Flights to Basel

cruisewiththekids

We are doing a Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. Coming from the US, I see all my flight options have two connections to Basel. However, one of those options is one flight connection in Newark and then a train connection from Zurich to Basel. Does anyone have experience using the Swiss Railways as their connection to Basel?

Zurich airport to Basel is very easy, but not all trains are direct. The xx:43 trains each hour are usually the direct ones, although there are others. Indirect trains require a change at Zurich main station.

Either way average journey time is around 1.5 hours. The SBB website will give great info http://www.sbb.ch/en

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that you will have to take the S Bahn into Zurich to board the train for Basel.

See www.sbb.ch/en

Ira

There are direct trains from the airport to Basel--no need to take the S Bahn. We chose to fly home from Zurich on a cruise ending in Basel a couple of years ago. We decided that we preferred a short land trip and two air legs to three air legs.

I just did our flight routing yesterday for a Basel to Amsterdam sailing. I found several very good routes on Delta/KLM that go from US. Going over hubby is New Orleans to Basel with a change in Atlanta and a change in Amsterdam. Yes, it's three legs, but the connections are good and we enjoy those airports, plus 2 of the legs are very short. My personal opinion would be that after flying internationally, you might prefer to continue on by plane, rather than have to navigate a different transportation mode (train) with a foggy head.

I am flying in 2 weeks ahead of him, and into Rome rather than Basel, to go on a Med cruise with a friend, then at the end of the Med cruise, flying from Barcelona to Basel to meet hubby and the river cruise.

I worked with Viking Custom Air, there is a $50 per person fee to do so, and gave them the routing I wanted, and they booked what I requested. I am also paying a $100 per person fee for a deviation as I am going in early to a different city, and hubby is arriving one day earlier.

We also chose flights that fly home from Amsterdam to New Orleans, with one connection in JFK, departing Amsterdam in the afternoon and arriving N.O. that night, so we won't have the last day, super early morning rush on departure.

We did this exact itinerary two years ago from Newark. Flew nonstop Neawrk to Munich then Munich to Basel returning directly Amsrerdam to Newark. The reason we selected Munich was the nice layover, smaller airport, easy to get around. We flew United but I know that Luftansa has the same service with shorter layover. This year we are doing a Danube cruise/ trip that starts in Prague. Again we are flying Newark to Munich then Munich to Prague with Luftassa.