Med cruise with kids - Celebrity Reflection or NCL Spirit?

trosebery

Not an experienced cruiser here -- have never sailed with either X or NCL. But right now I've bookmarked a couple of cruises for summer 2018, and the best Italy+Greece itineraries for us are on the Celebrity Reflection or Norwegian Spirit. (I like the itinerary on Reflection slightly better, but it would be significantly more expensive.)

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be better, especially travelling with a 9-year-old and a 13-year-old? I have some concern that the 13-year-old will be too old for the kids club (his birthday is just before we leave!) and won't have much to do on the few sea days or in the evenings. Though it is a port-intensive itinerary anyway . . . and last year on Princess on a Baltic cruise, he spent some evenings hanging out with us at the shows and other entertainment anyway.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

I've sailed both lines a lot and I would choose the Celebrity Reflection mainly because food is better on Celebrity and Reflection is one of their newer ships until the Edge class gets delivered. While there is not a ton for kids to do onboard (just the kids club and shows), in the Med you are off the ship from 8:30am or so until 5 or 6pm and then all you want is a nice dinner and bed. I think your kids would be fine on this ship for this type of itinerary.

NCL Spirit was supposed to be in dry dock in January and February of 2017 but it appears that has not yet happened or if it did all they did was repair engines or something:

https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-edge

Here people are discussing the condition of the ship and it's not good:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383529&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448470

I would suggest that you wait to sail on the NCL Spirit until it has undergone the major overhaul - but I don't know when that will be.

I like NCL, BUT not on an old crummy ship in disrepair and I wouldn't want to suggest you go on that ship until it is completely fixed up.

Though it is a port-intensive itinerary anyway .

Bingo ! Med cruises are so port intensive that I'd save the money and go Spirit if as you say the price difference is significant . There will be lots of kids on any summer cruise and I bet your son will have a blast .

We sailed on both ships,the Spirit in May 2016 and Reflection this last February. We loved both ships. Yes, Spirit is slightly smaller,and older. It has a few dings here and there, but it was immaculately maintained. We loved the intimacy of this ship. Reflection is a gorgeous ship and we were lucky enough to snag a deal on a Concierge room ( a balcony with a few more perks) vs an inside on the Spirit, so I can't really compare but both rooms had great room stewards.

We found both ships had excellent crews. I'd rate the MDRs on both ships about equal with an edge for Celebrity, the buffet better on Spirit. Hands down, the specialty restaurants are better on Reflection. The pool situation is better on Reflection. We thought entertainment was about the same on both. I can't say who has the better kids/teen programs. Both cruises actually had very few kids.

Everything I have said is of course my own opinion, but Spirit is a wonderful ship. We always choose a cruise based on itinerary, and value to us. we also were wowed by Reflection. We've been NCL loyalists, but Reflection convinced us to sail Celebrity again.

I'd say decide which is more important, itinerary, newness of ship, price and pick the ship which works best for you. You can't go wrong with either ship.

Haven't sailed Celebrity but have sailed Spirit twice. We really like the Spirit even though it is the oldest ship in the fleet. However, for kids that age, there is little geared to them as it is more of a classic ship without many bells or whistles.

Don't worry about the kids club... worry about the ports and what's best for the kids in that respect

We have done the Med 2x and choose the ruby princess over the Ncl spirit at a $2000 higher price because the itin was better as was the ship

Look at port times also

Ncl is notorious for shorter port times

Our 2 Med cruises were on the carnival freedom and ruby princess. Although for the Carib Ncl is our 1st choice.

This summer we bypassed a cruise completely because the itins were not so good. Especially on Ncl as I was looking at the Star because we have certificates

So bottom line for us when we do the Med we go for....itin...dates...price...in that order

Med cruises are too special to worry about price first. Imho of course

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bingo ! Med cruises are so port intensive that I'd save the money and go Spirit if as you say the price difference is significant . There will be lots of kids on any summer cruise and I bet your son will have a blast .

As long as the port times on the spirit are not too short

This is something I noticed with some...not all...Ncl Med cruises

Thanks for all the feedback.

And yes, port time is the main reason I prefer the Celebrity itinerary. The cruises hit almost all the same ports, but except for two ports where the time in port is pretty much the same, Celebrity spends 2-3 hours longer in each port. For example, Celebrity is in Athens from 6 am - 6 pm, whereas NCL is in port 8 am - 5 pm. NCL does stop in Chania (Crete), which Celebrity does not (sea day instead), but I'm not sure a 7 am - 12 pm even counts as a port stop.

And yes, port time is the main reason I prefer the Celebrity itinerary. The cruises hit almost all the same ports, but except for two ports where the time in port is pretty much the same, Celebrity spends 2-3 hours longer in each port. For example, Celebrity is in Athens from 6 am - 6 pm, whereas NCL is in port 8 am - 5 pm. NCL does stop in Chania (Crete), which Celebrity does not (sea day instead), but I'm not sure a 7 am - 12 pm even counts as a port stop.

A sea day in the Med/Aegean is incredible!!! The sun is different and a day at sea in this area is nice to have

Of course I have 100% Mediterranean island roots so I'm drawn to the sea in this area ....it's just in my blood! Thankfully!!!

so I cant see the advantage of a 2 hour longer stay if port time starts 6am unless you really want to start at crack of dawn

We have sailed Spirit twice and really like the ship-she may be older but still elegant and a really nice atmosphere

I thought Spirit was a really cute ship .... We liked our cruise except for the food, it was some time ago so maybe it is improved now. Cabins are on a smaller side too.

But ... there is no comparison to Reflection (sister ship to Silhouette on which we sailed). Celebrity is a premium line with better food than most of massmarket.

However for port intensive itin if money matters (and you will spend a lot on European excursions ship sponsored or private) I would overlook quality of the ship. I remember on Mediterranean cruise we were so tired after all tours we couldn't even watch entertainment. :)

so I cant see the advantage of a 2 hour longer stay if port time starts 6am unless you really want to start at crack of dawn

We have sailed Spirit twice and really like the ship-she may be older but still elegant and a really nice atmosphere

I was thinking the longer port hours would help space out the crowds at breakfast (and tenders, for tender ports) more?

I do like the look of the Spirit. She looks charming. And a very nice size.

We sailed the Spirit with 3 tweens a couple of summers ago. I was worried that the ship wouldn't have enough entertainment for them, but in reality, the ports are so intensive that there isn't much down time to worry about being occupied on board. My kids did find a handful of other friends to hang with on the down time, but were either with us or exhausted by and large. IMO 2 hours in one port won't make that big of difference if the price difference is significant.

I'm going to be sailing on the NCL Spirit again in August. I choose the Spirit over other cruises (I had looked at Holland America, RCL, Princess and Celebrity) as it had the best itinerary for the time I wanted to be away for (plus Santorini in the itinerary was a must for me). I'll be on the Aug 20th sailing and it is very port intensive, only one sea day. The Spirit might be an older ship, but she's classic. Not too big, not too small. There were some small interior refreshers done to her during dry dock, however it was mainly a technical dry dock. They do have kids activities on board, when I did my Alaska trip on her we did notice a few families and they always had kid friendly activities listed in the daily.

Starting at the crack of dawn is perfect for say Rome and Florence and Naples where there is significant travel time into the city or down the amalfi coast for Naples

Security lines will be shorter at the sites and the weather cooler and the crowds thinner and in stops such as Naples and Florence it allows for stops along the way to admire say Tuscany or the bay of Naples