Need your advise

klangel

I have posted this on the Princess roll call but have not gotten any replies. Hopefully, by posting here someone will be able to assist me. My husband and I will be arriving at FCO (Airport in Rome Italy) at 7:45 am on April 23. Since we have never been to Rome, we would like to walk around and take in some of the sights before heading to the Civitavecchia Cruise Port. Allowing time to go through customs and traveling time to Rome is this possible? Has anyone done this before or plan on doing it? if this is possible, what time should we leave Rome to head out to the cruise port? Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Is anyone looking for two people to share a ride from Rome to the cruise port or share a ride from FCO to the cruise port. We would be interested to join you. We will be getting off the Majestic Princess in Athens (Piraeus) Greece any advise on how to get to the airport for our flight back home. Thanks everyone !

By private transfer, Rome to Civitavecchia is at least an hour. If your flight lands at 7.45, you're probably looking at 9.00 before you exit the terminal.

Fastest time from the airport to the City is about 35 minutes.

With careful planning, and a prearranged transfer to the port, you could have 10am to Noon to sightsee, getting you to the cruise terminal at about 1pm.

Whether you would see as much as you would like in two hours though ......

From the time you land until you get out of FCO it will be between 40 and 120 minutes depending on how fast they bring out luggage and lines for passport control. Then you need to get to Rome. It's 30 minutes by Leonardo Express--although you need to have time to purchase tickets and wait for the next train. (make sure you validate the ticket in the yellow box before boarding!!!) They run about every half hour.

Getting from Rome to the Port will take about 70 minutes by train, and you still need to walk over a mile (or take a cab) to the port from the train station.

So if you land at 7:45 am, you won't be in Rome until probably after 10:00 am being realistic. Then there is the problem of what to do with luggage. It makes no sense to store it at the airport and return for it, you're going in the wrong direction. There is luggage storage at Termimi, it's not cheap--about $10 per bag per day. I would plan on leaving Rome from Termini to at LEAST two hours before you need to board. That does not include the time required to reclaim your checked bags from luggage hold--and it's my understanding the line can be fairly long.

You can also take the local train from FCO to Trastevere and there is a place to check bags there. No idea on the price or where it is, I only know as a friend used them to store her bag for a day a few months ago. You could then walk or transfer to St. Peters, and you can take the train from Trastevere to the port.

It looks like your ship departs at 6:00 pm so all aboard is probably no later than 5:00 pm. Allowing two hours, you'd need to leave Rome at 3:00 pm.

So yes, it's doable, you'll just need to have a plan. I would pretty much choose the one thing you really want to see (and you will probably not have time to see the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel) and plan ahead.

The other option is to hire a car and driver who will stay with you the entire time, but this is not going to be an inexpensive option.

If it were me, I'd probably choose to see either the Colosseum and Forum area (hire a guide outside the Forum gates to get the most out of your visit) OR St. Peters plus (if you don't mind walking) the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, and PiazzaNavona.

I hope this helps.

As far as getting to the airport at the end of your cruise, taxi is about an hour ride and will cost ~$100. There is also a direct bus that is very inexpensive, I've been cautioned to mind your belongings as pick pockets love to work that bus. That said, minding your belongings in Rome and Athens is a good option regardless, Rome is crazy with pickpockets.

The Trastevere station is a bit below grade. Need to take the stairs or elevator. Most times the elevator wasn't working when I arrived from FCO to visit DD.

Also, check the arranged strike schedule for all trains, buses and taxis. If it's raining go straight to Civi. Rome shuts down in heavy rain. Seriously, the streets flood and nothing moves.

Here is what is realistic. Hire RomeinLimo.com to pick you up at the airport and put your luggage in the trunk of the car then drive you into Rome. Take this tour:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/packages/introduction-to-rome.htm

Then have them drive you to the port.

Get with others on your ship's roll call whose flights are coming in at the same time as yours in order to share costs of this sightseeing and transfer to Civitavecchia.

Just be certain that you will get to Civitavecchia in time to board your ship. I would make sure RomeinLimo drops you there at least 1 hour prior to the end of boarding time. If you don't know what the end of boarding time is, do call your cruise line to find out. Remember it will take up to 1.5 hours to reach the ship, so you are leaving Rome at least 2.5 hours before the end of boarding time.

Honestly, with only a few hours to "see" Rome, you are doing yourself and this truly amazing, historic, charming city a huge disservice! But, whatever you see will be memorable and will leave you with a huge burning desire to return! Spent two days pre cruise, one post cruise and still have many bucket items I missed seeing! :eek:

Honestly, with only a few hours to "see" Rome, you are doing yourself and this truly amazing, historic, charming city a huge disservice! But, whatever you see will be memorable and will leave you with a huge burning desire to return! Spent two days pre cruise, one post cruise and still have many bucket items I missed seeing! :eek:

Well, while she may be doing a disservice in your eyes, not everyone has the luxury to fly in early. Probably for the OP this is the most time she can get to see Rome. Her choice is limited or nothing. She is choosing limited and came on CC to get help to use that time wisely.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me. We are thinking about going with RomeinLimo although it is a bit costly. A driver will pick us up at the airport, do a bit of sightseeing in Rome and then on to the cruise port.

I couldn't have word it better then notentirelynormal. Our time is limited for sightseeing and will be greatful to be able to see any sites.

At the end of the cruise we need to get to the airport. Does anyone have information on the direct bus such as how often does the bus runs on Sunday, how would I pay for the bus ride such as do we buy ticket before broading on the bus or do we pay once we broad the bus and does it take exact change, how long to get to the airport.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me. We are thinking about going with RomeinLimo although it is a bit costly. A driver will pick us up at the airport, do a bit of sightseeing in Rome and then on to the cruise port.

I couldn't have word it better then notentirelynormal. Our time is limited for sightseeing and will be greatful to be able to see any sites.

At the end of the cruise we need to get to the airport. Does anyone have information on the direct bus such as how often does the bus runs on Sunday, how would I pay for the bus ride such as do we buy ticket before broading on the bus or do we pay once we broad the bus and does it take exact change, how long to get to the airport.

The bus runs about every 30 minutes and takes about 90 minutes. You can buy a ticket either at the kiosk or from the driver. You will need exact change in Euros.

You will love RomeInLimo. They meet you right outside the airport doors and walk you over to their car (they have to park in a designated area). They will ask you what you want to see and will do their best to make sure you see it. On the other hand, they are not so rigid that if you yell STOP! I want to get out and get a picture of the large ball of yarn on the side of the road, they will do their best to not only stop so that you can get that picture they will somehow figure a way to make sure you still squeeze in as much as possible. We booked them for a total of 5 days when we went and they were no less then amazing. No matter what our request they made it happen.

If you want to save time either bring Euros with you before you leave or spend the time waiting for your luggge to exchange some money. No need to waste time at an ATM if you can handle it on down time.

As well, we had a very early flight back to the US and we had them pick us up and whisk us away. It turned out to be a good call as we were able to get the last upgrade seat on the flight and, more importantly, once we got past all the airport stuff we barely had 30 minutes before out flight.

Here is what is realistic. Hire RomeinLimo.com to pick you up at the airport and put your luggage in the trunk of the car then drive you into Rome. Take this tour:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/packages/introduction-to-rome.htm

Then have them drive you to the port.

Get with others on your ship's roll call whose flights are coming in at the same time as yours in order to share costs of this sightseeing and transfer to Civitavecchia.

Just be certain that you will get to Civitavecchia in time to board your ship. I would make sure RomeinLimo drops you there at least 1 hour prior to the end of boarding time. If you don't know what the end of boarding time is, do call your cruise line to find out. Remember it will take up to 1.5 hours to reach the ship, so you are leaving Rome at least 2.5 hours before the end of boarding time.

This is a very nice suggestion and plan. Been to Rome three times and would willing go back again to enjoy this great city. Since your time will be so very limited prior to your cruise, this suggestion is perhaps the best. Decide from this company's offerings what you'd most like to see and just enjoy. Enjoy your cruise too. :)

I would NOT exchange money at an airport kiosk! Terrible rates. Either do it at a US bank before you leave (Wells Fargo and B of A both offer the service with reasonable exchange rates and with B of A, no fee if you buy $1000 US worth of foreign currency or more.

It takes a minute, maybe two to use the ATM at the airport on your way out.

Personally I like to have the cash I will need for the first few days before I leave. I also don't make myself crazy watching exchange rates. I bought some pounds and euros a few weeks ago for an upcoming trip as the exchange rate was good, and frankly if it drops by a few cents between now and when I travel, it won't make any difference in the big picture. It's one less thing I need to worry about over the next few weeks, which already include a lot of domestic travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would NOT exchange money at an airport kiosk! Terrible rates. Either do it at a US bank before you leave (Wells Fargo and B of A both offer the service with reasonable exchange rates and with B of A, no fee if you buy $1000 US worth of foreign currency or more.

It takes a minute, maybe two to use the ATM at the airport on your way out.

Personally I like to have the cash I will need for the first few days before I leave. I also don't make myself crazy watching exchange rates. I bought some pounds and euros a few weeks ago for an upcoming trip as the exchange rate was good, and frankly if it drops by a few cents between now and when I travel, it won't make any difference in the big picture. It's one less thing I need to worry about over the next few weeks, which already include a lot of domestic travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with you. I prefer to buy my money in advance so I don't have to worry about it but there is an overwhelming majority that insist using an ATM when you get to Europe is better. In the grand scheme of things you are only paying a few extra dollars and to me the peace of mind is priceless.