Equinox or Edge?

Ray3127

We are planning our second cruise. Had a great first time with the family on the Disney Dream, and our search for a cruise for just me and my wife has brought me to Celebrity. We are planning pretty long range--March 2019--but that looks like a good thing if we are interested in the Edge.

Our options are:

1. Edge, Western itinerary... Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, Sea, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Sea, Ft. Lauderdale.

2. Equinox, Eastern itinerary... Miami, Sea, San Juan, St. Thomas, Punta Cana, Sea, Nassau, Miami

The Edge's itinerary looks more appealing to us, but the Edge is also an extra $450 for the same room type.

Equinox's Saturday-Saturday schedule is probably better for us than the Edge's Sunday-Sunday, but that is not as important.

Do you think it is worth the extra cost to sail a snazzy ship that will be 3 months old on a better itinerary, or should we save our money and go with the known commodity? Any other questions/factors we should consider here?

We are on the Equinox for the 3rd time in 4 years this Nov.

There will be almost nothing the same between the design of the Edge and S-class, other than the are both Ships in the Celebrity fleet. Edge will be for people that want the ship to be the destination not the country's where it stops for a day.

We have many friends that are booked on an Edge sailing already. They will be a tad pricy the first year. If the country's stopped at are important, go with the S-class.

Go with the sure thing, the Equinox. The Edge, for now is just a concept, they don't even have all the spaces designated. Wait until it sails and you get some feedback before you book it and it won't be for everyone. It's not going away, time is your friend.

My favorite ship to date is the Equinox. However, I would go for the Edge. The price difference does not seem terribly steep considering all that the Edge will have to offer. In particular, the infinite verandas sound spectacular and a way to increase cabin space. I have booked the Edge for 2/17/19 and can't wait to see the finished product. It's certainly a personal preference, but I like the Edge's itinerary better than the Equinox's.

Carolyn

Only you can really answer that question, what's more important the new exciting ship or a known ship which we are sailing on for the 3rd time next month??? Lots about the Edge is still unknown, but Equinox is a great ship so either way you'll have a great vacation.

I've been on many of the "S" class ships so cancelled my January 2019 "9" night cruise on the Silhouette for a week on the Edge. We booked an Aqua class cabins and those cabins are now selling at $500 more than when we booked and that was a week after they opened up booking. If you plan to book the Edge I'd do it now before prices go up even more.

They were promoting the Edge class on our recent Equinox (3rd time) cruise. Looks like Celebrity is setting up a return to the old class system on the Edge class. So much of the ship is dedicated and reserved for Suite passengers, several decks of the ship in fact. More room for the Suite guests means less room for everyone else. I would never want to feel like a second rate cruiser i.e. steerage class. I stay in insides no less.

I feel very comfortable on the Equinox. Great and happy crew, good food, good entertainment. The Captain has that ship in great shape in every department.

IMO I would wait for Celebrity to shake out the Edge class and determine what works and what doesn't. As an example, on the new class Anthem of the Seas that RCL has they originally had no main dining rooms and many different dining places for people to go. People hated it so much that they had to refit the ship and re-introduce 2 main dining rooms. So just because it's new doesn't make it better. Besides the Equinox was only built in 2009 so it is still a basically new ship, not an old ship.

Enjoy your cruising days. It's more about attitude than anything else.

We love the Equinox! The Hot Glass Show is what we love about the Solstice type ships! It is really what you think you would like best. I also like the Eastern better than Western Caribbean, however I would do the 10 day Equinox.:)

I would go with Equinox. As you are new to cruising and the Caribbean is more port intense. It is more about where go are going and not the ship itself. So what ports interest your family more and you will have your answer.

It really depends on you; are you up for new, exciting and being a little bit of a risk taker? Do you enjoy the norm, tried and true, but a little ruffled around the edges? Do you and you Dw enjoy the same things? Write the pros and cons of each. I have been on the Equinox several times. It was our very first cruise by Celebrity in Europe. I love Europe! The Caribbean is okay, as I am booked on the inaugural sailing to enjoy all the excitement of a newly designed ship, along with new friends and old friends. The S class ships IMO are so much better than the M class. However, this is your cruise; you need to do what gets you excited, as life is way to short not to do what you really, really want to do! Please come back and let us know your decision...if it was between the Edge in the Caribbean and the Equinox in Europe, the Equinox would definitely win my heart!!!

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I really appreciate it. Figuring out exactly what we want is easier said than done, especially when you are subject to analysis paralysis like I am. However, Nordic's comments about how they are promoting the Edge concern me a bit and are pushing us toward the Equinox. The Edge looks incredible, but even if we sail on it in 2020 or 2021, it's still basically a brand new ship and they will have had time to work the kinks out. We do like the Edge's itinerary better, but with only one cruise under our belt either option would be a new experience for us. Seems better to go with the known commodity that will still be an outstanding cruise for us. Then possibly look at the Edge for our next one. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I really appreciate it. Figuring out exactly what we want is easier said than done, especially when you are subject to analysis paralysis like I am. However, Nordic's comments about how they are promoting the Edge concern me a bit and are pushing us toward the Equinox. The Edge looks incredible, but even if we sail on it in 2020 or 2021, it's still basically a brand new ship and they will have had time to work the kinks out. We do like the Edge's itinerary better, but with only one cruise under our belt either option would be a new experience for us. Seems better to go with the known commodity that will still be an outstanding cruise for us. Then possibly look at the Edge for our next one. Thanks again!

Hope you enjoy your cruise. We're on Equinox and Celebrity for the first time this December. While Nassau has to be my least favorite port, I think you'll enjoy the others (and who knows, you may love Nassau...many folks do :D ). Looks like you're in San Juan until 11pm which is great and gives you the opportunity to have a romantic dinner in Old Town or go kayak with the phosphorescent fish. We had dinner at Verde Mesa and loved it.

Also if you're into snorkeling, Coki Beach in St. Thomas is very good, if not a little scary. They feed the fish there, some of the largest schools I've swam with. Have fun counting down the days...

Edited by rain_bowbrite

I booked the Edge for March,2019 because there was only a $200.00PP difference from the Equinox. If I don't like what's coming on the Edge, I have plenty of time to switch. The Edge is selling at a much faster clip right now than the Equinox, and didn't want to get shut out. I think I have plenty of time for the Equinox.I'm on the March 24th sailing, and the 17th sailing is sold out according to a poster on CC.