Spirit measures

smj777

On a CC review of Adonia, the poster stated;

"P&O still use the smallest spirit measure at sea being a small 25ml measure."

Is this true does anyone know? Seems a bit unlikely, but to me all G&Ts taste weak compared to the ones at home!

On a CC review of Adonia, the poster stated;

"P&O still use the smallest spirit measure at sea being a small 25ml measure."

Is this true does anyone know? Seems a bit unlikely, but to me all G&Ts taste weak compared to the ones at home!

Hi,it is true im afraid,thats why I drink doubles,cheers,Brian.

Spirits, unlike beer and wine, is comparatively not such a bargain on P&O. On American lines, and Cunard, their single measure is equivalent to about 44ml. Although Cunard do use a measure, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL "free pour". That seems to get you about the equivalent of a UK triple. If you bribe/tip;) a dollar per drink it can quickly become so strong that it is almost undrinkable. On the downside there is a 15-18% service charge added for the passengers' "convenience".

I think the 25ml measure was published on the P&O site somewhere. It does seem miserly as on NCL they used the 'glug glug glug' measuring system and on Thomson the standard spirit measure is 40ml. On one ship they got carried away and gave me doubles, 80ml :eek::eek::eek:

My husband and I prefer not to pay 15-18% on every single drink. It is a ridiculous amount. If the drinks prices on P&O all went up by that amount I think people would be a little unhappy.

One other point, we may well like a stronger drink, but not everyone does. My Mother-in-Law would hate to have a strong drink and would be unable to drink it.

It is one of the few UK regulations adhere to as 25ml is standard measure for a spirit throughout the UK. When you mention any other regulation their answer is that they do not have to abide by UK regulations but they do as far as drinks are concerned because it makes them a lot more money. If you think 40 measures at say £2-50approx then that is £100 which is a fair profit on a 1 litre bottle of spirit that they pay less than £10 for and then charge for mixers on top, again at high profit, which you do not get charged for on many American cruise lines.

Around here we would call a 25ml measure a dirty glass! 🍷

The official line from UK gov is:

"Either 25ml and multiples of 25ml, or 35ml and multiples of 35ml (not both in the same establishment)

While I don't like the free pour as you never know how much you are drinking in units or how strong it will be from drink to drink I do think 25ml is a bit small and mean.

I shall follow the good example of the knowledgable posters on here and order doubles. :D

It is one of the few UK regulations adhere to as 25ml is standard measure for a spirit throughout the UK. When you mention any other regulation their answer is that they do not have to abide by UK regulations but they do as far as drinks are concerned because it makes them a lot more money. If you think 40 measures at say £2-50approx then that is £100 which is a fair profit on a 1 litre bottle of spirit that they pay less than £10 for and then charge for mixers on top, again at high profit, which you do not get charged for on many American cruise lines.

Looking at their Gin menu, £3.25 is the lowest priced. That's for regular Tanqueray, not a high end gin. Mind you, who would want that when they are offering The Botanist at the same price? Now Tangueray Ten would be a different story...

A triple is just the right measure to go with the 200ml bottles of tonic mixers. Not a cheap drink but very nice, especially with Fever Tree Naturally Light, rather than Schweppes Slimline.

However in fairness to P&O and Cunard, they do know how to serve a G&T properly.