Why do you think it is ok to let your children run down hallways?

gizfish

Oh I completely disagree. "Back in the day" kids were expected to be seen and not heard. What's changed isn't that there are fewer parents, it's that the world had become very kid centric. Parents have allowed their world to revolve around their children and expect everyone else to accommodate them as well. I'm one who feels that children should be allowed to be any place where they can properly behave as to not cause a disruption.

Parents should be prepared to take their child out of the restaurant if they're tired and cranky and can't sit through dinner. They should sit in the back of the theater and remove a child who can't be quiet during a performance. They should plan their day so that their children get appropriate naps and have something to entertain them while waiting for food, etc.

I don't think families should be relegated to the buffet and in bed by 9 - but I do think they need to use courtesy and common sense when deciding to not just subject other people to their children, but subject their children to an adult venue and schedule.

This originally was about running in hallways. This isn't just a noise issue. I've witnessed young kids, mostly boys, running and turning a corner without looking and knocking right into other passengers. And usually they run off again without so much as an apology. One boy ran into a waitress in the main dining room and tipped a whole tray of drinks. Thankfully it wasn't hot soup or coffee. Many cruise passengers are elders and not so steady on their feet to begin with. The ship isn't a playground. Especially indoors, there's good reason to not run.

I really agree with this how thing have changed. one of my pet hates is if I am talking to an adult and their child just buts in without being reminded to wait

Also, lots of seniors forget what it was like to have small children. I have seen many more rude seniors that misbehaving children in my travels.

My husband and I have not forgotten what it was like to have small children. What we didn't know when they were small and we were young (and other young adults do not realize, either), is exactly what it is like when you are older! Parenting, even when you are young, is exhausting. When you are old, just watching kids can be exhausting! *L* Trust me, we remember....oh, God, do we remember. And as wonderful and exhausting as it was, we are grateful to have parenting behind us. We specifically choose itineraries and dates where we believe there will be few children.

We have been cruising since the early 80's. Between cruising and other traveling, our experience is diametrically opposed to yours and cancels yours out. *LOL* Even when we were traveling with our sons, children were almost always more poorly behaved than folks 60-and-over. And college-age "kids" were generally worse than everyone! *L*

That doesn't mean there aren't well-behaved children AND college-age kids, and it doesn't mean that there aren't rude seniors, or rude middle-aged folks. But in our experience, there is no way there have been "many more" rude seniors than kids.

I'm not a senior nor childless either - and I stand by my opinion that children CAN be taught to be courteous & polite without damaging their delicate psyches!

Agree with the poster who said parents these days want to be "friends" with their kids rather than doing the (harder) job of preparing their kids to be well-adjusted, CONSIDERATE, productive, happy adults.

We were not our kid' s friends. We are their parents. Yes, it's a lot of work and lots of love.

Give me a break. Kids will be kids, just like you were once. How about you take a vacation from complaining for a week and just enjoy yourselves. 180 posts on this?? If you don't like kids, book on HAL or one of those other floating retirement homes. My kids are well behaved and respectful of others. But we give them a little freedom on the ship. I had no idea that these boards and ships had so many expert parents.

Get over yourselves, and just let them pass you in the corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Give me a break. Kids will be kids, just like you were once. How about you take a vacation from complaining for a week and just enjoy yourselves. 180 posts on this?? If you don't like kids, book on HAL or one of those other floating retirement homes. My kids are well behaved and respectful of others. But we give them a little freedom on the ship. I had no idea that these boards and ships had so many expert parents.

Yup - 180 posts, and yours added absolutely zero to the absurdly pointless discussion. Feel better?

I'm sure your children had nothing to do with your decision to cruise, you wanted "your time" so you decided what was best for you and your husband. Before you jump on others, look in the mirror. And yes I'm a parent and have grandchildren, but if I wanted my children/ grandchildren to have a good time, I would take them to Disneyworld. {boy am I going to hear on this one}.

I'm sure your children had nothing to do with your decision to cruise, you wanted "your time" so you decided what was best for you and your husband. Before you jump on others, look in the mirror. And yes I'm a parent and have grandchildren, but if I wanted my children/ grandchildren to have a good time, I would take them to Disneyworld. {boy am I going to hear on this one}.

Agreed, Disney World is appropriate for children. It could also be argued that it is NOT a suitable vacation destination for the senior citizens. Walking long distances for multiple days in a row is something that many senior citizens can't handle. To solve this problem, many will choose to ride on motorized scooters in the parks and on the buses, boats, and monorails. The result of this is traffic-jammed sidewalks because scooters holding others up and forcing them to wait/walk slower. Or worse yet, someone's ankle being broken because of a careless senior citizen driving wrecklessly. Long waits for buses because scooters get priority boarding and each scooter takes up the space of three regular seats.

So if your line of reasoning regarding children on cruise ships was applied to seniors visiting Disney World it would mean that middle-aged families with young children should be of the opinion that the elderly should not visit Disney World. If that were the case, how would you take your grandchildren there?

NCL makes their rules.

Disney makes their rules.

Customers can bitch and moan.

Sometimes they can appeal.

But ultimately, like one of my sports analogies: Their ball their rules.

Customers can take it or leave it.

Ironically the only place I ever had an issue with kids while eating was in the Epic Club, in the Haven. They were running around the table, under the table, and crawling on the floor while mom, dad, and grandparents sat there drinking their wine and eating their dinner. The parents and grandparents didn't give a rat's behind who was being disrupted.

OMG! The crawling on the floor during dinner, or wandering around the table, etc. THAT is my biggest pet peeve!! I always taught my son that if we can see his bottom during dinner, that means we can spank it. He needed to sit on his butt during meals so that we couldn't see it.

One family learned the hard way that letting the child walk around in a restaurant can be tragic....(doesn't apply to a cruise ship, though)

LINK :(

We were on the Norwegian Pearl last week with very few kids. Now the adults were really, really annoying. More annoying than the kids. There was a man with one of the push walkers fighting with another table because they sat at the handicap table and claimed to be handicapped. Both were probably in their 70s yelling at each other. There were no tables available. He sat at another table. Actually half of the ship was probably disabled in some way. When the lady got up to leave, she told him he could move to that table. He starts making faces at her. They were old people acting like children. Instead he sat at the table he was at and told 3 different families who were going to set at the handicap table that it was for handicap people and they could not set there. The last family suggested he move to the handicap table so they could have a place to set. He finally got up and moved.

Another time there was a little old lady who scootered on the elevator on deck 8. She pressed number 8, the elevator opens, then closes. She pressed 8 again. The door opens again. Someone asks her where she is going and she says down. The elevator is going up. So I get off on my floor, go to my room. 20 minutes later, she is back on deck 8 playing with the elevators still.

<<SNIP>> I am clueless as to why any parent thinks it is ever okay to let their children run up and down the hallways on a cruise ship. <<END SNIP>>

I'll admit to not having read all 180+ posts in this thread but what I have seen would appear to have wandered off the topic and become a typical CC "judgy-von-hollier-than-thou" sling-fest. I also assume the OP really wasn't asking the headline question but using a question to form a rant.

As a parent of two kids (now 4 and 6) who have cruised extensively since they have been allowed by cruise line rules I will, however, answer the question as if it was being posed for discussion an not as an invitation to bash.

I willingly and happily let my urchins run down cruise ship stateroom corridors under certain circumstances and with clear instructions (which they follow). My answer and reasoning should not be extrapolated to cover why anyone else may or may not let kids run in cruise ship corridors either supervised or unsupervised.

My kids are on vacation too and like to have fun. Put a long, unobstructed stretch of space in front of almost any kid and their urge will be to take off down it. On top of that under certain circumstances there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 1) We are always with them. 2) They are not to yell or scream or otherwise be loud. 3) They are small enough that their footfalls don't make much noise - we have tested this by having them run past our room while we are inside and by standing in the hall the deck below while they run - as they get bigger we will likely stop letting them do this, right around the time they'll likely want to stop doing it is my guess. 4) They know to immediately stop when anyone else is in the corridor or enters the corridor. 5) It is not allowed when the ship is at sea in rough waters. In short - for our family - if is a fun and controlled routine.

Thanks for the opportunity to add to the discussion by adding my perspective in answering the actual question, whether I was actually meant to or not.

For what it's worth I routinely hear the footfalls and voices of adults walking by my stateroom and I routinely hear the sounds of blaring televisions coming from inside staterooms while I'm in the corridors and my stateroom. I also routinely find groups of people of all ages sitting on stairs in stairwells, I routinely watch as adults cut in front of me and my kids in buffet and other queues and I routinely have to walk through public spaces trying to explain to my children why grown adults are swearing and staggering around drunk. I guess next time I should just start a whinge-thread indicating that I'm clueless as to why people think this is acceptable.

I'll admit to not having read all 180+ posts in this thread but what I have seen would appear to have wandered off the topic and become a typical CC "judgy-von-hollier-than-thou" sling-fest. I also assume the OP really wasn't asking the headline question but using a question to form a rant.

As a parent of two kids (now 4 and 6) who have cruised extensively since they have been allowed by cruise line rules I will, however, answer the question as if it was being posed for discussion an not as an invitation to bash.

I willingly and happily let my urchins run down cruise ship stateroom corridors under certain circumstances and with clear instructions (which they follow). My answer and reasoning should not be extrapolated to cover why anyone else may or may not let kids run in cruise ship corridors either supervised or unsupervised.

My kids are on vacation too and like to have fun. Put a long, unobstructed stretch of space in front of almost any kid and their urge will be to take off down it. On top of that under certain circumstances there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 1) We are always with them. 2) They are not to yell or scream or otherwise be loud. 3) They are small enough that their footfalls don't make much noise - we have tested this by having them run past our room while we are inside and by standing in the hall the deck below while they run - as they get bigger we will likely stop letting them do this, right around the time they'll likely want to stop doing it is my guess. 4) They know to immediately stop when anyone else is in the corridor or enters the corridor. 5) It is not allowed when the ship is at sea in rough waters. In short - for our family - if is a fun and controlled routine.

Thanks for the opportunity to add to the discussion by adding my perspective in answering the actual question, whether I was actually meant to or not.

For what it's worth I routinely hear the footfalls and voices of adults walking by my stateroom and I routinely hear the sounds of blaring televisions coming from inside staterooms while I'm in the corridors and my stateroom. I also routinely find groups of people of all ages sitting on stairs in stairwells, I routinely watch as adults cut in front of me and my kids in buffet and other queues and I routinely have to walk through public spaces trying to explain to my children why grown adults are swearing and staggering around drunk. I guess next time I should just start a whinge-thread indicating that I'm clueless as to why people think this is acceptable.

If you had read my post I live in a high rise with corridors. People do not all work 9/5. Short version. It is a matter of respect.

So, you give your children permission to run in the hall? Bless your heart. You really could choose corridors with public spaces and not staterooms then, right? You just choose not to. Unhappy face.

My kids are on vacation too and like to have fun. Put a long, unobstructed stretch of space in front of almost any kid and their urge will be to take off down it. On top of that under certain circumstances there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Kids DO love to run. So why not take them to a beautiful state park or sandy beach on vacation and let them run in the fresh air until they are exhausted? Or perhaps teach them that "instant gratification" at the expense of others isn't really fair or appropriate - and that once in port they WILL have an open beach to run on?

Oh, I am going to assume that if while one of your "urchins" was running and was accidentally hit by a door opening into the hallway or something falling off a service cart that you would accept full responsibility since you think this is acceptable behavior.

To sum up: "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever the heck I want." Just another version of the same theme.

If you had read my post I live in a high rise with corridors. People do not all work 9/5. Short version. It is a matter of respect.

So, you give your children permission to run in the hall? Bless your heart. You really could choose corridors with public spaces and not staterooms then, right? You just choose not to. Unhappy face.

I was actually responding to the OP not any of your posts. In the near decade I've been coming to CC I've always found your posts to be logical and helpful and I mostly find myself agreeing with you so, respectfully:

1) thanks for the Texas Blessing ;) I lived in the south just long enough to get your real meaning

2) I don't believe I've ever cruised in your high rise condo so the fact that I let my kids run to our stateroom on a cruise ship in a controlled way shouldn't disturb those in your building (nor are they loud enough to disturb people on the ship as I have tested with them)

Kids DO love to run. So why not take them to a beautiful state park or sandy beach on vacation and let them run in the fresh air until they are exhausted? Or perhaps teach them that "instant gratification" at the expense of others isn't really fair or appropriate - and that once in port they WILL have an open beach to run on?

Oh, I am going to assume that if while one of your "urchins" was running and was accidentally hit by a door opening into the hallway or something falling off a service cart that you would accept full responsibility since you think this is acceptable behavior.

Doors on cruise ships open in to the rooms or out into entry vestibules and neither walking nor running has anything to do with if service carts are securely loaded.

I must admit I don't remember ever being disturbed by young children running in corridors (I don't have children). I have been disturbed plenty of times by drunk adults screaming, shouting arguing in the corridors. The worst time and most frightening was someone drunk kicking and banging on our door demanding to be let in (they thought it was their room). Called reception and security came and took them away. I don't know what happened to them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Doors on cruise ships open in to the rooms or out into entry vestibules and neither walking nor running has anything to do with if service carts are securely loaded.

Actually on some ships, the doors open out to the hallway. On my last Celebrity cruise, the doors opened out.

To sum up: "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever the heck I want." Just another version of the same theme.

I agree Kathy.

I've said, I'm not particularly bothered by kids running up and down the hallway (unless they are bumping into me or someone else, which happens often), but anyone that says they can't hear the loud footsteps of a 4 and 6 year old in the cabins as they run down the hall past them, I'm really sorry but they need to have their hearing checked.

...I'm really sorry but they need to have their hearing checked.
Selective hearing.

Drunks in the hallway? They can hear that annoying sound.

Teens blocking the stairs? They can see that dangerous sight.

Their kids running in the hallway? They can neither see nor hear that annoying and dangerous act...:rolleyes:

I must admit I don't remember ever being disturbed by young children running in corridors (I don't have children). I have been disturbed plenty of times by drunk adults screaming, shouting arguing in the corridors. The worst time and most frightening was someone drunk kicking and banging on our door demanding to be let in (they thought it was their room). Called reception and security came and took them away. I don't know what happened to them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Although, as mentioned earlier, we do try to choose cruises where there will be fewer children, I agree that obnoxious drunk adults of any age are far more irritating than most children.

Fortunately, as we do find the times and itineraries that we choose to have an older demographic, MOST of the drinkers seem to simply get sleepy. :D