Booking 10 for dinner - 5;30 or 8:30 only. Changeable? Anyone experience this?

Cinderellie

We have a family of 10 going on the Gem in May. Our only rule is that we all eat together for dinner. No specialty dining... in the Main Dining Room only.

We went online and called NCL to get a 6:30 reservation for 6 of the nights, but it only gives us choices of 5:30 or 8:30 PM. At that it says they may not be able to seat us all together.

Has anyone had any experience getting a later time with a big group? Did you try to arrange it at the Dining Reservations Desk or with the Maitre'd? Successful?

Thanks for whatever you can share.

We have sailed in a group of 12 four times and have never made advanced reservations for the MDRs. We just show up at the podium each night. Occasionally we split into six and six for breakfast and lunch, but usually for dinner they could work us in. I think they moved us to the other restaurant (same menu) to speed up our wait once but that was fine. A few times we made a reservation when we were celebrating a birthday and they are more than happy to do that on board. Admittedly it was a little easier on different ships due to the availability of larger tables vs other ships, but I wouldn't stress about it. Come to think of it, on one sailing all the reservations we made online never transferred to the ship despite my sister making at least five of the beforehand. I think you will be fine to do them on board. Worse case pick the 5:30 (which I think we did and the restaurants didn't even open until 6) and adjust them on board. Then you can say you tried (but they still might not show up on board).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL's ability to make reservations online is usually limited. When we made our specialty reservations it could only be made for even numbers (we had 3 and only option was 4) and only time options were 7 and 9. Generally reservations aren't needed for the MDR but with such a large group you may want to call or make them onboard the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums