Do P&O Take Their Passenger Loyalty For Granted?

megacruiser

Just had a look at the benefits available on the higher tiers of the Peninsular Club. Have to say there is nothing much there that would make me actively pursue higher status.

Do you think P&O are simply giving tiny little extras at each tier because they know a lot of their passengers will just keep coming back, come hell or high water?

Anyone choosing with which line to cruise on the basis of loyalty rewards, surely wouldn't give P&O a second thought?

Perhaps their loyal passengers think the product is so good that no further reward for loyalty is needed?

I spread my custom around various lines based on numerous factors. Yet I get much better rewards from most of those lines at mid-tier level than P&O give at the top.

Anyone who cruises for the loyalty levels is just plain daft. Loyalty benefits are a little extra, nothing more nothing less.

Cruise lines who have fantastic benefits just look a bit desperate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Simple answer is Yes

Ditto.

Dai, I certainly would not consider that Celebrity is at all desparate, but their loyalty perks of free wifi minutes and free pre dinner drinks beats anything P&O offers, my total savings over 8 cruises on onboard spend discount, after OBC is taken into account, comes nowhere near one cruises perks woth X.

I think in the 'Marlow' era the answer was yes and we have undoubtedly been living with the legacy. Time will tell what they think now as they are about to announce changes to loyalty benefits, hopefully we will see big improvement.

Dai is right about us not choosing a cruise provider on the basis of loyalty - after all if we did the ships would be empty in favour of the generous schemes offered on other lines. Having said this the loyalty package on Princess has indeed lured us towards them and the benefit of free laundry etc. was definitely valued.

The P&O strategy of keeping the cost down means things like loyalty benefits aren't so generous. I have been passionate about P&O needing to overhaul loyalty for some time and like others await the announcement with interest and a pinch of cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say Yes they do. The current benefits are pretty poor compared to Princess where we got free laundry, 250 mins free internet and a free loaded mini bar.

The 10% off the bill is OK but you have to use up your OBC before you get it.

In a nutshell, yes, though we do like the discounts off purchases. I get cross that they won't let Travel Agents give decent discounts ... a bit controlling.

The best one we had was on RCI. We had been on Celebrity and transferred to RCI's loyalty club on a short cruise. Had some great benefits even though we had not sailed with them ...

If you can manage to get to Caribbean or above (200 nights) then some of the benefits are worth having, but having read the separate thread on embarkation, it appears that the early boarding 'privilege' isn't even as good as the bog standard embarkation process of other (mainly US) lines!

I'd like to see some form of boarding privilege for Mediterranean tier (say 1.30/2pm) but am not holding my breath.

If P&O is genuinely forward thinking, they should reflect on the fact that most loyalty members of Baltic and Ligurian level are wealthy retired people, many of whom will be on very generous final salary pension schemes, the like of which are no longer available to subsequent generations. The proportion of cruisers able to afford the frequency of cruising that warrants such status will fall in future years, so they should be looking to incentivise customers better at an earlier stage to retain loyalty in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

I would say Yes they do. The current benefits are pretty poor compared to Princess where we got free laundry, 250 mins free internet and a free loaded mini bar.

The 10% off the bill is OK but you have to use up your OBC before you get it.

Well with princess you can reach the top level in a few as 75 nights cruising instead of 250 for P&O to me that is desperation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I book a cruise by where I want to go, when I want to go and the best relative price to get there. Relative being quality of ship, food, entertainment etc.

Loyalty perks are a nice bonus. It not a deal breaker as they can (and frequently do) change. We just missed out when the last P&O loyalty scheme change kicked in and yes it annoyed me but it did not stop me booking a future cruise with the company if the overall package suited me.

Relativley perks can lose their value very quickly by comparison eg

The 1pm embarkation with P&O is worthless when compared with the 11am standard boarding on Celebrity.

The free bar before dinner drinks on Celebrity is worthless when compared with the ability to bring a bottle onboard to drink while dressing for dinner on P&O.

The main reason for booking a cruise holiday is that I want to enjoy it.

That said if 2 lines are offering the same sort of package I will book with the one offering the best perks and that is seldom P&O.

If you can manage to get to Caribbean or above (200 nights) then some of the benefits are worth having, but having read the separate thread on embarkation, it appears that the early boarding 'privilege' isn't even as good as the bog standard embarkation process of other (mainly US) lines!

I'd like to see some form of boarding privilege for Mediterranean tier (say 1.30/2pm) but am not holding my breath.

If P&O is genuinely forward thinking, they should reflect on the fact that most loyalty members of Baltic and Ligurian level are wealthy retired people, many of whom will be on very generous final salary pension schemes, the like of which are no longer available to subsequent generations. The proportion of cruisers able to afford the frequency of cruising that warrants such status will fall in future years, so they should be looking to incentivise customers better at an earlier stage to retain loyalty in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

Great observations, like most people I mourned the demise of DB schemes. I'm trying to plan ahead and balance the prospect of early retirement with the ability to cruise - not easy!

Great observations, like most people I mourned the demise of DB schemes. I'm trying to plan ahead and balance the prospect of early retirement with the ability to cruise - not easy!

I am saying nothing.

Well with princess you can reach the top level in a few as 75 nights cruising instead of 250 for P&O to me that is desperation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Dai, why on earth do you consider Princess desperate because they give generous loyalty perks, you must remember that Princess was the jewel in P&O's crown that meant Carnival were determined not to let them fall into RCI's hands. I doubt it has changed much and probably still makes the best profit margin for Carnival.

If you do not feel that P&O Loyalty Club Benefits suit you, why cruise with P&O go elsewhere and have your loyalty to that line rewarded.

No one is forcing you to make a booking with P&O.

Sanjam, you constantly make these sort of comments which are rather pointless.

There are a lot of non flying posters on here who prefer P&O because it has the most ships and itineraries sailing from Southampton, but that should not mean P&O ought to take us for granted. We would all like to receive the same perks and the same service with P&O that we know does exist outside your insular sailing bubble, and I for one intend to continue demanding that P&O improve, both on here as well as in direct communications with them.

Dai, why on earth do you consider Princess desperate because they give generous loyalty perks, you must remember that Princess was the jewel in P&O's crown that meant Carnival were determined not to let them fall into RCI's hands. I doubt it has changed much and probably still makes the best profit margin for Carnival.

There are a lot of non flying posters on here who prefer P&O because it has the most ships and itineraries sailing from Southampton, but that should not mean P&O ought to take us for granted. We would all like to receive the same perks and the same service with P&O that we know does exist outside your insular sailing bubble, and I for one intend to continue demanding that P&O improve, both on here as well as in direct communications with them.

John because I do, am I not allowed my opinion.

But perhaps I should not think that as I have said anyone making a choice of cruise line because of there loyalty scheme must be daft.

I certainly do not.

I am saying nothing.

I admit it is a third world problem [emoji854]

On the up side cruising with P&O seems to be cheaper than most retirement homes [emoji849] so maybe the time will come when I sell up and move to Arcadia [emoji16]

Maybe then I will get some decent loyalty benefits haha.

Elsewhere it has been reported as people take more cruises their onboard spend drops so to maximise profits they need to encourage new cruisers, not spend money on the old fogeys who proudly tell everyone they don't drink, gamble, use the alternative restaurants, spa, buy excursions, use the onboard shops etc etc.

So why bother with passenger loyalty at all, unless it is firmly based on your previous onboard spend record. Reward those who spend.

controversial eh!.

Elsewhere it has been reported as people take more cruises their onboard spend drops so to maximise profits they need to encourage new cruisers, not spend money on the old fogeys who proudly tell everyone they don't drink, gamble, use the alternative restaurants, spa, buy excursions, use the onboard shops etc etc.

So why bother with passenger loyalty at all, unless it is firmly based on your previous onboard spend record. Reward those who spend.

controversial eh!.

I will drink to that, we spend plenty on wine every night in MDR, cocktails in bar, shorex, shops etc. Give us a bump up from Med Tier P&O.:halo: Having a battle currently trying to get our 5% past passengers discount applied to our two bookings on Adonia for next year. Buck passing between the agent and P&O. I will get there in the end.

controversial eh!.

I am a proud old fogey, only I do not fit your pattern, as you know. Where have I gone wrong.

Of course young fogeys would apply as well.

I imagine loyalty points building up based on your total spend including cabin etc. Then you would reach a plateaux and if you did not want to decline in status you would have to maintain your total spend, probably calculated on a per day basis. Only the last few cruises would count so if peoples total spend per day fell their status would also fall. Eventually those who proudly don't spend anything aboard will find their status is only based on the price of their cabin, a level at which you don't get any perks.

Terrierjohn

It would appear from reading your posts that it is unwise of anyone to disagree with your opinion.

My posts and my recent post are not "Pointless" and I may add I do not exist in an insular sailing bubble as you suggest.

What I am is one of the many thousands of P&O Guests who sail with that line on a very regular basis and are more than happy with the product we pay for, I have cruised with other lines and in fact I shall be sailing with Cunard later in the year.

"Loyalty" perks do not appear very high on my list when choosing which line to enjoy my cruises with.

But hey just you keep badgering away there, while I sit in the sunshine with a cool beer and enjoy my insuler surroundings.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers
Punctuation.

We are Baltic level on P & O, therefore Elite on Princess, and we do feel taken for granted when sailing with P & O .....but we feel very special when sailing with Princess!! Simple as that!

We just wish that Princess had more variety of itineraries sailing from Southampton as that is our preferred embarkation port.

Anyone choosing a line because of perks needs their bumps felt. And all these whingers and moaners. Well sod off to another company where you can revel in your free laundry and stuff.

I choose a cruise based on the itinerary. Then pick the best ship to go there. Having said that we have 750 quid OBC for our next P&O cruise. Not sure what we will spend it on but I am sure we will think of something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like all things, different aspects of loyalty perks appeal to different people. I like the % discount to on-board spend but am not interested in free internet minutes or a stocked bar in the cabin. I would agree that it is not worth choosing a cruise purely because of the loyalty scheme offered by the cruise line.