Hurricane season

courtcole0902

Has anyone cruised during hurricane season? We've been to AI before during this time but never a cruise. We are cruising in September. How often is this a problem? I'm mostly worried about missing ports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

That is the peak of hurricane season.

I've sailed in August, September, and December. It's always a crap shoot with the weather, but in most cases it turns out fine if you can be flexible! I agree with previous suggestions to get cruise insurance when traveling during this time. I've never had to miss a port but it does happen, especially with tender ports. Hard to turn down the nice prices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, once in September and twice in October. The fairs are cheaper, but it is a chance you take. Last September on the Ecstasy, the cruise before ours followed a tropical storm up the cost back to the port. The cruise after us was diverted due to a hurricane.

It has been smooth sailing everytime for us *KNOCK ON WOOD*!!!

I've done cruises at other times of year, but Hurricane season is our "go to" time to cruise.

Cruise fares are most affordable and I'm up for adventure! We've been lucky so far but I know what I'm booking and why, and those are chances I am willing to take.

We will book in September without hesitation. Get insurance, if months away. :)

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

What sort of insurance are you talking about? I very much doubt if port cancellation would be covered. I suppose if you were unable to reach the port of embarkation because a hurricane interrupted your travel, that might be an insurable event.

What sort of insurance are you talking about? I very much doubt if port cancellation would be covered. I suppose if you were unable to reach the port of embarkation because a hurricane interrupted your travel, that might be an insurable event.

And if your cruise is extended like ours was or cut short or if your flight gets in late or if you get debarked at a different port from embark because embark port was destroyed like ours was and need a hotel. Some pax on our cruise were from Canada and when we debarked 4 days late due to being stranded in the gulf thanks to Frances and Ivan back in 2004 and canaveral port was a shambles of destruction...guess what? We debarked in Fort Lauderdale and air Canada couldn't get them out until Friday

Trip insurance is not to cover the cost of the cruise....which you may not even care about losing if you paid cheap enough.....its about the unforeseen and getting yourself back home

Btw do not buy insurance from the cruise line!!! Get your own policy. Just look online and you only insure your non refundable costs.

Case in point I just booked a cruise and the ship wanted $260 for 4 pax with pax 3 and 4 being zero cruise cost due to family and friends. I go to my trusted insurance online source and it's $84. Lol. I'm buying with the 14 days of deposit btw.

In case you are wondering the non refundable portion is only $2000 but all the pax get medical/trip interruption etc. if we need to eat or get hotel rooms all 4 are covered

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Has anyone cruised during hurricane season? We've been to AI before during this time but never a cruise. We are cruising in September. How often is this a problem? I'm mostly worried about missing ports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I think I read that hurricane season usually runs from Sept to Nov ( I think). My wife and I always did a cruise from a FL port in Oct, starting in Oct 2008 till Oct 2014, so for seven cruises, we never even had a problem. Of course, we might just have been lucky. But I imagine, they can always divert your ship away, maybe even around a storm to the intended port. Hurricanes aren't new to the cruise lines.

Mac

Hurricane season is officially June 1 thru November 30. 6 months. Having been thru the eye of 2 hurricanes, and dealing with a dozen or so others, I would rather deal with hurricanes than tornados. Hurricanes you have days to watch, plan and prepare. Tornados not so much.

The captain is going to do his best to not endanger his ship, or his passengers.

If your main worry is missing a port, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of that in September. I think September 22 is the very peak of the season.

We live in Florida, and while we did take a cruise once in September, I will not do it anymore. Mid-October is when I'll start to look.

Make sure (if you fly) you fly in a day early. Airports are the first to be closed. And purchase trip insurance.

People will tell you now that the ship goes around the storm, etc. However, you will be on pins and needles that whole week if there's a hurricane in the area. At that time be prepared for people here to tell you "you booked in hurricane season, what did you expect?" :p

It's just so hard to guess at. We are booked mod august. We just had friends cruise in March and they missed half moon cay bc of weather and winds and that's nowhere near hurricane season. Last year we planned beach weekends memorial day and labor day weekend and there were hurricanes both weekends that just missed us and we had amazing weather. I stressed the first couple months after booking and decided to let it go. Pack your dramamine and hope for the best!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We cruised many times during hurricane ssaeson which is abotg 6 months of the year. Only once dd did we miss ports and have our curise shortened. No one can tel what seek may have a hurricane, what path it might take and how severe it might be.

the months for atlantic hurricanes highest risk are August,, September into October though they can hit througfhout the whole season.