoy your cruise!

Do you know why they skipped Bermuda? Was it a storm there were avoiding?

THIS (feels good to be able to say "THIS") month we board Eclipse for it's Transatlantic cruise. It starts on the 16th. After a stop in Nassau we go up to Bermuda. Then east to Lisbon then Southampton. What kind of temps (in F please) can we expect? On deck during the eastward crossing will it be bathing suit time? Shorts & a shirt? Long pants? Light jacket? Or God forbid Bundle up time?

There are plenty of weather sites that will give you the average temps for a specific city on any day of the year. I typically research this data and add it to my itinerary. I also add the ports to my weather app. Just checked and current weather( April 1) ranges from 38 F in Iceland to 76F in Nassau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to let you know so you won't be confused with Celsius and Fahrenheit Temps all you have to do is double the amount in Celsius and then add 30 to it.

14°c = 14 x 2 + 30 = 58° f

It's not perfect as you're really supposed to times the Celsius degree by 1.8 and add 32 for the exact answer, but the way I showed above should always have you within a degree or two and really there's not much difference between 57.2 and 58 when it comes to the weather temp.

Have fun

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

There are plenty of weather sites that will give you the average temps for a specific city on any day of the year. I typically research this data and add it to my itinerary. I also add the ports to my weather app. Just checked and current weather( April 1) ranges from 38 F in Iceland to 76F in Nassau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was asking more about the week at sea between Bermuda & Lisbon. What is it like mid Atlantic that time of year? How does the warmer Gulf Stream differ from the rest of the sea?