How to save some money...have 8 people sailing

Jajone

We have cruised as a family on DCL and Carnival. We are looking at Freedom of the Seas and possibly bringing our children's friends. I have the money saved and not looking for a debate on bringing the friends. I am just budget conscious and anywhere I can shave off the budget, the more fun things I can add on. The crew will include me, DH, DS11, DS16 and his friend, DD18 and her friend and DMIL. What is the best cabin option for our group price wise and where can I find the best deals? We are using a bunch of Southwest points for our flights. One of us is a senior. We will be sailing spring break next year and I know that will increase our costs, but it is a necessary evil with the kids schedules. Thanks in advance for anyone's advice!

You will need to check prices on both suites and multiple cabins. I'd opt for multiple, simply so that everyone doesn't have to be on top of each other ALL the time!

Spring break runs from March to May....every single school district breaks at different times!!

As for cabin configuration, that is completely up to you. If it was me, I'd probably get 3 rooms...have DD, friend and MIL in one, DS, DS and friend in another and you and DH in a 3rd. Having a DD17, I wouldn't want her going with a friend and sleeping in the same room with other male teens and my DH wouldn't feel comfortable being in a stateroom with someone else's teen daughter...but maybe thats just me. Interiors will be the cheapest. Another option is the Royal Family oceanview cabin with 2 bedrooms but I think the max is 6 and it only has 1 bathroom. The kids need to be in a room next to you or directly across from you which can be challenging and limit some options.

You really should use a TA. They can check inventory and room availability and give you all the options and maybe some you haven't thought of.

Freedom class has a great Promenade family cabin, which consists of a King bed (or two twin!), a double sofa bed and a set of bunk beds set in an alcove. Loads of space... That could work for you, DH, DS, DS and DS friend (provided two don't mind the sofa bed). Then your DD, DD friend and DMIL in a 2nd cabin. That way you satisfy an adult in each room and wouldn't mean your DS11 is having to hang with his older brother in a cabin away from you.

That is our Spring Break too (right before Easter). It is a prime week and will be more expensive than others...we too must follow kids school break so we will be on Harmony that week.

As for prices, RC sets the price and I think the TAs must use RC sale price. The difference may be other perks...some TAs will pay for gratuities, give extra OBC or other free stuff. One of the big box stores, typically offer a rebate of a "cash card". You really have to shop around the TAs and their perks to get a deal.

We are on Freedom the week before Easter, on the March 25 sailing (roll call here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2461660 ) It's pricey, but actually cheaper than the Indy five night the same week!

We helped some family up north book the same cruise and while they are a family of four, it was a good $500 cheaper to have a balcony room and the promenade across the hall than everyone in one balcony, so I'd suggest using a TA for your big group.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We are on Freedom the week before Easter, on the March 25 sailing (roll call here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2461660 ) It's pricey, but actually cheaper than the Indy five night the same week!

We helped some family up north book the same cruise and while they are a family of four, it was a good $500 cheaper to have a balcony room and the promenade across the hall than everyone in one balcony, so I'd suggest using a TA for your big group.

We booked this same cruise on Freedom while on the Indy. The inside cabins are really inexpensive right now

Thank You for this info. Do you have any suggestions for where I can find a TA well versed in RCI? This is the exact cruise we are looking at.

Thank You for this info. Do you have any suggestions for where I can find a TA well versed in RCI? This is the exact cruise we are looking at.

We're not allowed to list names of TA's on this site but you might consider calling the RCI 800 number to talk to an RCI rep. And be sure to join your roll call as the previous poster mentioned to chat with people going on the same cruise as you! They can provide you with lots of helpful info! We are taking our family on the Harmony this October and I can't wait! I booked my adult kids and their friends inside cabins (one a virtual balcony wall), and DH and myself are in the last aft boardwalk balcony overlooking the aqua theater! Awesome! Happy cruising to you and your family!:cool:

Edited by SilkySal
spelling

Yes, the TA we used was great. I'd love to mention her, but CC prohibits mentioning specific TAs. Shoot me a message--I'm on Tapatalk, and it says I don't have "permission" to contact you, lol.