TA Weather in Nov

ship2

We are booked on the Prinsendam Nov.2 from Rome to FLL. Many of you have traveled that route and I am curious as to what the weather will be. Temps, rain etc. Appreciate your help.

ship 2

We did a TA from Rome (Civitavecchia) to FLL (on Celebrity) several years ago, and left Civi on Nov. 1. I can't tell you what the weather will be like on your cruise, but for the Med portion of ours, we had a mix of sunny days with some rain in a couple of the ports, and mostly comfortable temps. Once we got to the Atlantic, the sea was like glass, we had sun and simply beautiful weather. It was a wonderful cruise. Hope yours is too!

Temps will be cool, maybe you'll consider them chilly but not what I'd consider biting cold.... the ocean will still have the summer warmth. I had a rain jacket/windbreaker and a sweater to add under it for Europe in November and for the cruise. Also had a knit headband to cover my ears, and lightweight, very thin silk glove liners that I wore alone. These were enough for me for walking the promenade deck. A scarf is very useful and versatile But a lot of this depends on what you are used to. :) As you live in Florida, November on the ocean may seem colder to you than to me.

Rain can be any time but usually we have had short showers in clusters. November is the end of the hurricane season and if there are any tropical storms you will likely track well wide of them. We have had some pitching for a couple of days - have done 3 fall-season TAs, but all were very good, nothing what would be considered rough but the pitching could get tiresome. Once out of Gibraltar the sea can be more noticeable for a short time but usually the track moves southward, depends on your next port... Azores or Madeira? Prinsendam is known to cut through the seas very smoothy!

The day or two out of Florida will be noticeably warmer and you'll start shedding the layers. m--

I've done this three times, twice early through mid-November, and once later November into early December.

Each time it was warm to hot in the Med, and warm to comfortably cool in the Atlantic. The cooler temperatures were in the later cruise. The Atlantic tended to be cloudy, but mostly decent weather to be outside.

YMMV

We have done three TA's from Europe in the the past eight years. All departed Europe in early November. Two were uneventful, moderate seas, some clouds and rain, and warmer as we approached Florida. One trip, we encountered 60 foot seas between Cadiz and Funchal that necessitated a very late arrival in Funchal and no docking. The two days of high seas resulted in injuries to several passengers who were tendered off in Funchal. There is a possibility of bad weather, but impossible to predict with any accuracy until late October.

We have been on two, the past two years and both were in early November. Last year the weather was good and the seas calm because the Captain had time and took us on a more Southern route. In 2015, it was cooler and we hit a storm with 60 mph winds. They lashed the door shut to keep people from going on the Promenade deck. No one was hurt and I did not hear of people getting sick. We enjoyed both trips and would do it again. Transatlantic cruises are a bargain.

I did eastbound first week Nov, 2015, perfect weather, and returned westbound Dec. same year, also perfect. What surprised me was how mild the temperature was.

We used our balcony all but 1-2 days of the 50 day cruise. In fact we are repeating the same cruise again this fall. Love those sea days!

We did a Nov TA and had very smooth weather - this is not outdoor deck weather but a very nice passage and our ports around the Mediterranean were on the cool side. But water in Half Moon Key is at its best in late autumn before it turns cold.

However, the Nieuw Amsterdam was following us a few days later and they ran into terrible weather and even a disabling rogue wave. So you never know. At-sea in rough weather can have its own rugged charms, plus being a humbling experience when you think of all the intrepid ancient mariners who have gone before you.

I was on my first TA with Cruiser Bill and others who frequent this board. The weather was super, and I was out on my balcony every day, and wore shorts every day but one. The weather was warm enough to swim at sea, and the sea was almost like glass. I got almost as much of a tan as I would in the Caribbean. In fact, I would do the same cruise again-can't this fall due to a long South Pacific cruise, but would certainly do fall 2018-interested, Bill and Diana?

Thanks to all who responded. It really helps to know what the conditions are like. A TA is sort of a bucket list item for me, and I am really looking forward to it. We will be spending time in Italy prior to the voyage, and probably will be ready for a lot of down time. Here's hoping for fair sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've done three autumn T/A's from Rome - including 2014 on Prinsendam --- and we may be joining you on this one. There is no sure thing, but the Atlantic in early November is pretty warm from Gibraltar to Florida. You are likely to have temps from 70's to low 80's - as you near Florida.

Conclusion: be ready for anything! As you know, the weather in the world lately is unpredictable. Tornadoes in Dec. tropical rain in Feb. etc. The Prinsendam does do the Atlantic very well. Because it is a small cruise ship, one doesn't have to walk very far from one end to the other

What year were you thinking of?clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Of course, a cruise sailing on Nov. 2 in 2017, or 2018, or 2019 or even 2020 is likely to have the sort of weather which might be expected in early November of ANY year.

What possible difference does the particular year make in answering OP's question?