First Time on Balcony - Anything I need to know?

mosleyman

I guess it comes down to what you enjoy and can afford. I'm up very early and my better half likes to sleep in on a cruise, so personally one of my favorite parts of a cruise is to go out on the balcony with a cold drink and a good book while waiting for the sun to come and listening to the water ! That to me is worth the extra cost of a balcony.

Hanky Panky on the balcony is NOT a good idea, as there are eyes (and cameras) everywhere. People often do not realize this.

If you get motion sickness sitting on balcony while moving likely will make it worse.

Binoculars are awesome for a balcony.

Do NOT leave your curtains open and walk around naked and expect no one will see you. Workers do hang from the ship while in port and such to clean balcony and windows...you may get a surprise.

Don't leave towels or clothes out to dry no matter how good you think you have them secured. They may still disappear overboard. Winds are strong.

Watching the ship leave port from your balcony is fun. Especially if your room is port side.

Workers generally only work on ship in port , not while it's sailing.

I think most people join the balcony club at night. I don't think the camera's can see onto a balcony. Maybe down the side of the ship and see the railing.

If you look out to the horizon motion sickness shouldn't come into play.

You are absolutely correct sailing into or out of port a balcony is great.

• 2 months later...

Getting ready for first balcony in July for 8 day trek to southern carribean. Glad to see all advice for first time balcony. Didn't know there's a porch light! Several posters have mentioned binoculars- I'm wondering what optics you recommend.... I can't even call myself a binocular novice, but want to make sure I can enjoy land, sea and sky life from balcony with some. Thanks!

We had a balcony once. I was surprised that we couldn't use it on the last day. In the early afternoon on the last sea day the steward had to clean it because cleaning it wasn't allowed in port in Port Canaveral. After he cleaned it, it was locked. So no balcony for the last afternoon and evening and coming into port the next day.

I'll chime in on the "can never go back to interior" survey. We enjoyed our balcony very much, but I definitely enjoy an interior very much as well. It's a cruise; what's not to enjoy?

We've cruised from Port Canaveral several times and that never happened on any of our cruises. I would not be happy if we couldn't use our balcony the last day/evening and the morning pulling into port. It would be a trip to guest services to complain about it if that ever happened. You pay for a balcony to use your ENTIRE cruise. Maybe your room steward was trying to get some things done early, for the next cruise, and locked it hoping you wouldn't complain?

What was rude was you calling me out by name and saying in effect that 'life's not all about the money and you only live once' like somehow my position on financial expenditures on anything was somehow your business. This followed my perfectly reasonable statement that lots of folks make lots of different decisions regarding cabin choice.

I'm done with this conversation. Have a nice day.

I have no idea where you're coming from. I didn't see anything rude about the post.

I agree, you will never go back. Jsglo, it's not always about the money to some. YOLO

Every morning we have our pre breakfast room service, coffee, juice, fresh fruit and danish on the balcony.

I don't see anything rude here....but I don't know what YOLO is:)

Please don't smoke on your balcony. It's rude to those that don't smoke, as well as a fire hazard. I have asthma and yes I can smell it. I will call and report you and they will fine you if I call too many times, and I will call every time I smell it. I won't pay extra for a balcony not to be able to enjoy it because someone wants to break the rules.

We have cruised a lot with inside rooms and did not try a balcony until after several cruises. We do love it and always book a balcony on 7 days or longer. We will get an inside on the shorter cruises to save money and be able to cruise more often. You have to weigh out the cost/benefit unless money is no object which is okay too. If you have it, spend it as you wish; you earned it.

We agree with all the suggestions so far, especially the room service breakfast at least once. We sometimes just get coffee, juice, and pastries to enjoy before going to a late breakfast. We enjoy it most in the morning, evening before dinner, and just before bed. Sometimes we wander out there during the day just to rest up and watch the sea go by. Sometimes you see dolphins or those amazing flying fish. Agree that you need to watch at least one sunset and one sunrise from the balcony and snap some pictures. They make great desktop wallpaper.

My latest balcony story is from just last week on the Sunshine. We had a very rough sea day on Thursday with high seas and high winds. We could not even go outside. In the middle of the night I woke up and it looked like our balcony light was on. I got up and peeked outside and saw a perfect full moon over a smooth ocean. It was like a painting. I was awed by the view and woke up my wife. "Yeah, I see it." and rolled back over. I gawked for a few more minutes and then tried to take a picture. The flash went off and reflected in the window. I was too sleepy to do anything more. No picture. The next morning I gave myself a spanking.

I have no idea where you're coming from. I didn't see anything rude about the post.

What was rude was including jsglow's name. The post would convey the same message without the name being included so it wasn't necessary. But since it includes the name it comes across as if jsglow is being called to task for daring to suggest it is possible to "go back" to a non balcony room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
When going with a group, sometimes we do interior. Especially if we ate paying for adult children in lue of a gift. Giving a short cruise is a great gift.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Forums mobile app

We do interior with adult children, also. Cruises make great gifts. On the next cruise it is a group of adults so we are all over the ship. We chose a lido balcony this time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

Get room service coffee and juice. It's a wake call and then you can enjoy it on your balcony. So peaceful. I often go to Lido and bring back omelets for Us to enjoy out there.

There is nothing better than morning coffee on the balcony, looking at the ocean.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

Not knowing where said balcony is, a word of warning:

DO NOT BOOK AN AFT , AFT WRAP , OR VISTA SUITE!!!!!!

I am a die hard "Aft Snob", or "Aft Rat" (Which I prefer).

If anyone invites you to see their aft cabin, REFUSE! You will be forever wanting to book such cabins in the future! :eek:

All kidding aside, please book what fits within your needs and budget. Do try to visit other staterooms, if offered, to see the difference.

You WILL enjoy your balcony!;)

This will be my first balcony and I'm utterly excited. My boyfriend, sister and her boyfriend got adjoining rooms/balconies so that should be fun. I only wish we could keep the doors open at night as I love sleeping to sound of water.

Balcony cabins are great but sometimes it is the luck of the draw. Some cruises nice neighbors but others have featured loud neighbors who have endless conversations in loud voices while out on the balcony. The worst Carnival cruise we took featured 2 "ladies" who had several gentlemen callers. They all were drunk and loud.

If I were in my 20s, the balcony wouldn't be for me. I wouldn't want to spend time in the room or on the balcony. I would want to be out and doing stuff! But alas, I'm older now...I enjoy kicking back, enjoying the peaceful serenity of the ocean with the missus. Especially as we don't often get a vacation away from the kids. Combine it with the beverage gift program...and I get to make a mixed drink to accompany it. It is an integral part of our cruise experience. I won't cruise on a ship w/out a balcony. Some Carnival ships don't have many balconies. These ships are ruled out for us.

The experience can be utterly ruined by inconsiderate guests. My first cruise, a gang-banger 3 balconies down played music at a high decibel to ruin the experience. (see my cruise review for details) Took a day or so before Carnival shut him down. The Miami police met him on the ship the morning we got back. Not sure what he got arrested for.

And this last cruise, at least one smoker was stinkin up our balcony every day. I'd like to see Carnival enforce the no smoking on balcony policy. Unfortunately, I realize it is a tough one to enforce. I guess a rule is not good if it isn't enforced. There's always a few that think they are above the rules (they were clearly articulated during muster too).