In case anyone thinks they don't enforce the dress code strictly enough

lisiamc

And your invitation to the helipad specifically stated that closed toe shoes were required. Celebrity considers that to be a safety issue.

Unlike the completely arbitrary prohibition of sandals at the elite cocktail hour.

Hey, dropping a stir stick on those toes is a safety issue don't ya know? ;p

Struck me as odd as well. If jeans are okay why not sandals?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup... you can wear jeans, sneakers and a tank top. But not sandals, according the dress code.

Honestly... this happened to me back in 2015. Once. The CC hostess was just doing her job and following the dress code as it's written. She did end up letting me in. I haven't had a problem since. But I might throw a pair of summer flats in for my cruise in 2 weeks, just in case. ;)

I don't know what others think but I really feel Celebrity should give us some sort of clarification about what is acceptable here...We are E+. I don't think I have ever been to an Elite cocktail hour in closed in shoes. My 'posh footwear' that match my evening chic are both sandals....Both pairs were worn last cruise to these events. I was not planning on packing any closed in toed shoes other than trainers.

Please Celebrity give us some reasoning on this...should your instructions read more like 'no flip flops or beach footwear' rather than 'no flip flops or sandals'...

...........Indeed, when I read the requirements for the Cocktail Hour, it says clearly that no flip-flops or sandals are allowed. ......:o

I have seen no flip-flops allowed at Captain's Club events on many cruises, but do not recall ever noticing anything that said no sandals were allowed.

So I started wondering if this is a new prohibition, or if it was there all along and I just never noticed it.

In looking through some leftover cruise papers from last winter, I came across the usual handout from the Captain's Club hostess listing the Captain's Club Events.

Each event is listed with either one asterisk (for Casual)

or two asterisks (for Smart Casual & Above).

It says

*Dress code is Casual: no bathing attire, bath robes, and no rips or holes in jeans please.

**Dress code is Smart Casual & Above: No shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, bathing attire, and no rips or holes in jeans, if worn.

Notice that there is no mention of sandals at all,

and no prohibition on flip-flops for Casual events.

So does anyone know if the dress code for Captain's Club events is standardized throughout the fleet,

or does it vary from ship to ship,

or does it vary at the discretion of each individual Captain's Club host/ess?

I was invited to a Helipad sail away and when I arrived was turned away because I was wearing sandals. I did not return in my pumps!

On our recent cruise our friends were invited to the helipad sailaway and we weren't (they are Elite + and were in Concierge, we are Elite and in Aqua).

Anyways, the husband didn't want to go so the wife asked me if I'd go with her.

I never saw the invitation so had no idea of the restriction.

I know I wore either fancy flip flops or sandals since the only closed toed shoes I take on a cruise are Keens.

No one said a word about my footwear.

Boy--remind me not to cruise Celebrity!! Lol! I only wear sandals with my sundresses on cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree! Never taken a cruise without wearing sandals in the evening. Haven't been kicked out of the Elite cocktail party yet, but guess may have to rethink my attire. Wonder how they feel about bare feet????:D

a64aefba2ec03b1d97eb03b0fccfb0e759f4ebda

This is what I wear for formal night.

Still a sandal.

These are my closed toes shoes - so much nicer. :rolleyes:

6719276.jpg

I share your pain.

I was once thrown out of MDR for wearing some size 27 clown shoes in bright red. They weren't too keen about the canary yellow, woollen wig either, but I pointed out that the dress code doesn't exclude toupees or hair extensions, so I won that one in the end.

This so much reminds me of the dress code policy in high school. When you make a rule you need to enforce it every time or...don't have the rule???? Enforcing it is the most difficult part, as I do try to follow the rules. Maybe they just don't see me in a crowd. Since Orator said that they are most likely loading them on my sea pass card for the TA, all I can say is woo hoo! Times are a changing...

Thanks, Orator! Always enjoy your comments!

I also do not own a pair of closed toed high heels or pumps because of age related medical issues (bunions in all shapes and forms from flat footing it on the job). Sneakers and diabetic huge round toed work shoes are the only closed toed shoes I can wear.

It would be humiliating to be turned away from an Elite event I have earned.

Rules are interpreted differently by different staff in any occupation but I would not take kindly to being singled out and turned away when there are so many serious violations of the rules elsewhere.

There's a huge difference between flip-flops one wears to the pool or beach (which, incidentally, I hate, but I don't wear open shoes of any sort) and thong-style sandals that are dressy. That's a silly rule. There's a lot of really pretty flat sandals that are very dressy.

LOL, the hostess must have been having a bad day. We were on a long cruise, wife breaks her toe, and the only thing she could wears was upscale flip flops. I hate to say it but being involved with dress codes several times in school systems the wording will always be different from the actual interpretation from most everyone. TOO many options of particularly women's dress to deal with and it changes from year to year.

This is the news sheet that we received in our cabin with the Captain's Club info. The dress code for Cocktail Hour is in the middle section.

890e1330f18d01918f98084e255129ed.jpg

Forgive US for we have sinned LOL

The hostess must have been having a bad day. We were on a long cruise, wife breaks her toe, and the only thing she could wears was upscale flip flops. I hate to say it but being involved with dress codes several times in school systems the wording will always be different from the actual interpretation from most everyone. TOO many options of particularly women's dress to deal with and it changes from year to year.

If the shoes, no matter how dressy or whether they are thongs or slides, make that floppy noise when you walk, they are flip-flops. That's how they got the name. If they have a back strap, or if the straps over the top/sides of the foot are designed in such a way the the sole of the shoe does not move away from the wearers foot, and make the floppy noise. they are not flop flops.

If the shoes, no matter how dressy or whether they are thongs or slides, make that floppy noise when you walk, they are flip-flops. That's how they got the name. If they have a back strap, or if the straps over the top/sides of the foot are designed in such a way the the sole of the shoe does not move away from the wearers foot, and make the floppy noise. they are not flop flops.

So these are flip flops. (Note closed toe)

IMG_1491657067.099780.jpg.42d0748d2644201b34f404582ae937a6.jpg

Just an illustration (to me) of what a ridiculous restriction I find this to be.

So these are flip flops. (Note closed toe)

[ATTACH]405825[/ATTACH]

Just an illustration (to me) of what a ridiculous restriction I find this to be.

Is the cocktail hour worth the aggravation of picking on shoes for ladies? Is this a way for Celebrity to phase out the event? With a bev package is a watered down drink worth standing in line to be inspected while shorts and tee shirts are admitted? Yes we have this happened several cruises. On our last 2 cruises we left after a short visit. Hostess was less than friendly as were most of the people. Food was not appealing. A waste of time from previous cruises. The martini bar is a more pleasant way to chat and enjoy drinks.

Is the cocktail hour worth the aggravation of picking on shoes for ladies? Is this a way for Celebrity to phase out the event? With a bev package is a watered down drink worth standing in line to be inspected while shorts and tee shirts are admitted? Yes we have this happened several cruises. On our last 2 cruises we left after a short visit. Hostess was less than friendly as were most of the people. Food was not appealing. A waste of time from previous cruises. The martini bar is a more pleasant way to chat and enjoy drinks.

I'm with you. Haven't attended one of these things in a LONG time. Even if I don't have a beverage package.

We have always sat at the bar and watch them make the drinks. The ones we get have never been watered down, if anything they're very strong. Not complaining.

I've decided to go barefoot if I'm told my sandals are unacceptable footwear. I checked the dress code. It doesn't say that shoes are required. ;) Either that or I'll bring my camouflage steel toe hunting boots and wear those with my sundress.

I think it's silly to have a dress code for this anyway. It's 5 to 7... if you have late seating it's happy hour before you get dressed for dinner. No way I'm getting dressed for dinner at 5PM if I'm not eating until 8:30. Ok, no beach/pool attire... maybe on evening chic nights no shorts/t shirts. But really, it's NOT a formal or dressy cocktail party. It's lounge during daylight hours. JMHO, of course.

I've never had an issue wearing sparkly flip flops to any Captains Club event. It's all I bring on a Caribbean or Hawaii cruise for evening shoes.

It's a little ridiculous to enforce a rule that people don't know about before they get on the ship because it doesn't say no sandals anywhere on the website that I can find. It does say no flip-flops in the evening for any events/dinner etc., so reasonable to expect that to extend to the elite cocktail hour. But I've definitely worn sparkly flip flops as well as other sandals including those with a thong between the toes to the cocktail hour many times and never been turned away. Yikes!

I'm just glad that I mostly sail on transatlantics now, where we always get coupons instead.

Not everyone is happy about the "dumbing down" of dress codes on cruise ships. In our experience (we have been Elite Plus for some time) some of the Captain's Clubs hostesses/hosts are among the fans of the days when dress codes meant something. So we have often seen them enforce the letter of the dress code for the Elite cocktail parties (and Senior Officers Party). If you don't like the rules it is no problem as you simply go to some other venue. Since we usually have the Premium Drink Package we seldom go to those Elite parties anymore. On the S-Class ships we find the Martini bar so much more fun.

Hank

Not everyone is happy about the "dumbing down" of dress codes on cruise ships. In our experience (we have been Elite Plus for some time) some of the Captain's Clubs hostesses/hosts are among the fans of the days when dress codes meant something. So we have often seen them enforce the letter of the dress code for the Elite cocktail parties (and Senior Officers Party). If you don't like the rules it is no problem as you simply go to some other venue. Since we usually have the Premium Drink Package we seldom go to those Elite parties anymore. On the S-Class ships we find the Martini bar so much more fun.

Hank

Maybe those particular hostesses/hosts are unhappy about the change in the dress code, but even if that is so I'm not sure how making me change out of my nice sandals and into my sneakers (since they are the only closed-toed shoes I have with me) is helping to increase the fancy dress quotient of the event. :)