What does the cruise 'fare' include ?

p598738

I am in the middle of a conversation with Oceania about a

cruise 'fare'. They are trying to convince me that the 'fare' does not include port charges. How could this be ? Are they so generous as to pay them above and beyond the 'fare'.

Very odd. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Are you referring to O-life or just the fare? If O-life, which is what we have always booked, it includes all non-alcoholic beverages, specialty coffees, specialty restaurants, wifi (one account per cabin), round trip airfare and then choice of a beverage package, OBC or shore excursions. Port fees and taxes have always been included in that fare.

Oceania is not like some of the gimmicky river cruise companies such as Viking that gives you a list price fare, then tacks on "port charges". The posted fare is the fare. However, they do tack on their own list of non inclusive items.

I am in the middle of a conversation with Oceania about a

cruise 'fare'. They are trying to convince me that the 'fare' does not include port charges. How could this be ? Are they so generous as to pay them above and beyond the 'fare'.

Very odd. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Be very careful of that Cruise Only Fare, as it is bare bare bones.

Even the in cabin internet is excluded from it.

Cruise only fare does not include port fees per the last brochure I received with that fare listed. My TA also advised against going cruise only for the same reason J&S listed above, unless you book a Concierge level cabin or above, those will have a perk of minutes included in their category upgrades. You may also wish to discuss with a good TA, depending on what you are trying to accomplish (refund, single supplement, determine fees...etc).

Cruise only fare does not include port fees per the last brochure I received with that fare listed.

Looking the sale flyer it does say as I posted above but no mention of fees & taxes just to see T & C ( I would have to get my magnifying glass out to read those )

;)

very confusing

Reading today's daily (only a slight exaggeration..it's nice to know the postal service will be delivering something to me every day :rolleyes:) sale brochure from Oceania the Terms and Conditions clearly says "All fares include government taxes and fees". I can't recall receiving a brochure from Oceania that said otherwise, and as already stated Oceania's website also says all taxes and fees are included.

Reading today's daily (only a slight exaggeration..it's nice to know the postal service will be delivering something to me every day :rolleyes:) sale brochure from Oceania the Terms and Conditions clearly says "All fares include government taxes and fees". I can't recall receiving a brochure from Oceania that said otherwise, and as already stated Oceania's website also says all taxes and fees are included.

The OP is asking about port charges.

Are port charges part of the "government taxes and fees" or are they separate?

I am thinking that they are part of the government fees and taxes.

PS I am thinking that Oceania does not list port charges separately as they are not refunded when a port is missed (unlike some other cruise lines).

Thus they must be included in the fare?

The fare posted in the brochure or online is what you pay

WYSIWYG

Never seen any fees or taxes added to the rates shown unless the new "cruise only" option is different ???

This is what has changed:

* in addition: Cruise-Only Fares do not include OLife Choice amenities or airfare.

* OLife Choice amenities are per stateroom, based on double occupancy and subject to change

OLife Choice*, enjoy FREE Unlimited Internet PLUS select one from a choice of generous amenities: FREE Shore Excursions, FREE House Beverage Package or a Shipboard Credit.

Here's the rest of the story:

My wife and I had planned an Oceania cruise for February.

At the last moment she could not go. I did go.

My TA suggested that my wife's 'fare' was forfeit and that's OK. The TA further suggested that the taxes and fees would be refunded as Oceania was not going to pay them. This has degenerated into a debate with Oceania as to what is actually in the 'fare'. O customer service argues that the taxes and fees are not included in the 'fare' and they will not be refunded. Huh ???

It's not an awful lot of money but it sure would pay for a couple of days on our next Oceania cruise.

Thoughts ? Opinions ? Suggestions ? Thanks.

Here's the rest of the story:

My wife and I had planned an Oceania cruise for February.

At the last moment she could not go. I did go.

My TA suggested that my wife's 'fare' was forfeit and that's OK. The TA further suggested that the taxes and fees would be refunded as Oceania was not going to pay them. This has degenerated into a debate with Oceania as to what is actually in the 'fare'. O customer service argues that the taxes and fees are not included in the 'fare' and they will not be refunded. Huh ???

It's not an awful lot of money but it sure would pay for a couple of days on our next Oceania cruise.

Thoughts ? Opinions ? Suggestions ? Thanks.

My experience was we cancelled the day before & we got the taxes refunded (not enough for a few days on Oceania)

second time we had to return home during the cruise ..no refund

Now we both cancelled so not sure how it works when only one cancels ...

In any event the refund was not a lot

Could be regional pricing differences/rules since we have no idea what Country you booked in