Question about NCL travel protection/canceling - PLEASE HELP

Hi all. I'm booked on the Breakaway tomorrow, but am suffering with some unexpected health issues.

I got TravelProtection through NCL. To get reimbursed, do I have to get a note from a physician?

I've never done this and am sort of freaking out. Any help please would be appreciated.

Yes.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption BenefitsPre-Departure Trip CancellationWe will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit,up to the amount in the Schedule if you are preventedfrom taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your,an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s,or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury or death orOther Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) beforedeparture on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sicknessor Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is ineffect under the plan; b) require the examination andtreatment by a Physician at the time the Covered CruiseVacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of thetreating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you fromtaking your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Hi all. I'm booked on the Breakaway tomorrow, but am suffering with some unexpected health issues.

I got TravelProtection through NCL. To get reimbursed, do I have to get a note from a physician?

I've never done this and am sort of freaking out. Any help please would be appreciated.

You definitely will need a note from your physician.

Be sure you read the TravelProtection contract and follow the procedure given.

I'm so sorry you'll miss your cruise.

Edited to add: I was typing as NLH Arizona was posting, so I didn't see that you'd already been answered.

Does anyone know how demanding they are re: the dr's note?

Sorry if this is TMI, but I've had intense vomiting/diahreah/stomach pain. I don't think I'm about to meet my maker, but it's also not a condition I'd want to board a cruise ship in. Has anyone ever had a dr's note rejected?

I've never asked for a note like this when being seen by a physician.

Sorry if this is TMI, but I've had intense vomiting/diahreah/stomach pain. I don't think I'm about to meet my maker, but it's also not a condition I'd want to board a cruise ship in. Has anyone ever had a dr's note rejected?

Very demanding, otherwise folks would say they were sick and not really be.

Contact NCL

They will give you a link to the insurance company

You will fill out and file a claim with the insurance company. You will need to be certified as unfit to travel for a covered reason by your doctor. Note, this is all between you and the insurance company,,,, nothing to do with NCL.

If your doctor is unwilling or unable to certify that you are unfit for travel for a covered reason (I.e., has to be more than you don't want to travel), the insurance company will turn down the claim.

At that point NCL will take over and you get the "cancel for any reason" benefit of a percentage toward a future cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read parts a, b, c of the contract quoted in post #2 and make sure the Dr includes that information.

Thanks for all the info so far. Another question.

I got the Platinum protection. It says if your cancellation isn't covered, you get a 90% credit back for future cruises, but there are restrictions on the use of that credit.

How does that work? Say I paid $1k for the cruise and got a $900 credit. I couldn't just use that full amount towards my next cruise?

Sorry to sound whiney, but I'm sick and stressed and sad.

"If youpurchased BookSafe Platinum Travel ProtectionPlan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Linecruise credit equal to 90% of the penalty amountimposed by Norwegian Cruise Line for use towarda future cruise. Certain restrictions on the use ofthese cruise credits may apply."

Do they treat these like CruiseNext credits? You can only use $250 at a time?

"If youpurchased BookSafe Platinum Travel ProtectionPlan, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Linecruise credit equal to 90% of the penalty amountimposed by Norwegian Cruise Line for use towarda future cruise. Certain restrictions on the use ofthese cruise credits may apply."

Do they treat these like CruiseNext credits? You can only use $250 at a time?

You have to use the entire amount one one future cruise.

But, you are mixing two different things. If you are deemed unfit for travel by your doctor and the insurance company validates the claim, they pay you cash.

If the insurance company does not pay you, NCL will give you a future cruise credit.

You have to use the entire amount one one future cruise.

But, you are mixing two different things. If you are deemed unfit for travel by your doctor and the insurance company validates the claim, they pay you cash.

If the insurance company does not pay you, NCL will give you a future cruise credit.

Right...I'm just gaming out my options in case my doc won't right me a note or my claim is denied.

You say you have to use the entire amount on one future cruise. Does that mean even if your future booking is less than the current credit, you can't use the remainder at a later point? If I get a 900 dollar credit, and my next reservation is 700, then that 200 disappears?

They can be VERY demanding...I was booked on a cruise in Feb and 3 days before departure, my Dad had a massive heart attack...the doc completed the forms that he was in critical condition, but they still wanted me to jump through hoops. Unfortunately, my dad passed away and the only thing that got them to pay up was a death certificate....

They can be VERY demanding...I was booked on a cruise in Feb and 3 days before departure, my Dad had a massive heart attack...the doc completed the forms that he was in critical condition, but they still wanted me to jump through hoops. Unfortunately, my dad passed away and the only thing that got them to pay up was a death certificate....

They didn't think a HEART ATTACK that put someone in critical condition was serious enough? Oh my word. That's unbelievable...and makes me think there's no way in hell they'd approve for what seems like a nasty stomach bug?

Very sorry to hear about your father.

They didn't think a HEART ATTACK that put someone in critical condition was serious enough? Oh my word. That's unbelievable...and makes me think there's no way in hell they'd approve for what seems like a nasty stomach bug?

Very sorry to hear about your father.

Was the dad scheduled to be on the cruise? Huge difference between you, the cruiser, is medically unable and you don't want to go because your family member is sick.

NCL won't let you board w the stomach virus anyway, this seems like it should be open and shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good morning,

I was scheduled for a cruise last fall; unfortunately, I had a cancer diagnosis in June and my doctor wanted me to start chemo right at the time I was scheduled to cruise. I too had the NCL insurance. Believe me, they make you jump through hoops! I had to give them all of my medical records back to February of last year, I had to have my oncologist fill out the medical portion, and I had to supply copies of all my statements showing what I had paid to NCL. By the time I had my package put together to send in, it was about 1 inch thick! It was a lot of work, but the folks at the insurance company were wonderful. Once I had sent everything in, I had my money back very quickly.

I had to use insurance twice. Once my Mom was diagnosed with cancer and sadly when my Dad was battling cancer. I was the primary caregiver for both. Dad was to travel with us. I had no issue completing the claim and providing all the information from the doctors. I was shocked that they even refunded onboard credit that I was getting as part of a promotion. Thankfully we were able to reschedule and Dad did make the Alaskan cruise... IV feeding and all, but sadly passed a few months later. NOTE You must complete the claim and get denied before they would provide you with a future cruise credit. Since you must complete a form on if you had the symptoms you have before boarding, I would think you would be covered. If you have a regular doctor, I don't see why they would not write you a note. Sorry you need to miss your cruise. BESURE you do cancel and are not a no show... if a no show you cannot file a claim.

Sorry that you are missing out on your cruise! Your symptoms sound like gastroenteritis, very painful stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. That should be a legitimate reason for bowing out. Good luck on the paperwork and your next cruise.

You need to go to Urgent Care TODAY! Easter Sunday and all. If you want your claim to be successful and then follow up with your own Doctor tomorrow.

If you go to the ship and truthfully state you have had diarrhea and vomiting in the last 48 hrs they will deny you boarding.

Right...I'm just gaming out my options in case my doc won't right me a note or my claim is denied.

You say you have to use the entire amount on one future cruise. Does that mean even if your future booking is less than the current credit, you can't use the remainder at a later point? If I get a 900 dollar credit, and my next reservation is 700, then that 200 disappears?

That's the way it was when we did a claim. We cancelled an alsoan cruise at the last minute for work. There was too much credit to use on a cheapy Caribbean cruise. We eventually rebooked Alaska.

You need to go to Urgent Care TODAY! Easter Sunday and all. If you want your claim to be successful and then follow up with your own Doctor tomorrow.

If you go to the ship and truthfully state you have had diarrhea and vomiting in the last 48 hrs they will deny you boarding.

Not to worry. The poster is a frequent flyer on this board and "participates" in many threads.

I stopped buying travel insurance through the cruise line years ago when I discovered that it is a secondary insurance and that they required you to file a claim with your homeowners insurance company and your credit card company, if you charged the trip before they would pay. That may not be true any longer but I don't take the chance.

By now you have probably decided what you are going to do but for anyone else curious about insurance

here is my experience. I was all set to go on an Alaska cruise I but came down with a

condition that required a long hospitalization and then recovery at home.This was after final payment. All I needed was for one of the doctors that saw me to fill in a form the insurance company supplied (I think I downloaded it) and there were no problems whatsoever. I was reimbursed within 2 weeks.