Norwegian Sun Specialty Dining

Sparling

Early last year we were on the sun for two weeks going around the Horn. We were in a suite and had booked during that brief period where they were giving unlimited specialty dining. So basically we had 14 nights of specialty (except for one where we braved the MDR just for a change).

We were travelling with two friends and our 4-year old. The five of us had no problem sitting in the La Cucina booths.

I would say Moderno was our least favourite - but the views were nice. We enjoyed Cagneys often ( even my 100% vegetarian wife.). They would let her load up a couple of plates from Moderno's salad bar and have them delivered by our server.

In actual fact - I think our favourite was La Cucina. Let's be realistic here - no NCL cruise ship has five star dining, so for us it comes down to ambiance. I would give La Cucina a slight edge over Le Bistro for that. But - everyone's tastes are different.

Least favourite? Teppanyaki. And I will give full credit to my 4-yr old who sat patiently and quietly the entire meal, and to the chef who made him something child sized. But the food was just waaaay too salty. (shrimp were nice though).

Given a choice of 3, I would probably do La Cucina, Cagneys and Le Bistro.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks! It's our first cruise ever so we plan on it. Good to know about Teppanyaki. That would not go over well with my crew!! We are not much for French cuisine so did choose Moderno over LeBistro. If nothing else it will give us some great views it sounds like to talk about!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were all set to try Teppanyaki (it's the only one we haven't eaten in before on any ship) but once I realized you couldn't make reservations until on board, I thought twice about it. I really didn't want to worry about having to rush to make the reservation that first day. We may change our minds but for now, we went with Modernos, Le Bistro and Cagney's. Seems to be the same 3 we always try - but we like them. And, I like that we are set with the reservations and I don't need to worry about anything else unless we change our minds.

Does Cagney's on the Sun offer the large Tomahawk steak? We had a delicious one on the NCL Escape and are hoping to have another one on the Sun this November. Please let me know if you know!! Thanks so much, Cruise Critic friends.

Shadowmeboy has a blog of his trip in the Sun with menus included. I believe I saw that steak listed...thought my DH might like that over the porterhouse. Check it out!!

Shadowmeboy has a blog of his trip in the Sun with menus included. I believe I saw that steak listed...thought my DH might like that over the porterhouse. Check it out!!

Yes, the Sun had the Tomahawk when we sailed. Here is the link to the review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089

The Tomahawk is pictured in the review!

Curiosity - "Tomahawk Steak" just another way to say "T-Bone Steak" ?

NO !

Upon review: NCL SUN Cagney's Menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089&page=7

Post 121

Tomahawk Rib Chop 29 oz $39.00

Perhaps a Prime Rib ?

Ah er maybe NCL beat the dead meat into submission - heck I don't know ! LOL !

• 3 weeks later...
What are the dress codes on the Sun?

Going on Alaska cruise June 19th.

Thanks

Shorts are allowed in all dining rooms except Le Bistro and Seven Seas MDR

That being said, most people dress up a little in specialty dining rooms.

We were on the SUN in November for 31 days.

We had an old "special Ultimate Dining" package and ate all 31 dinners in Specialty restaurants.

Hands down, Cagney's was our favorite, as it is on nearly all NCL ships.

The filet mignon is the best, even better than most USA steak houses.

We like every thing about Cagney's.

On the SUN, we also liked Le Bistro, though this restaurant has fallen from our graces on most other ships.

We enjoyed La Cuchina and thought the food was very good. I've heard others who say they are used to better Italian food say is it so-so.

We lived in Italy for 3 years. Some of the items in La Cuchina were just as good.

The Osso Buco is wonderful.

Teppanyaki is good for a one time experience in my opinion.

Some people have complained that the rice was too salty.

They now use gluten free soy sauce for everyone, so that may have helped keep the salt down.

I have eaten there several times, having GF soy sauce and I did not find it too salty.

Until recently, they used a GF soy sauce only for those on a GF diet.

The ritual is always the same and the show does not vary.

Good luck and enjoy!