225% single supplements? DON'T BOOK THEM!

cruisestitch

Just checked my booked TA on Reflection for next April. Single supplement is 30% over double for 2D cat.

Single - $4289/ cabin

Double - about $3300 / cabin.

I booked this cruise a year ago and thought that price was high for TA. In 2015 we paid $3500/ cabin for AQ cabin for a Fall TA.

I would not pay more than 200%.

I see that you are really fired up over this bottomfeeder. Hey, if you don't like the 225% single supplement don't give X your business. If you and lots of other singles stop giving their business to X the law of supply and demand might force down those single supplement rates.

I think that's what I said. :)

I just wanted to dispute the "hey, you may not like it but it's fair" comments that others made. Because it is not fair to single out one group for extra charges if you don't single out other groups who do less onboard spending per cabin.

I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling. Out of 6 pages of Xciting Deals, none of which are very xciting, the only cruises showing a 225% supplement are all cruises out of Bayonne, mostly 1-week to Bermuda. When I just now went into the X website for these cruises and tried various bookings, there were "Special Deals" on everything and no 225% supplement to be found. Just the 200% as usual. So maybe it's a typo?

Also, I just checked all the Transatlantics on the X website and every category is 200% supplement. The April Reflection TA is $2199/person for a 2D double, or $4398 solo.

I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling. Out of 6 pages of Xciting Deals, none of which are very xciting, the only cruises showing a 225% supplement are all cruises out of Bayonne, mostly 1-week to Bermuda. When I just now went into the X website for these cruises and tried various bookings, there were "Special Deals" on everything and no 225% supplement to be found. Just the 200% as usual. So maybe it's a typo?

The "sale" with 225% Bermuda solo rates doesn't start until tomorrow, so I would assume those rates aren't loaded yet. It'll be interesting to check them tomorrow and see what's what....

I think that's what I said. :)

I just wanted to dispute the "hey, you may not like it but it's fair" comments that others made. Because it is not fair to single out one group for extra charges if you don't single out other groups who do less onboard spending per cabin.

Frankly I don't know why X doesn't charge the skinflints or older people more per cabin. I think it might be a good idea for Corp's bottom line and cash flow (of course it might not be). But I suspect the AARP and its lawyers might have an issue with an order folk’s supplement. And if X did implement those supplements and someone came on CC to complain about 'fairness' I would tell them what I told you. Don’t complain, vote with your $$$$$$$.

P.S. And since I'm in the skinflint category that would include me.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Frankly I don't know why X doesn't charge the skinflints or older people more per cabin. I think it might be a good idea for Corp's bottom line and cash flow (of course it might not be). But I suspect the AARP and its lawyers might have an issue with an order folk’s supplement. And if X did implement those supplements and someone came on CC to complain about 'fairness' I would tell them what I told you. Don’t complain, vote with your $$$$$$$.

P.S. And since I'm in the skinflint category that would include me.

Cannot price in any way that discriminates using a protected class (age, sex, race, religion, etc.)

Even if it was allowed age is not a good determination of dollars spent on cruises. The biggest indicator is probably number of previous cruises. In general the people that have cruised a lot tend to spend less on board then first timers or those that have cruised only a few times.

They could do like some airlines and hotels are doing and have points earned based upon the number of dollars spent and convert those points to discounts.

Cannot price in any way that discriminates using a protected class (age, sex, race, religion, etc.)

Even if it was allowed age is not a good determination of dollars spent on cruises. The biggest indicator is probably number of previous cruises. In general the people that have cruised a lot tend to spend less on board then first timers or those that have cruised only a few times.

They could do like some airlines and hotels are doing and have points earned based upon the number of dollars spent and convert those points to discounts.

No but they can give discounts, bonuses etc (probably OBC) based on past spend.

I come back to my admonition when I started this thread.....single, don't book these! Let this trial balloon plunge to the earth and explode......

Did you ever think that the goal of Celebrity might be exactly that? Reduce the number of cabins used for single bookings.

The biggest indicator is probably number of previous cruises. In general the people that have cruised a lot tend to spend less on board then first timers or those that have cruised only a few times.

Can you please list the source where you found this information? I would like to read up on this.

Can you please list the source where you found this information? I would like to read up on this.

A number of places. Some data comes from the cruise lines SEC filings obtainable through the EDGAR system on the SEC web site.

There are also reports on cruise line demographics by Cruise Line International Association (CLIA) and cruisemarketwatch.com. For example here is a general report that gives a good set of industry wide data.

http://www.cruising.org/docs/default-source/research/clia_naconsumerprofile_2014.pdf

The most detailed report on the subject detailing with spending details was an analyst report that I got through my brokerage house and not available on line. That is where I first saw the authors data and conclusions about spending rates based upon number of previous cruise days on a given cruise line. Kind of surprised me when I first saw it. However, it does make sense when you consider the free items one gets when they reach various status on a given line, the tendency for more experienced cruisers to go with private or no excursions instead of ship board ones, etc.

Again keep in mind that we are talking overall statistics and averages. Individual experiences may vary.

Edited by RDC1

The "sale" with 225% Bermuda solo rates doesn't start until tomorrow, so I would assume those rates aren't loaded yet. It'll be interesting to check them tomorrow and see what's what....

I wonder if the "sale" with the 225% is just charging the same total as before the sale. In other words, no lower sale pricing for singles.

On other words, it may be 225% of the sale price, but just 200% of the non-sale price.