advice about inside cabins on sun princess

terry2

Hi all,

we are thinking about taking a cruise around New Zealand on the Sun Princess in November. Now my wife prefers to have an inside cabin on a low deck; so we are thinking about an IF or IC cabin on deck 5 or 6 (plaza or emerald). We would like to hear any information from people who have stayed in cabins in those areas about how they got on and (especially) if there are any to avoid.

Thanks in advance for your help. Terry

If you are leaving from an Australian port i would recommend getting as close to the middle of this ship as you can. The sea gets really rough on the crossing. We did NZ from Sydney on the Sun and had an IA cabin. I get terrible sea sickness so was glad we had the mid ship cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The low deck cabins are forward, and you may find that the advantage of being low down in the ship is counteracted by the disadvantage of being forward.

I've been on Sun a couple of times and had cabins midships. The first was a balcony on deck 10 (B502, a BA category), the second was an inside on deck 9 (C419, an IA category). I'd rather be slightly higher on the ship and midships so C419 proved to be a great cabin.

Note that most of the IA category cabins have a pulldown bunk on one wall. This does stick out a bit but we didn't find it a problem. It's best to have the beds in twin configuration in the inside cabins, otherwise you don't have bedside tables as the chest of drawers that fits between the beds in twin mode, is placed against one wall in queen mode. Plus there is very little space, if any, between the end of the wardrobe and the bed in queen mode.

While the Sun has many positive features, the cabins are not a strength. As mentioned by another poster, the only reasonable bed configuration in some cabins may be twin beds. Also, the size of an inside cabin ranges from 135 sq. ft. to 148 sq. ft. The 135 sq ft. cabin is teeny-tiny so choose wisely.

We have had IA rooms on Sun both times we've been on her and didnt have a bunk on the wall either time. We had queen bed configuration and i used my cabin bag suitcase as the 2nd bedside table. Worked ok to hold my ph and a book. We were on Baja deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had IA rooms on Sun both times we've been on her and didnt have a bunk on the wall either time. We had queen bed configuration and i used my cabin bag suitcase as the 2nd bedside table. Worked ok to hold my ph and a book. We were on Baja deck.

Only some of the Baja deck IAs have the bunk but all of the Caribe ones do, according to the deck plans.

I like to have a drawer next to the bed to put my meds and small items in.

I agree that with the others to choose twin beds for inside cabins on the Sun class ships. That is the biggest thing to make these cabins work.

We have been in inside cabins mid ship on the Sun, Sea and Dawn mid ship and have never had any problems with them. (We get seasick). I have never heard any noise from the white vacant areas (as shown on the deck plans) behind these cabins.

Just try to get a deck with cabins below and above it and a room not next to the laundry or lifts.

I have heard people with cabins at the front of the ship complain about noise from the anchor at tender ports but this probably was outside cabins.

These cabins are fine for a NZ cruise that is port intensive and you can't beat the price. Have a good cruise.

We have sailed Sun, Dawn & Sea a few times on deck 5. Its a great deck to be on, you can use the stairs for dining rooms, theatre and other areas on decks 6 & 7 and when you need to go to deck 12/14 getting the elevator from deck 5 is a breeze. We have the cabin in queen mode, its a bit squeezy but works ok. Like previous poster, we use cabin bag as extra bedside cabinet. We have had an inside way at the front and you can hear the anchor. Also that area moves quite a lot in rough seas. Would be better picking a cabin towards the elevator foyer. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the information.

I note that some people think we would be better higher and more central; however 'the boss' prefers a low down cabin, so that is what we will be choosing.

We have sailed Sun, Dawn & Sea a few times on deck 5. ... Would be better picking a cabin towards the elevator foyer. Enjoy your cruise!

OK we will look to be towards the elevators when we book. Just out of interest (nosiness) which cabins have you been in and on which ships?

Our first cruise was on Sea Princess which is a sister ship. We had the smallest inside cabin. Wow. I had to go outside to change my mind! Even though we had a tiny cabin we didn't know any better and had a great cruise that got us hooked. I remember walking down the corridor and seeing open cabin doors when the stewards were doing morning rounds and marveling at the sunshine in balcony cabins and the amazing size difference. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We love our inside cabin on Plaza level at the front of the Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess ships. So close for coffee or hot chocolate. And also quiet mostly at front. If in the first corridor at front you may hear some anchor noise when ship docks but that was only thing.

We have found the IC cabins - P318 on Sun on corner was a good shape cabin. Spent 46 nights there in 2011 and loved it so much we keep sailing on the Sun.

We sometimes book guarantees now and our next cruise if still at the front but on Dolphin Deck but that should still be ok. One place to avoid if you like nanna naps in afternoon is on Dolphin at back because you are over the Vista Lounge which is noisy in the afternoons but nights not a problem if you go to cabin after any show finished.

Have a great cruise no matter what happens.:D

Hi Terry,

I also prefer an inside cabin especially on deck 5. But, as other posters have mentioned, the inside cabins on the Sun is small and tight. I stayed in P332 (one of the the cabins with the notch in the front) and found it extremely uncomfortable. The notch takes a chunk of space from your otherwise small interior space. Try to get a cabin without the notch.

Hi all,

we are thinking about taking a cruise around New Zealand on the Sun Princess in November. Now my wife prefers to have an inside cabin on a low deck; so we are thinking about an IF or IC cabin on deck 5 or 6 (plaza or emerald). We would like to hear any information from people who have stayed in cabins in those areas about how they got on and (especially) if there are any to avoid.

Thanks in advance for your help. Terry

Hi Terry, Love the Sun and Love Plaza Deck. P314, 315 or 317 are good cabins. They are 148 sq ft and just around the corner from the Laundry. No noise from there, and always manage to get a machine as they serve a lot fewer cabins than the higher Decks. Spent 42 nights here on Cherry Blossom cruise. Perfect. . Just been on Sun in February to Islands and were in Cabin P231. Avoid like the PLAGUE!!!!! constant noise from Hydraulic doors [at least thats what Passenger Services said it was] I couldn't sleep for the first two nights. Timed the noise, it was every couple of minutes 24 hours a day!!! Walked around like a Zombie and said I would have to sleep in the lounges. Luckily people were put off in Noumea and we were able to move into their cabin. Plaza deck is so handy to everything. Cafe, Passenger Services and often the Deck that you go ashore from. Good Luck. Anjo.

Hi Terry, Love the Sun and Love Plaza Deck. P314, 315 or 317 are good cabins. They are 148 sq ft and just around the corner from the Laundry. No noise from there, and always manage to get a machine as they serve a lot fewer cabins than the higher Decks. Spent 42 nights here on Cherry Blossom cruise. Perfect. . Just been on Sun in February to Islands and were in Cabin P231. Avoid like the PLAGUE!!!!! constant noise from Hydraulic doors [at least thats what Passenger Services said it was] I couldn't sleep for the first two nights. Timed the noise, it was every couple of minutes 24 hours a day!!! Walked around like a Zombie and said I would have to sleep in the lounges. Luckily people were put off in Noumea and we were able to move into their cabin. Plaza deck is so handy to everything. Cafe, Passenger Services and often the Deck that you go ashore from. Good Luck. Anjo.

I've just had a look at the deck plan to locate cabins P314, P315 and P317 and see that the back of these cabins is next to the laundry. Good to know that these cabins are insulated enough so that you don't hear the washing machines and dryers. Thanks for the tip on cabins next to the laundry rooms on Princess.

Just a further bit of info: Even though we had the smallest inside cabin we did have the bed in the queen configuration. Yes, it was a tight fit but it worked. :)