Fantasy propulsion issues

angiem0217

I was on the Glory two weeks after they had missed two ports. They almost had a riot onboard with folks not understanding missed ports. But I did learn something new because of it. Nationwide offers a port guarantee with their travel insurance. If they announce a port will be missed before you sail, you get back $500-$750pp depending on the policy you get. If announced after you sail, you get back $100-200pp depending on the policy.

Since we were doing a B2B, I was able to insure the two weeks for $144. And we ending up missing Grand Cayman. I had the Universal policy which paid $100pp. In the future, I will get the Choice policy.

So to the point at hand, if folks would have had the Choice policy for this sailing, they would have gotten back $750pp. (plus all that the cruiseline is offering).

Dave

I believe you have to have the luxury cruise policy to get the missed port coverage after you sail. We had this policy on a DCL cruise we took in January. We missed Key West due to a late departure because of fog and each received $250 (total policy cost for 2 of us was $220 because we added the cancel for any reason rider). I was very happy with the claim process, was very fast and they were very responsive when I contacted them.

It has great medical coverages as well as what I consider a very reasonable premium. We will continue to get this policy on all our trips.

The only stop was Coz. Now it sounds like they'll be going to Key West instead.

While the general thought is all cruises must stop at a foreign port, I don't believe it's true.

The PVSA (which would cover this sort of thing) only specifies that a cruise that begins and ends in two different US ports must stop at a distant foreign port. There's no specifics as to a closed loop cruise that begins and ends in the same US port. I believe, legally, it's OK if there's no foreign port stop on those.

But, most people assume that means any cruise NOT an open jaw cruise must stop at a near foreign port, but the PVSA doesn't say that.

While the general thought is all cruises must stop at a foreign port, I don't believe it's true.

The PVSA (which would cover this sort of thing) only specifies that a cruise that begins and ends in two different US ports must stop at a distant foreign port. There's no specifics as to a closed loop cruise that begins and ends in the same US port. I believe, legally, it's OK if there's no foreign port stop on those.

But, most people assume that means any cruise NOT an open jaw cruise must stop at a near foreign port, but the PVSA doesn't say that.

No, the PVSA requires foreign flag ships on closed loop cruises to call at any foreign port, as this makes the voyage a "foreign voyage" in CBP vernacular. A cruise that only includes US ports, even if it returns to the same port it left from, is considered a "coastwise voyage", which is restricted to US flag vessels. By going to Key West, the cruise line gets around the "cruise to nowhere" visa problem, and then must only request a PVSA waiver for missing a foreign port. They will get the waiver based on the mechanical problems that shortened the cruise to the point where no foreign port was capable of being reached in the time of the cruise.

The requirement for a foreign port call on a closed loop cruise is why the cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii, that are closed loop, will have a call in Ensenada.

No, the PVSA requires foreign flag ships on closed loop cruises to call at any foreign port, as this makes the voyage a "foreign voyage" in CBP vernacular. A cruise that only includes US ports, even if it returns to the same port it left from, is considered a "coastwise voyage", which is restricted to US flag vessels. By going to Key West, the cruise line gets around the "cruise to nowhere" visa problem, and then must only request a PVSA waiver for missing a foreign port. They will get the waiver based on the mechanical problems that shortened the cruise to the point where no foreign port was capable of being reached in the time of the cruise.

The requirement for a foreign port call on a closed loop cruise is why the cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii, that are closed loop, will have a call in Ensenada.

OK, thanks. I couldn't find any specific info in the PVSA that said that a closed loop cruise must stop at a foreign port. Only the stuff about transporting passengers from one port to a different port. Apparently I missed it, I'll re-read it.

EDIT: OK, found it (yes, I just missed it in the past):

There are three common transportation violations, set forth below, that can occur whena non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports passengers between U.S. coastwise ports.

Second, a non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports a passenger on a voyage solely toone or more coastwise ports and the passenger disembarks or goes ashore temporarilyat a coastwise port. (19 CFR § 4.80a(b)(1)). For example, a non-coastwise-qualifiedvessel that embarks a passenger in Los Angeles and transports him/her to one or moreof the Hawaiian Islands where he/she goes ashore temporarily and returns to LosAngeles where he/she disembarks, violates the PVSA.

So, boarding in Mobile, going to Key West, and returning to Mobile is a violation (without a foreign port stop).

Edited by Shmoo here

Wanted to give everyone an update. They announced yesterday that the propulsion issues have been fixed and we were granted the rights to port in key west. I had been to Cozumel 7 times and have never been to key west. so I was extremely happy about that announcement. We just got back on the ship after a great day in key west. All the passengers are happy, the crew has been great, the cruise director is awesome, we get 50% off this cruise and a credit of the same value on a future cruise. We also got a $50 pp on board credit. It has been a great cruise and I fell like I hit the jackpot. The issues are fixed so we will be back in mobile on Monday and the next cruise will sail with no problems. Carnival really stepped up in trying to make everyone happy. I would have been ok with the cruise to nowhere so key west was just an added bonus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wanted to give everyone an update. They announced yesterday that the propulsion issues have been fixed and we were granted the rights to port in key west. I had been to Cozumel 7 times and have never been to key west. so I was extremely happy about that announcement. We just got back on the ship after a great day in key west. All the passengers are happy, the crew has been great, the cruise director is awesome, we get 50% off this cruise and a credit of the same value on a future cruise. We also got a $50 pp on board credit. It has been a great cruise and I fell like I hit the jackpot. The issues are fixed so we will be back in mobile on Monday and the next cruise will sail with no problems. Carnival really stepped up in trying to make everyone happy. I would have been ok with the cruise to nowhere so key west was just an added bonus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Awesome!!