Tipping on mediterranean cruise

jwatford

The crew has no problem converting USD to the local currency. Since the official currency on NCL is the USD it is always appropriate to tip in that currency. Euros are OK too, but avoid other local currencies.

I asked this week. They don't mind. A slight preference for Euros for the reason that a Euro is worth slightly more than a dollar.

It means using coins rather than notes, but I always collect a pocket full of coins whilst I'm out and about, so it's a good way of getting rid of those one Euro coins.

They don't expect it, as far as I know, but if you want to tip them, give them euros. At least as long as there is such a thing as euros, and as long as they are still used as currency in Italy… :cool:

If you only have dollars, they are still recognized as something of value, so I guess it's better than nothing. But nothing is OK, too.

As others have said, either is fine. I've done both. As far as porters, I haven't been successful in tipping them! They've taken my bags and before I could hand them a tip, they're gone. After haveing that happen on a couple European cruises, I no longer try. :)

That's because, unlike in the US, they don't expect it. I am just off the Epic and witnessed no tipping at all in any of the bars. Maybe it was because the ship was full, and staff just moved on quickly from one person to the next, but both passengers and staff seemed perfectly happy and at ease with the set up. I liked that about the ship.

I asked this week. They don't mind. A slight preference for Euros for the reason that a Euro is worth slightly more than a dollar.

It means using coins rather than notes, but I always collect a pocket full of coins whilst I'm out and about, so it's a good way of getting rid of those one Euro coins.

Thanks. This is really helpful.

We have always tipped in Europe

We give the baggage porters 5 euro (have it ready in hand). We tip the driver who takes us from airport to port.

And we tip crew in $$s - No matter which cruiseline we are on.

It is no different from anywhere else in the world - And yes - we have been on Epic in Europe and tips for sure were being handed over.

Tipping IS acceptable here in the UK too - Our staff (who earn more than minimum!) love and appreciate their hard earned tips - we don't take any of them.

I would need to receive awful poor service not to side tip on top of grats.

Share the love and all that ;)

That's because, unlike in the US, they don't expect it. I am just off the Epic and witnessed no tipping at all in any of the bars. Maybe it was because the ship was full, and staff just moved on quickly from one person to the next, but both passengers and staff seemed perfectly happy and at ease with the set up. I liked that about the ship.

Yes, that was my point, which I wasn't clear about! LOL. They don't expect it so they just grab your bags and turn. Even as I'm putting my hand out with the tip in it. Unlike in the U.S. where they pause and look at you when they come for your bag. :D