Cruising with medical; active chemo treatments

I am cruising with several friends on Allure in June. One of the ladies is currently having chemo treatments. Her doctor has given her the go ahead to cruise (she was told to watch out for the increased sunburn risk). Her doctor is scheduling chemo around the vacation, so that before leaving, her treatment won't be too close to the cruise date. My question is, is there a form or anything we need to do to inform Royal Caribbean of this prior to sailing so that they are aware? I know at the port there is a medical questionnaire but from what I recall it's mostly geared toward contagious illness. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe there are any special circumstances surrounding someone receiving chemo treatments. You could reach out to the access department if you want to make sure. Im sure others with similar experiences will chime in as well.

The access department phone number is: (866) 592-7225

My first cruise was in between my late husband's chemo treatments. We did not report that to anyone, though it was very obvious to anyone who looked at him. He had no medical issues while on the cruise, just rested a lot. We had the very best vacation ever, and I still smile when I think about his pleasure and excitement while telling the friends who picked us up about the cruise. One of my greatest memories of him and our marriage. Let your friend do what she feels up to doing and let her enjoy it in her own way. All of you will have a great time.

My husband has been receiving treatments for cancer since 2014 and we have sailed quite a few cruises since than. He had a treatment Monday and we sail on Saturday.

Unless your friend would be in need of ship medical service, what business would it be of Royals? We have never shared this information with them. As previous poster said, other than being tired and having to choose activities carefully, you would never know. We do not do "sun" activities so that is not an issue for us.

Hope your friend enjoys her cruise and just encourage her to rest as much and as often as her body tells her. Wonderful doctor once told me, "Listen to your body and you will be fine."

I also have my health issues especially on my upcoming cruise....I had a person tell me I should stop cruising which is ridiculous its like telling somebody to give up on life.....I am very happy to hear she will be on the cruise. She will be fine but I do suggest her looking into GeoBlue Voyager Choice medical insurance, just as a precaution, they cover pre-existing conditions and its an excellent plan. A cruise is exactly what she needs! Enjoy!:);)

I have experienced cancer 3 times since 2008 with the last time being in 2016. I was in the midst of chemo treatments when I embarked on a cruise last fall. My oncologist gave his blessing and adjusted my chemo schedule to facilitate the time I was away. He also sent me with a printout of my cancer treatment history including the latest lab results as well as a listing of all medications that I was currently being administered. I kept those documents out on the desk in the cabin so they were readily available in the event that information was needed in a hurry. Fortunately it wasn't needed and I had a most enjoyable cruise.

My only advice would be to take things slow and easy, rest often, keep hydrated, wash your hands frequently, be careful if eating from the buffet, etc. In other words, take all precautions on board as you would on land.

Go and enjoy your cruise! :cool:

DH has cruised twice while on Chemo. We told no one at RCCL. He did become dehydrated on 1 of the cruises. Tell your friend to stay Hydrated and enjoy her cruise.

We traveled to Europe on one of the cruises. His oncologist sent his medical records with us. We never need them.

I would find out if there is any risk with any kind of body fluid waste with that particular kind of chemo. Some treatments require special precautions for situations such as if your friend threw up, and how to handle the waste. It may be toxic to others, especially if they are pregnant. Her physician can answer that one and just have a back up plan for things like that..i.e. extra gloves for clean up, plastic bag for any soiled clothes. I wish for your friend a happy healthy cruise.

My first cruise was in between my late husband's chemo treatments. We did not report that to anyone, though it was very obvious to anyone who looked at him. He had no medical issues while on the cruise, just rested a lot. We had the very best vacation ever, and I still smile when I think about his pleasure and excitement while telling the friends who picked us up about the cruise. One of my greatest memories of him and our marriage. Let your friend do what she feels up to doing and let her enjoy it in her own way. All of you will have a great time.

What a beautiful and thoughtful post. I agree with everything, and experienced much the same when we cruised in 2014. People could tell I was a cancer patient and several spoke with me about it, asked questions, gave me supportive looks and smiles. We never mentioned it nor we were asked at any time to provide medical details to any RCI staff/crew/agents.

As mentioned, your friend will be tired (I was tired for YEARS after chemo - not uncommon). I would suggest you let her set her own pace. She may have one great day and then one awful day, just be prepared. Simply walking around the ship and going from meals to activities to the theater, etc. may tire her out.

Have fun, take lots of pictures, make beautiful memories! :)