Tipping the Concierge?

39august

On my first cruise as a Diamond member, it did not occur to me to tip the concierge. I guess I thought of him as I would have a ship's officer. After all, you don't tip the Chief Purser or the Hotel Director. Now I fear that was a gaffe. So, how, when and how much should we tip the concierge?

We had an unusual situation on our Canal in October on the Serenade, as the group of Diamond and Suite members was almost 300+, so the concierge lounge was a converted bar lounge during the 5 to 8:30 happy hour time frame. During this time we had a regular bar tender and the Concierge serving, so during that cruise my husband would give a gratuity as he was served, like in any other bar setting. When we proceeded onto the Southern Caribbean portion of our back to back on the Serenade, we only had approx 70+ of the same Diamond and Suite members, so once again the Concierge lounge was in the normal place, with the drinks and munchies being served in there. This time, I purchased a small gift for our Concierge + my husband gave a gratuity of $$ during the last night of the cruise.

I must add that this was the first time we have enjoyed this priveledge, since no other RCI ship that we have sailed has had the lounge and my husband and I made very good use out of it. It was a very nice perk for being Diamond and I wish they would put them on every ship, but I also understand the logistics of why they can't.

On the Jewel (8 nighter) last April we each gave either a $10 or $20 on the last night of the cruise. Sorry can't remember exactly.

He was always there to great us with a smile and then hand us our glass of champagne and then trying to refill.

Susan :)

At the end of a 7 night cruise my husband gave her $20. He went to the lounge every evening during the happy hours, for a glass or two of wine, for approx 1/2 hour. Your mileage may vary depending upon service received, but our lovely Concierge never solicited any gratuity, was happy to receive it, and was just very sweet and bent over backwards to help.

Something that dawns on me is the fact that we are talking about the drink issue, however at one point in time she offered to even confirm our air reservations, so even if you never take part in the evening drink time and the Concierge does go out of her/his way to help with anything and they seem to be quite diverse in helping, then a gratuity is also in order.

We had a large group of Diamonds onboard our last Radiance cruise. The lounge was open in the morning and they used the Holliday Oddesy in the evenings with a bartender and the Concierge.

I know of at least one guy that went to the Purser's desk looking for advise on the subject and was given none.

I ended up giving the Consierge $30 and $15 to the waiter.

I don't believe your required to tip the concierge. It's more of a gift of appreciation. He had the time of our lives on our 9 day cruise and some of it was because of our concierge. We enjoyed the lounge so much and we were invited to the captain's table because of our concierge , she arranged it. She made our wonderful cruise into something we will never forget. We ended up tipping her $40.

Tipping the concierge is strictly a personal matter. Well all tipping is in a way, but the concierge more so. We have always tipped according to how much we have used ours. We have given as little as $10 and as much as $100 with about $20 being normal. There are no set rules or guidelines like there are for other personel. NMNita

Tipping the concierge is strictly a personal matter. Well all tipping is in a way, but the concierge more so. We have always tipped according to how much we have used ours. We have given as little as $10 and as much as $100 with about $20 being normal. There are no set rules or guidelines like there are for other personel. NMNita

Yes, it is a personal choice. On Serenade we had a group that we met on the cruise...we were all there by 5PM and the scenery was SO pretty...(Alaska) the windows in the Concierge lounge were a plus...Maritza was a doll and couldn't do enough...even though we never asked for anything. It was our Happy Hour!! Also, Bloody Mary's and mimosas were available in the AM in addition to the Continental breakfast. (Not on Adventure and Voyager)

When we went on the Voyager class, it was different...no windows, no group to hang out with...the room was actually a bit depressing and we never went back...on Adventure the guy was a jerk and on Voyager she was also a doll but we were with people who didn't have access to the lounge so we skipped it...

We've used concierge service in hotels and have tipped some but not others...it all depends on the level/quality of service. On Serenade it was the BEST!!

On the Serenade I gave 50$ to Meritza. She gave us exceptional service. We were there every night between 5 to 8:30 to socialize with the pax in Owners Suites and Grande Suites. It was the same bunch of us everynight and we filled out every seat in the Concierge. Fantastic fun times were shared each night. Meritza really earned the tips she received for oustanding service.

We gave the concierge on Explorer $80 on the last night. Although we didn't use the lounge that often, we did use his services for reservations and tickets, etc. even before boarding, he arranged spa appointments and Portofino reservations.

Yes, it is a personal choice. On Serenade we had a group that we met on the cruise...we were all there by 5PM and the scenery was SO pretty...(Alaska) the windows in the Concierge lounge were a plus...Maritza was a doll and couldn't do enough...even though we never asked for anything. It was our Happy Hour!! Also, Bloody Mary's and mimosas were available in the AM in addition to the Continental breakfast. (Not on Adventure and Voyager)

We've used concierge service in hotels and have tipped some but not others...it all depends on the level/quality of service. On Serenade it was the BEST!!

Yes, Maritza was great and I tipped her 40 for the week.

We are sitting at the airport just of the EOS 4 night and we tipped Guisepie(sp?) $40.00. He made reservations for us and served the drinks to our table nightly. If you get your own drinks and they don't assist you with other matters you would not need to give as much. When we were on a 12 night in Europe we has Chris and he was wonderful and helped with lots of things and we gave him $100. By the way Chris is now a Loyalty Ambassador on one of the ships going out of California. RCL was having a sales meeting on the cruise we just got off and Chris was on board and remembered us and our names from September 04. That is knowing your customer.

Archived