Nice Auckland hotel near cruise terminal?

We will be exiting our HAL cruise on a Sunday am in February next year and given the travel vagaries will need a one night hotel stay before starting our return home. My thought was to plant our luggage at a convenient but nice hotel and try to do an island tour to Waiheke or Tiritri Matangi island. Does anyone have a recommendation for that? We will have an early am flight the next day to Sydney if that makes a difference. Thanks.

We will be exiting our HAL cruise on a Sunday am in February next year and given the travel vagaries will need a one night hotel stay before starting our return home. My thought was to plant our luggage at a convenient but nice hotel and try to do an island tour to Waiheke or Tiritri Matangi island. Does anyone have a recommendation for that? We will have an early am flight the next day to Sydney if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Rydges is handy and not bad.

If it's White Bay, I'd pick somewhere central to the city and either get a taxi or the ferry to White Bay. (Not much at White Bay).

We have a soft spot for The Grace, (York Street in the city) or The Old Holiday Inn the Rocks.

For longer stays Meriton Appartments are hard to beat with a laundry and kitchenette to make life a little better.

The other one at Auckland is the Mercure, (couldn't think of the name a minute ago).

I second RYDGES close by in heart of City . Good in house restaurant .

If you want to stay at AKL Airport then Auckland Airport Novotel is right at International terminal, and offers excellent advance purchase on line deals .via their website .

try to do an island tour to Waiheke or Tiritri Matangi island. .

Have you Googled these islands as they are miles different in maybe what you want to do for the day on the island?

https://www.fullers.co.nz/destinations/tiritiri-matangi-island/?gclid=CMmd3cirp9MCFYIsvQod6BgL0g

https://www.waiheke.co.nz/

Edited by Thecat123

The Stamford Plaza in Auckland is good and handy for the wharf.

The Amora Hotel in Sydney is good and fairly handy for where a tourist will go in and around the CBD. The Travelodge was not a Hotel I enjoyed staying at; personal I'd not stay there again. The only issue with the Amora is that the food is not fantastic but frankly there are so many restaurants nearby that this doesn't matter.

The Shangri-La is my favourite Sydney hotel and the buffet breakfast is the best I've had anywhere.

The Intercontinental in Sydney is good too and so is their food.

The Amora Hotel in Sydney is good and fairly handy for where a tourist will go in and around the CBD. The Travelodge was not a Hotel I enjoyed staying at; personal I'd not stay there again. The only issue with the Amora is that the food is not fantastic but frankly there are so many restaurants nearby that this doesn't matter.

The Shangri-La is my favourite Sydney hotel and the buffet breakfast is the best I've had anywhere.

I included Travelodge because it's a cheaper alternative.

We stayed in the tower part of the Heritage hotel and enjoyed it, it is quite near the port and the bars and restaurants. They also have a beautiful roof top swimming pool great for cooling down and relaxing after walking around.

We also took the ferry to Waiheke with hop on/off bus included and stopped at a beautiful winery for wine tasting and lunch.

Rosalyn

Have you Googled these islands as they are miles different in maybe what you want to do for the day on the island?

https://www.fullers.co.nz/destinations/tiritiri-matangi-island/?gclid=CMmd3cirp9MCFYIsvQod6BgL0g

https://www.waiheke.co.nz/

Yes, I have researched them, thanks; they are certainly different but both sound interesting; given our (to us) lengthy cruise plus Sydney precruise we fear we will be up for only one day before heading home so it will be one of these two :)

One of my favorite breakfasts was at the Shangri-La at New Delhi : just a delightful mix of food including very good Indian dishes all looked over by a very funny framed Aunt Jemima poster! Always looking for a good breakfast:p

We stayed in the tower part of the Heritage hotel and enjoyed it, it is quite near the port and the bars and restaurants. They also have a beautiful roof top swimming pool great for cooling down and relaxing after walking around.

We also took the ferry to Waiheke with hop on/off bus included and stopped at a beautiful winery for wine tasting and lunch.

Rosalyn

I've seen a few wine tours advertised which include a seemingly lovely lunch; they seem a little pricey and we are not in our drinking prime (though based on several wine tours and tastings on our last cruise I have much more capacity than most) but I'm leaning towards that to get to several attractive wineries on the Island.

Edited by sandbag7
Verbosity

The Hilton Auckland is wonderful and very convenient to the ferry and cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wonderful sounds good; I'll be checking these as soon as we confirm our flights; it just occurred to me that we likely will have an early next day flight and will miss breakfast ( and we almost always look for dinner at an independent restaurant) so our flight schedule may well dictate our hotel stay.