Why do you think it is ok to let your children run down hallways?

gizfish

I agree Kathy.

I've said, I'm not particularly bothered by kids running up and down the hallway (unless they are bumping into me or someone else, which happens often), but anyone that says they can't hear the loud footsteps of a 4 and 6 year old in the cabins as they run down the hall past them, I'm really sorry but they need to have their hearing checked.

I had the exact same thought.

Especially when they say they CAN hear adult footfalls, when the adults are simply walking past....

I was actually responding to the OP not any of your posts. In the near decade I've been coming to CC I've always found your posts to be logical and helpful and I mostly find myself agreeing with you so, respectfully:

1) thanks for the Texas Blessing ;) I lived in the south just long enough to get your real meaning

2) I don't believe I've ever cruised in your high rise condo so the fact that I let my kids run to our stateroom on a cruise ship in a controlled way shouldn't disturb those in your building (nor are they loud enough to disturb people on the ship as I have tested with them)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your reply and I really am glad we have been in sync in other matters. But I guess the law of averages found us with differing opinions this time. And really, that's ok.

I was just giving you the short version of what I posted earlier as to not be redundant in the case of anyone else who did read the entire thread.

I only mentioned my living in a high rise as a reference point that I live with this every day. Luckily most of my neighbors are respectful that the hallway is a shared space and most whisper and certainly do not run. The occasional guest might and from my experience what happens in the hallway, even in my sturdy old almost 60 year old building, definately impacts the person behind closed doors. Many people cruise for r and r and lounge in their staterooms. People on vacation might be napping. For some, perhaps you, living in such, if even for a week, might not be something even considered.

I was trying to be funny/cute with my blessing. So if I offended you I apologize.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one and be on the same side of the fence again soon.

I'll admit to not having read all 180+ posts in this thread but what I have seen would appear to have wandered off the topic and become a typical CC "judgy-von-hollier-than-thou" sling-fest. I also assume the OP really wasn't asking the headline question but using a question to form a rant.

As a parent of two kids (now 4 and 6) who have cruised extensively since they have been allowed by cruise line rules I will, however, answer the question as if it was being posed for discussion an not as an invitation to bash.

I willingly and happily let my urchins run down cruise ship stateroom corridors under certain circumstances and with clear instructions (which they follow). My answer and reasoning should not be extrapolated to cover why anyone else may or may not let kids run in cruise ship corridors either supervised or unsupervised.

My kids are on vacation too and like to have fun. Put a long, unobstructed stretch of space in front of almost any kid and their urge will be to take off down it. On top of that under certain circumstances there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 1) We are always with them. 2) They are not to yell or scream or otherwise be loud. 3) They are small enough that their footfalls don't make much noise - we have tested this by having them run past our room while we are inside and by standing in the hall the deck below while they run - as they get bigger we will likely stop letting them do this, right around the time they'll likely want to stop doing it is my guess. 4) They know to immediately stop when anyone else is in the corridor or enters the corridor. 5) It is not allowed when the ship is at sea in rough waters. In short - for our family - if is a fun and controlled routine.

Thanks for the opportunity to add to the discussion by adding my perspective in answering the actual question, whether I was actually meant to or not.

For what it's worth I routinely hear the footfalls and voices of adults walking by my stateroom and I routinely hear the sounds of blaring televisions coming from inside staterooms while I'm in the corridors and my stateroom. I also routinely find groups of people of all ages sitting on stairs in stairwells, I routinely watch as adults cut in front of me and my kids in buffet and other queues and I routinely have to walk through public spaces trying to explain to my children why grown adults are swearing and staggering around drunk. I guess next time I should just start a whinge-thread indicating that I'm clueless as to why people think this is acceptable.

Gotta say, "judgy-von-holier-than-thou sling fest made me giggle.

If I have to choose between loud, rude, snippy, obnoxious adults or supervised-while-running-in-hallways kids, I'm going to go with the little kids. To be honest, I remember what it was like to have a small child with boundless energy, and I think your effort with your kids sounds reasonable.

And no matter what any of us does, someone, somewhere is going to be annoyed by it. Too preachy, too drunk, too loud, too bold, too serious, too jokey, too talkative, too quiet, etc.

I live in a building, and from the elevator to my apartment door there is a corridor. My neighbor has a 4 year old girl. And every time she tries to run or sing aloud while in the corridor I can hear her mom saying to don't do this because it disturbs the others.

What's the difference between my building corridor and a cruise staterooms corridor? Oh, but we are in vacation, who cares if anyone is sleeping, or relaxing?

This post is not about drunken people, motorized fat people, handicapped, etc.

I have a 15 year old son, and sometimes when we are waiting for the elevator and he starts to rise his voice I immediately remind him about it, it's not a place for this kind of behavior.

Remember parents, the fault it's not in your kids! If you don't say anything they will keep on thinking it's OK, always.

I will be bringing three kids on a cruise this summer. They are between 9 and 11, and old enough that they may occasionally be without a parent (going to the stateroom to fetch something, going to the kids club, etc). If you see them running wildly in the halls, or otherwise behaving badly - please, by all means, ask them to stop. Better yet, politely let me know the next time you see me with them. There will be consequences. No matter how well we parents teach them, kids do sometimes misbehave. Some kids are easier to teach than others.

However, if you see them laughing or dancing or splashing in the (family) pool - try to remember they are happy kids on vacation. [emoji4]

I may get flamed for this, especially since I can't imagine that the parents who allow this don't have a clue at how intrusive and annoying it is. But, just in case parents really have no idea, I am putting this out there. I am clueless as to why any parent thinks it is ever okay to let their children run up and down the hallways on a cruise ship. I know they are kids, and we should let them be kids...But, isn't it more important we teach them to be humans first? It is just not appropriate or considerate at any time of day to be running down a hallway outside of other people's cabins. Do you not realize how loud and annoying the constant thumping of feet running past someone's cabin door must be. And, it doesn't matter what time of day either. If someone is trying to relax in their cabin in the middle of the day or early evening, that is their right, and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to be running around in the hallways ever.

If you are speaking of while on Cunard, I agree. Otherwise, chill out. They are on vacation having a good time. You on the otherhand can always cruise when the children are in school.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had the exact same thought.

Especially when they say they CAN hear adult footfalls, when the adults are simply walking past....

I must need my hearing checked as I've never been bothered by anyone's footsteps in the hall. It frankly baffles me that this is an issue for anybody. On the Freedom of the Seas last month a cabin across the hall flooded. They had to put big blower heaters in the hall. In the hall they sounded like jet engines. In our cabin the sound was practically nothing. I remember saying to my wife this sound proofing is amazing. Footsteps by comparison would be less than nothing. My opinion is if footsteps get you upset then pick a different kind of vacation where you are not cooped up with a couple thousand others in close proximity.

Crown Princess 2007

Emerald Princess 2008

RCCL Navigator of the Seas 2010

Ruby Princess 2012

NCL Jewel 2013

NCL Jewel 2016

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2017

Emerald Princess 2017

Gotta say, "judgy-von-holier-than-thou sling fest made me giggle.

If I have to choose between loud, rude, snippy, obnoxious adults or supervised-while-running-in-hallways kids, I'm going to go with the little kids. To be honest, I remember what it was like to have a small child with boundless energy, and I think your effort with your kids sounds reasonable.

And no matter what any of us does, someone, somewhere is going to be annoyed by it. Too preachy, too drunk, too loud, too bold, too serious, too jokey, too talkative, too quiet, etc.

I have to agree - really well structured and considered responses. I always find it strange that people (usually older "seasoned" cruisers) complain about children, especially as they have the opportunity to book "adult only" ships and itineraries? I have a 9 and 14 yr old, and we will be enjoying our 9th cruise this year, and I have only ever witnessed bad behaviour from those that should know better, but think that their tickets are superior to those of children who in most cases have paid as much for theirs...

I always find it strange that people (usually older "seasoned" cruisers) complain about children, especially as they have the opportunity to book "adult only" ships and itineraries?

What I find strange is that people seem to assume that folks who are hoping for courteous behavior from fellow travelers & their children are "older" and don't have young children themselves.

It's as if courtesy is so outdated or old-fashioned that anyone expecting it must be an old geezer or someone whose kids are grown. Not the case here clear.png?emoji-wink-1685.

Guess I should thank my parents for teaching me their old, antiquated ideas about society and manners. LOL

What I find strange is that people seem to assume that folks who are hoping for courteous behavior from fellow travelers & their children are "older" and don't have young children themselves.

It's as if courtesy is so outdated or old-fashioned that anyone expecting it must be an old geezer or someone whose kids are grown. Not the case here clear.png?emoji-wink-1685.

Guess I should thank my parents for teaching me their old, antiquated ideas about society and manners. LOL

Seriously, older people do a lot of annoying things too.

Not sure what point you are trying to make? So, if older people do annoying things, it's ok for children to run in cruise ship hallways?

What I am saying is that children on vacation are going to get loud during the day. They have a lot of energy. We all do things that upsets others. Most are nothing to get worked up over. For example, running down the hall and disturbing you, is not a big deal. If it is to you, choose a room at the end of the hall or go on a trip when there will be less children vacationing. But to answer your question, no it is not ok. But in a ship with hundreds of children it should be expected to happen.

I I always find it strange that people (usually older "seasoned" cruisers) complain about children....
I have to agree and I find it also stranged that younger cruisers with "well behaved" children compalin about older "seasoned" cruisers. I guess it goes both ways.

...the point I am trying to get across is that I have witnessed far worse behaviour and rudeness from older passengers...

...but also agree that parents have to take responsibility for the behaviour of their children, but worse things happen at sea than a quick race down the corridor...

...the point I am trying to get across is that I have witnessed far worse behaviour and rudeness from older passengers...

...but also agree that parents have to take responsibility for the behaviour of their children, but worse things happen at sea than a quick race down the corridor...

So, because worse things happen at sea,that makes it okay to race down the hallways? I personally think that everyone should be considerate of other passengers, no matter if they are a child or a senior and that two wrongs don't make a right, but then that was the way I was taught from a young age.

I am very sorry, but I cannot help and wonder as to whether it is the noise some pax have an issue with or whether it is the fact that the noise is caused by kids that is the actual problem? I fear it is the latter.... If you have a problem with noises onboard, then cruising might not be the right thing for you. If you gather 2000, 4000 or 6000 people in one place, there is bound to be some noise.... And to be honest, I find the noise of running children's feet to be the absolute least of all evil. If the actual issue is that it is kids who are causing some noise, then we should remember that those kids are on vacation just as much as we are.

I must admit I have grown to hate the "I-we-they are on vacation" phrase to excuse thoughtlessness. (we actually were given this excuse by NCL crew once, when we complained about people 'staking claim' to deck chairs with towels and then not showing up for 4+ hours. For real, the crew member told us, "Well, they're on vacation, we don't want to upset them." Hello? Do we look like we work here? We're on vacation, too! *LOL*)

Everyone on the ship is on vacation (except for the cruiseline employees, of course).

A bit of noise at night isn't going to ruin my cruise, but it doesn't make it less thoughtless. It isn't so difficult to remember that the corridors along the staterooms are nothing more than hallways outside of peoples' bedrooms. As our sons teachers used to say, "Use your inside voices." This goes for human beings of all ages (as we have witnessed adults being just as noisy).

The sound of children's running feet in the corridor is not the same sweet sound as children laughing on the water slide or playing in the family pool with their parents. Now THAT'S the sweetest sound!

I am very sorry, but I cannot help and wonder as to whether it is the noise some pax have an issue with or whether it is the fact that the noise is caused by kids that is the actual problem? I fear it is the latter.... If you have a problem with noises onboard, then cruising might not be the right thing for you. If you gather 2000, 4000 or 6000 people in one place, there is bound to be some noise.... And to be honest, I find the noise of running children's feet to be the absolute least of all evil. If the actual issue is that it is kids who are causing some noise, then we should remember that those kids are on vacation just as much as we are.
I would think then that you feel that those that complain about older folks, just don't like old people.

I think if you asked, anyone who has complained about the running down the hall noise, they would say it goes for adults as well. I think it just boils down to consideration. As I've said, it doesn't bother me, but being that I can hear it, I can see how it would bother others.

This doesnt really apply but its funny. I used to work for an attorney whose elderly father liked to say people are no damn good but what else is there? I like to pass that on in similar circumstances because most can relate..and it lightens things up![emoji3]

This doesnt really apply but its funny. I used to work for an attorney whose elderly father liked to say people are no damn good but what else is there? I like to pass that on in similar circumstances because most can relate..and it lightens things up![emoji3]

Ha ha ha ha!!! We harken back to the Peanuts gang...I think it was Lucy that said:

I love mankind. It's people I can't stand!

I have 3 kids and it's just not the noise. Allowing your kids to run down hallways is just obnoxious. It causes noise, they can run into people and really kids just shouldn't run down hallways. I don't allow my kids to run in the house (that's why they go outside to play) so I wouldn't let them run somewhere like a cruise ship or hotel. I don't care if we're on vacation there are still basic manners they need to have.

When I see kids running down the hall, I get annoyed, I tell them to stop and that it's not appropriate behaviour. If I get attitude from their parents I just tell them that if your not going to teach your children basic manners and respect for others around them then I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I must admit I have grown to hate the "I-we-they are on vacation" phrase to excuse thoughtlessness. (we actually were given this excuse by NCL crew once, when we complained about people 'staking claim' to deck chairs with towels and then not showing up for 4+ hours. For real, the crew member told us, "Well, they're on vacation, we don't want to upset them." Hello? Do we look like we work here? We're on vacation, too! *LOL*)

Everyone on the ship is on vacation (except for the cruiseline employees, of course).

A bit of noise at night isn't going to ruin my cruise, but it doesn't make it less thoughtless. It isn't so difficult to remember that the corridors along the staterooms are nothing more than hallways outside of peoples' bedrooms. As our sons teachers used to say, "Use your inside voices." This goes for human beings of all ages (as we have witnessed adults being just as noisy).

The sound of children's running feet in the corridor is not the same sweet sound as children laughing on the water slide or playing in the family pool with their parents. Now THAT'S the sweetest sound!

This is so true. Sadly it seems that many people fail to teach kids just basic manners and respect for others. This kids will be kids attitude has gotten out of control. There are so many places the kids can be silly, laugh and play. It's not hard to teach them that there are also places where they need to keep it down out of consideration for others.

And I think the kids who were never taught this basic skill are now becoming obnoxious adults who think it's ok to walk or run down a hallways making all kinds of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, 230+ posts in and, IMHO, this thread shows one thing:

--You can't simply blame the kids. Some kids are better behaved and more considerate than others.

--You can't simply blame the parents. Some people just don't have the parenting skills that other people have. (Whether they choose not to parent, or simply don't have the capacity is a topic for another forum.)

--What stands out here is a troubling number of people who simply wish to condone, excuse away, or justify the poor behavior of others. :o:( "Its not their fault", "They're on vacation too"...:rolleyes:

It gets to the point where you don't know what is worse: the lack of personal responsibility or the unwillingness to even hold people to some level of personal responsibility.

I would think then that you feel that those that complain about older folks, just don't like old people.

I think if you asked, anyone who has complained about the running down the hall noise, they would say it goes for adults as well. I think it just boils down to consideration. As I've said, it doesn't bother me, but being that I can hear it, I can see how it would bother others.

I would not worry about people that complain about old people, if they are lucky sooner or later they will be one as well. If they are not lucky they wont make it that far.

I would not worry about people that complain about old people, if they are lucky sooner or later they will be one as well. If they are not lucky they wont make it that far.
Never worried, but I always find it amazing if someone has an issue with childrens' behavior, someone brings up that they dislike children or that adults' behavior is worse, when it has nothing to do with the behavior of children.