How is the Coffee like on HAL? Any coffee making facilities in their cabins?

Cahpek

We've been on HAL cruises two times in the last two years (and going on our third-the Konningsdam-April 15). These last two cruises we were in a Neptune suite and there was a coffee maker-a Keurig. I am not a fan of that type of coffee maker for many reasons. Would much prefer a good cup of coffee from either the Pinnacle or the MDR.

Be sure to visit the Grand Dutch Cafe. :)

you have to pay for the espresso now. Used to be free in MDR. I find it interesting for people to rate coffee when they put so much sugar and cream in that you don't taste coffee. I grew up in N Eng. and never did like Dunkin Donuts coffee. I like Rhode Island donuts, Ruth! Starbucks varies on what blends they use. some can be very strong like Sumatra blends. My opinion and those above just prove that everyone has their own opinions and taste buds. Have to admit I find straight Kona very strong!

Bring the Via or another brands Via and make your own with hot water.

In the Neptune Suites on the N.Amsterdam there is a Nespresso style machine. It makes a lovely cup of rich dark coffee with a bit of "Creama" on top. The "nespresso Style" capsules are replaced as you use them. Also.... the capsules are for that machine only and are slightly larger than Nespresso capsules. There was a selection of regular, strong or long and short pour capsules.

There is a fancy single serve coffee and hot beverage maker in the Neptune Lounge. Espresso, Cappuccino, etc is available on the selection menu.

Coffee from the urn is free on the ship.

I toured the galley and they have espresso style machines etc if you want to pay extra at dinner.

There is a "Starbucks" style cafe where you can purchase coffee as well.

Hot water for tea / instant coffee is available. Tea is free as well. You could always bring your own instant.

love this topic -- kind of like 'is the wine any good' TOTALLY subjective - I like the coffee just fine -- Starbucks is tooooooooo strong -- taste it and see if you like it -- if not drink something else.

love this topic -- kind of like 'is the wine any good' TOTALLY subjective - I like the coffee just fine -- Starbucks is tooooooooo strong -- taste it and see if you like it -- if not drink something else.

To me, the best thing is to find a local roaster and get beans there. Small-batch roasting and immediate use makes a big difference. Most Starbucks coffee tastes a tad burnt, which is different from strong. Unless I'm doing an espresso or cappuccino, I'm not a dark roast person. I like a nice medium roast. One *bucks bag that I buy if I'm out of beans and can't get to anywhere else - their Kenya whole bean.

I'm going to grab my morning coffee from the coffee bar. I'll pay for a slightly better mug of coffee.