Do P&O Take Their Passenger Loyalty For Granted?

megacruiser

I recently checked the price of every one of the 5 future P&O cruises we have booked for 2017 and 2018 and the 'net' price (total cost less on board credit) is now more for every single one of them than when we booked. The 'offers' that we all get are marketing spin. Deep discounts come with less OBC. Generous OBC offers come with higher cruise prices. The marketing works, because people book thinking they are getting a great deal. The reality (nowadays at least) appears to be that the best overall prices are to be had when the cruises are first released.

You have explained excellently well done.

Like you say playing with numbers can make things look better than they are.

For family reasons we can only get away for 7 nights so the Royal Carribean cruises selection suits us rather that mostly sailing through the Bay of Biscay from Southampton on P&O and after 93 nights cruising with P&O we know those ports very well.

43 cruises and counting.

Yes they do! putting aside all that has been said regarding food,service, quality and price, there is no excuse for them increasing the daily service charge for a cruise already bought and fully paid for, without any advice.

I know it was only 50p pppd BUT we did not receive an email or a note in the cabin.

They can send notices regarding a hundred things we dont want/need but dont have the courtesy to advise this.

Yes we knew an increase was on the way BUT only from comment on CC. and checking

our account mid cruise confirmed it.

Yes they do! putting aside all that has been said regarding food,service, quality and price, there is no excuse for them increasing the daily service charge for a cruise already bought and fully paid for, without any advice.

I know it was only 50p pppd BUT we did not receive an email or a note in the cabin.

They can send notices regarding a hundred things we dont want/need but dont have the courtesy to advise this.

Yes we knew an increase was on the way BUT only from comment on CC. and checking

Very well said it might seem trivial to them but a blanket email to everyone who was booked would have been the respectful thing to do.

The sad thing is the gratuitys are still a lot less than other lines and the service is always excellent.

43 cruises and counting.

Did you use an agent for your booking rather than booking directly with P&O? If so, P &O may have sent notification of the increase to your agent who has not passed it on to you.

Did you use an agent for your booking rather than booking directly with P&O? If so, P &O may have sent notification of the increase to your agent who has not passed it on to you.

Like all cruises, P&O ask for the API (advanced passenger information) of the passenger weeks before the passenger boards the ship, don't they? And with that, as a passenger, you will usually provide your email address or mobile number, don't you? If so, that means that if P&O want to, they can contact and inform the passenger directly. So why didn't they?

If so, that means that if P&O want to, they can contact and inform the passenger directly. So why didn't they?

Yes, I'm sure they can but as people appoint agents to deal with the pre cruise process, why should they? No doubt if they did contact people directly and not through their agents, some would take offence and take the opportunity to complain, probably on here.

Like all cruises, P&O ask for the API (advanced passenger information) of the passenger weeks before the passenger boards the ship, don't they? And with that, as a passenger, you will usually provide your email address or mobile number, don't you? If so, that means that if P&O want to, they can contact and inform the passenger directly. So why didn't they?

Because if you book with an agent P&O will only deal with you through the agent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you read some of the other boards like Celebrity you will find stories about loyal passengers 'bumped off' cruises at the last minute... and I mean within days of boarding.

We too have just found out that our cruise on Celebrity next year has been cancelled as someone else has chartered the cruise ship. Well good for them! Just as well we hadn't booked pre night stays and flights.

P&O may not be perfect, but all cruise lines are in the 'let's make a profit' game so what really does it mean to be 'loyal' to past cruisers ???????????????

If you read some of the other boards like Celebrity you will find stories about loyal passengers 'bumped off' cruises at the last minute... and I mean within days of boarding.

We too have just found out that our cruise on Celebrity next year has been cancelled as someone else has chartered the cruise ship. Well good for them! Just as well we hadn't booked pre night stays and flights.

P&O may not be perfect, but all cruise lines are in the 'let's make a profit' game so what really does it mean to be 'loyal' to past cruisers ???????????????

No cruise company is perfect, everyone of them have something or other that they could do better. Also, they are all in for a profit. And why shouldn't they? After all, they are all businesses, aren't they, they are not a charities! I think most people would agree about that. However, there are some cruise companies that listen to their customers views more , always trying to find out if there is anything that they could improve on, address those issues and find solutions for them. For us, from a customer perspective, that is what make those cruise companies the better ones. It is up to you to decide whether P&O is one of them.

Cannot believe the whinging about an extra 50p . Get a life. It is still so much cheaper than any USD based cruise line. Gives us Brits a bad name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are right that is only 50p. And it is really tiny relative to what you have to spend on a cruise.

But if you were to try and look from Alaunis' point of view. it was most probably not the money but the principle. You could argue, if a cruise company can raise gratuities without informing customers directly, what is there to stop them for raising prices of other things (drinks prices, charges for speciality restaurants, excursions, etc, etc) without informing customers and wait for them to find out when they get on board? Is that still going to be alright? Or would you say, who cares? Just a thought.

Edited by Cahpek

You are right that is only 50p. And it is really tiny relative to what you have to spend on a cruise.

But if you were to try and look from Alaunis' point of view. it was most probably not the money but the principle. You could argue, if a cruise company can raise gratuities without informing customers directly, what is there to stop them for raising prices of other things (drinks prices, charges for speciality restaurants, excursions, etc, etc) without informing customers and wait for them to find out when they get on board? Is that still going to be alright? Or would you say, who cares? Just a thought.

They do raise prices for drinks etc from time to time without telling passengers just like every retail establishment does. Should Tesco inform every regular customer every time the price of an item increases? I don't see why any cruise line should be any different.

They do raise prices for drinks etc from time to time without telling passengers just like every retail establishment does. Should Tesco inform every regular customer every time the price of an item increases? I don't see why any cruise line should be any different.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My word! Have they compensated you or just given you the deposit back?

My word! Have they compensated you or just given you the deposit back?

They've offered us alternative dates for the same cruise, but we can't do them as we will be in work.

They have said that they will give us $200 OBC if we move to another cruise but we are trying to find out if that can be added to the new offer of $300 and AI drinks that they are running. Whatever, we have until the 19th to let them know, which isn't long when Easter is in between and we are going away. We like to do our research on ships and cabins etc before we book and don't want to rush into anything. To be honest we've already spent ages looking at other cruises for that time as well and the only ones that appeal to us are silly money ....

Just makes us edgy that we could book with them again and then find out that they've cancelled that one as well. Seems to happen a lot with Celebrity and people moan on here if they miss a port out !

Just had a look at the benefits available on the higher tiers of the Peninsular Club. Have to say there is nothing much there that would make me actively pursue higher status.

Do you think P&O are simply giving tiny little extras at each tier because they know a lot of their passengers will just keep coming back, come hell or high water?

Anyone choosing with which line to cruise on the basis of loyalty rewards, surely wouldn't give P&O a second thought?

Perhaps their loyal passengers think the product is so good that no further reward for loyalty is needed?

I spread my custom around various lines based on numerous factors. Yet I get much better rewards from most of those lines at mid-tier level than P&O give at the top.

Anyone who cruises for the loyalty levels is just plain daft. Loyalty benefits are a little extra, nothing more nothing less.

Cruise lines who have fantastic benefits just look a bit desperate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Couldn't agree more Dai.

I certainly enjoy the Peninsular lunch though and of course, being a big spender onboard, the 10% comes in handy.

But the bottom line is I enjoy my cruises with P&O when I choose to cruise with them.

I think if you re-read that Celebrity thread the OP is still on the cruise, just in a different cabin.

A lot of huff and puff over not a lot.

Flights and hotels usually only come into range within 12 months. One of the risks not booking a 'package'.

I think if you re-read that Celebrity thread the OP is still on the cruise, just in a different cabin.

A lot of huff and puff over not a lot.

Flights and hotels usually only come into range within 12 months. One of the risks not booking a 'package'.

When I started to read that thread there as no news about the OPs being in another cabin.

To be honest, it would be more than a lot of huff and puff for me just before I was about to cruise and had already got my luggage tags etc. Personally, I'd be more than anxious, but if you wouldn't worry about it, then each to their own.

Happy cruising

They've offered us alternative dates for the same cruise, but we can't do them as we will be in work.

They have said that they will give us $200 OBC if we move to another cruise but we are trying to find out if that can be added to the new offer of $300 and AI drinks that they are running. Whatever, we have until the 19th to let them know, which isn't long when Easter is in between and we are going away. We like to do our research on ships and cabins etc before we book and don't want to rush into anything. To be honest we've already spent ages looking at other cruises for that time as well and the only ones that appeal to us are silly money ....

Just makes us edgy that we could book with them again and then find out that they've cancelled that one as well. Seems to happen a lot with Celebrity and people moan on here if they miss a port out !

I can understand how you feel, especially as you took so long choosing in the first place.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your holiday.

I can understand how you feel, especially as you took so long choosing in the first place.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Thanks - are now happy with what we have moved to. A different ship but we will have to suffer sailing from Venice. Sigh ;-)

Got $500 OBC and an AI drinks package and a fabulous Concierge Class cabin with far more perks than we had before. We still have to pay for most of it though :) Have to say that folk on the Celebrity thread have been really helpful with our cabin choice. Thanks to them for rallying round :D

Thanks - are now happy with what we have moved to. A different ship but we will have to suffer sailing from Venice. Sigh ;-)

Got $500 OBC and an AI drinks package and a fabulous Concierge Class cabin with far more perks than we had before. We still have to pay for most of it though :) Have to say that folk on the Celebrity thread have been really helpful with our cabin choice. Thanks to them for rallying round :D

Good, so now you can enjoy your holiday and forget about this.

Good, so now you can enjoy your holiday and forget about this.

We have some P&O ones to go inbetween ;-) Not sure how that has happened and have now decided that we will never be rich in our old age !!!

With regard to the food offer deteriorating there are a couple of factors which make it far more difficult now to do the sorts of things they did 15 years ago. First of all most of the newer ships coming into operation are significantly bigger than before, for example Britannia has a capacity of nearly double that of the Oriana. The scale of cruise ship catering is staggering anyway, but some things just aren't possible to produce and serve consistently at such levels, regardless of the additional galley space or staffing. They can't be seen to have their new flagship vessel operating with lower quality service or food, so they bring everything down to the level of what is achievable. Likewise, the more staff you need, the less choosy you can be with their skill level, so there are people working on ships now that would never have come close to the standards required previously.

The second issue is the whole 'freedom dining'-style service becoming the demanded norm. Under the old two sitting service, the kitchen operation was done with military precision and because the service times were known it could be planned and executed much easier and more consistently. With the freedom dining, there is a necessity for more cook-hold items to be used as the items are called off all through the evening, and food quality will always suffer. This is one of the prices you have to pay if you want more 'control' as a passenger.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge amount of cost cutting to try and keep prices as near to the psychological £100pppn barrier as they possibly can, as well as trying to attract new generations of cruisers, but there are some mitigating circumstances with the food that aren't altogether within their control.

With regard to the food offer deteriorating there are a couple of factors which make it far more difficult now to do the sorts of things they did 15 years ago. First of all most of the newer ships coming into operation are significantly bigger than before, for example Britannia has a capacity of nearly double that of the Oriana. The scale of cruise ship catering is staggering anyway, but some things just aren't possible to produce and serve consistently at such levels, regardless of the additional galley space or staffing. They can't be seen to have their new flagship vessel operating with lower quality service or food, so they bring everything down to the level of what is achievable. Likewise, the more staff you need, the less choosy you can be with their skill level, so there are people working on ships now that would never have come close to the standards required previously.

The second issue is the whole 'freedom dining'-style service becoming the demanded norm. Under the old two sitting service, the kitchen operation was done with military precision and because the service times were known it could be planned and executed much easier and more consistently. With the freedom dining, there is a necessity for more cook-hold items to be used as the items are called off all through the evening, and food quality will always suffer. This is one of the prices you have to pay if you want more 'control' as a passenger.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge amount of cost cutting to try and keep prices as near to the psychological £100pppn barrier as they possibly can, as well as trying to attract new generations of cruisers, but there are some mitigating circumstances with the food that aren't altogether within their control.

You could be right. However, those issues you mentioned that affected food standard would be similar with other cruise lines too, wouldn't they? However, if you look at other threads and posts on Cruise Critic, it appears that P&O has more than its fair share of complaints about food standards but these complaints were fewer with other cruise ship companies.

Even Princess Cruises, which is really a "sister" company to P&O, in our view, their quality and consistency of their cuisine is much better. And their buffet offerings also seem to be way better than P&O in its execution and quality.

You would think Princess would face the same challenges as P&O, wouldn't you? And their fares are not that different (some may disagree on this score!). If we are correct, both P&O and Princess have "Grand Class" ships. And then ,the Britannia is the same class ship as the Royal Princess and Regal Princess. Yet they seem to manage the food quality and consistency issue better. Why is it?

Edited by Gnoelj