In case anyone thinks they don't enforce the dress code strictly enough

lisiamc

Depends on whether they "Flop" or not. Many closed toe, open back shoes do not especially if thecheel is high enough. It's the way the toes position themselves in certain shoes that makes the "flop" . (I wasn't saying nice sandals should not be worn, just offering a definition of "flip-flop")

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess I'll find out how I do tonight with my fanciest, most sparkly sandals (still technically flip flops, even though there is no rubber involved, and they have a small heel) at the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party. They're the only shoes I've brought for dressy evenings. My alternatives are my rather bright purple and blue trainers, which won't look right with a nice outfit!

Not everyone is happy about the "dumbing down" of dress codes on cruise ships. In our experience (we have been Elite Plus for some time) some of the Captain's Clubs hostesses/hosts are among the fans of the days when dress codes meant something. So we have often seen them enforce the letter of the dress code for the Elite cocktail parties (and Senior Officers Party). If you don't like the rules it is no problem as you simply go to some other venue. Since we usually have the Premium Drink Package we seldom go to those Elite parties anymore. On the S-Class ships we find the Martini bar so much more fun.

Hank

I usually agree with you, and I might here, except that jeans and trainers would fit in with the Captain's Club dress code perfectly. Or leggings and Crocs clogs. I can definitely agree with you that the Martini Bar is much more fun, though!

It certainly is not safe to wear sandals for flip flops to the Helipad. No wonder you were turned away

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps you missed my post.

I went to the Helipad sailaway with a friend whose husband didn't want to go.

Since I never saw the invitation I didn't know about the no sandals/flip flop restriction and I wore my flip flops.

No one stopped me and there was certainly nothing happening out there that would have been impacted by my footwear.

We had a glass of champagne, took a picture, watched the sailaway and left.

Where is the like button?

Personally, I think it's awesome to seeing the staff enforce the dress code. I understand some people may not want to dress up on their vacation, but then maybe a cruise with Celebrity isn't for you.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise. We are diamond plus with RCI, but are switching over due to Royals " dumbing down" on dress code by allowing shorts,etc in their MDR. Having said that, I think dressy sandals are quite appropriate for women, especially on a Caribbean cruise.

I'm just glad someone had the moxy to say anything at all. Too may times, way too many, they will not say a word. Glad someone wasn't afraid to say something. Kudos to that ships employee. But each circumstance stands on its own and in this case maybe they should have overlooked, if they were in good taste and fashionable.

I totally agree with you on RCL and their lack of enforcing the dress code. We need to be somewhat fashionable aboard a ship. It's suppose to be elegant and not a weekend at a Days Inn. Bring back style and dress to cruising. Don't allow bums aboard.

I totally agree with you on RCL and their lack of enforcing the dress code. We need to be somewhat fashionable aboard a ship. It's suppose to be elegant and not a weekend at a Days Inn. Bring back style and dress to cruising. Don't allow bums aboard.

Bums... really?

Please define what you mean by bums and let us all know which cruise line you've encountered bums on?

I certainly wouldn't want to be bothered by any panhandlers on the way to a specialty restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's comments like this that cause people to shy away from cruise critic. It's no wonder there is a very active social media site that is monitored closely. There are many who refuse to read cruise critic and post here.

We have always followed the dress code. It's not our fault X has relaxed it and I'm thankful they have. Evening gowns and suits weight a lot. I prefer to pack more "bum clothes" which will be clean when we put them on. 🙄 🙄 😡 😡

What the rule really meant was flip flops and sandals are not allowed for men. And women should be wearing heels. But they can't say that because it is politically incorrect. A sandal is basically a low cut female open top shoes. Look at the Oscar red carpet pics, if these shoes have lower or no heel, they are all sandals.

2015-oscars-red-carpet-shoes-nudist.jpg

Personally, I think it's awesome to seeing the staff enforce the dress code. I understand some people may not want to dress up on their vacation, but then maybe a cruise with Celebrity isn't for you.

Agree, love that a cruise line will enforce a dress code , looking forward to sailing Celebrity in March and may book them in November also, wish RCCL would do the same

Right because let's face it allowing people to wear shorts and t-shirts in the Main Dining Room significantly changes the taste of the food for the "fashionable".

I don't pay for a vacation to be told what to wear while on vacation. If you don't like shorts in the main dining room then don't wear them.

Right because let's face it allowing people to wear shorts and t-shirts in the Main Dining Room significantly changes the taste of the food for the "fashionable".

I don't pay for a vacation to be told what to wear while on vacation. If you don't like shorts in the main dining room then don't wear them.

I think everyone needs to pick a cruise lines that has a dress code you feel comfortable with, plenty allow shorts

Bums... really?

Please define what you mean by bums and let us all know which cruise line you've encountered bums on?

I certainly wouldn't want to be bothered by any panhandlers on the way to a specialty restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post, visualizing this was definitely a LOL moment! Cheers!

Just came off the Equinox and attended the Elite Cocktail Hour only twice for a short time. I did have on dress sandals. Was never asked about my shoes. I do bring one pair of closed shoes with me, Tom's, for the plane. I wear them to the helipad when asked. I do dress for dinner every night and wear sandals. In all the years of traveling on a cruise ship, I have never been asked to change my shoes.

Dealing with the public, and so many people with different opinions, is not an easy job. She was probably doing what she was told to do.

Miss formal nights and the sea of beautiful dresses and handsome men in tuxedo's:(

Happy Sailing Everyone.

Bah...if you don't like the rules don't go to the cocktail party. I think it's only fair that there is at least one place where an arbitrary dress code is enforced given what a dream run we dress code haters have had recently.

The first time we were invited to the helipad sail away I was very careful to wear close toed shoes even though the only ones I had with me were my gym shoes. The sail away was around 6 (if I remember correctly), about the time we would be dressed for dinner. So I "dressed up" and put my gym shoes on. I felt (and looked) like an idiot when I got there and the vast majority of the women (who were also dressed for the evening) had on open toed shoes! When we were asked to a helipad sail away while on the Reflection in February, I dressed for dinner as I usually would and totally disregarded the "no open toed shoe" requirement entirely as did most other women. We also went to the Elite cocktail hour one evening and I am sure I had some type of open toe heeled "flip flop" style shoe.

I think everyone needs to pick a cruise lines that has a dress code you feel comfortable with, plenty allow shorts

During the day, yes. At night at least in the MDR, only NCL/Carnival normally allow them in the MDR. When all the lines allow them in the MDR at night, we'll probably start looking for vacations elsewhere.