princess shuttle japan

emmaasher

• 10 months later...

Are you asking if Princess will provide a free shuttle for you instead of you booking excursions in each port??

From what I have read from other cruisers once the ship docks you make your own arrangements(whether a ship's excursion, or a private one, or on your own with public transport) at each port.

We cruised Japan on Princess last summer. Princess offered shuttles from Narita, from the Metropolitan Hotel Ichebucharo (spelled wrong, I know) and from the airport that starts with an "H" to the cruise port. Sorry, I don't remember the cost. It is also quite easy to use the train system to get to the port IF you are able bodied and can handle your own luggage, and a lot cheaper...but you'll have a short walk from the train to the bus and from the bus to the terminal

There is a commercial company that offers bus transportation from Narita into various locations in Tokyo and runs every 30-45 minutes during the day. Again, fee was reasonable.

At many of the ports of call, the city offered a free shuttle either into the town or to the nearest rail station. These did not require a sign up, ran essentially a round trip during the day, and had no cost. These were NOT supplied by Princess, but by the town or city.

• 3 months later...

We are booked on a cruise around Japan in August. From what I read above, it seems there are free shuttles that will get passengers from each port where the ship docks to the nearest town/tourist area? We have not booked on any excursions so far and just plan to take a leisurely stroll on our own if possible (travelling with my elderly mum and do not want to rush around on a tour for hours). Will this work?

Also, we plan to take the princess shuttle from Yokohama back to Narita airport on disembark day and wondering if we can pick a later shuttle in the morning (our flight leaves in evening) or does all passengers for Narita just leaves at the same time (eg. 7 am etc..)

Appreciate any suggestions/comments.

@ jeffwinn--Which ports are you visiting?? I ask because you might want to read up on them to see where to "stroll". Some may be large cities where you cannot just walk to a sight you might want to see. You may miss the best parts if you just walk around in the immediate area where the shuttle leaves you.

Hi

When we cruised on Diamond Princess on the day of our disembarkation we took a Princess tour of Tokyo which took most of the day. Our luggage was transported to the airport for us and we picked it up from a Princess rep at the airport.

Great way to spend the last day and much better than just sitting around an airport.

Showers are available at the airport for a small fee and as it is Japan everything you need for the shower I see provided m awning we were refr she'd before our flight home.

We traveled to Japan with Princess in May. Shuttles in every port for a nominal fee. Be aware, some ports were a distance from the town or city on itinerary. May need a local bus, or train to get to them. E.g. Hiroshima. Some ports provided their own shuttles of dock.

Final day, Kobe, for us,an offer of a trip to Osaka to fill day up for evening flight.

All out of cabins for 8 am, the usual. Last off ship seemed to be about 10.30.am

Japan was wonderful, particularly Kyoto.

I recently went to Kochi, Beppu, Hiroshima, Busan and Kagoshima and the charge in Kochi and Hiroshima was $US10. They were no free shuttles by the local authorities in those ports. I had private arrangements in the other ports so cannot comment.

Edited by Cruisegroover
Left a sentence out

Thanks for the suggestions...

The ports where the ship docks (other than Yokohama) will be Shimizu, Kumano, Kochi, Busan and Yatsushiro in Japan.

More than 10 years ago when we were on an Asia cruise with Princess, if you didn't join any excursion and just want to explore on your own, there were free shuttles running at regular intervals at most ports and they will take passengers to a designated location in the city. You then go wherever you want on your own and just board the shuttle back to the ship later on. Not sure about this time with the ports mentioned above as it didn't say much on the website.

If we join the Tokyo excursion on disembark day, what time will we arrive at Narita airport? Princess website indicates tour hours are from 9am to 2:30pm. Does it mean it runs till 2:30 before the bus heads to the airport or will we arrive at the airport by 2:30pm? We want to make sure we have ample time to check in etc before our flight departure at 6pm.

Thanks...

Hi Jeff

Regarding the disembarkation day tour of Tokyo. I can't remember the exact details of times but the tour we went on still gave us loads of time at Narita airport. I think there were two tours one for those who had a departure after 4pm and another whose flight departure was after 6pm. I am sure this would be a good idea for you and you could book this tour when you get on the ship and Princess would put you on the correct tour depending on your flight times. Enjoy Japan.

We did two of your destinations in May with Princess. Kochi, which shuttle took you very close to town, markets and castle $10, and Busan a bus journey of at least 35 minutes as we docked in a vast container port some way from the huge sprawling city again $10. All Princess shuttles bar one charged$10 the other was $5. The final day tour to mop up the time was a special disembarkation tour ,tailored to fill your time ,yet get you to the airport on time.,was offered 2 days before the final day.

Thanks 'Bellagiio' and 'Littlewh' for the insights...

Do you think the last day excursion was worth it? Princess offered the disembark day excursion to Tokyo (visiting 2 shrines) and then take you to the airport afterwards...cost around C$140 per person. If taking the simple direct transfer from port to airport (no tour) will cost about $60 per person.

For the shuttle bus fare at each port ($5, $10 etc..), do we pay in USD or do we convert that into their local currency?

Port shuttles charged to your stateroom in dollars. You can settle this in cash or card at the end of cruise.

Is it worth the trip? Mmmm, will you have seen enough if this town?How hot/ rainy is it? How many castles or temples will you have seen.make your decision closer to the end of trip. Our cruise included free transfers to and from ship to airport. So $140 pp, seems a lot to me.

Google, using a Japanese toilet!! Most useful.

Port shuttles charged to your stateroom in dollars. You can settle this in cash or card at the end of cruise.

Is it worth the trip? Mmmm, will you have seen enough if this town?How hot/ rainy is it? How many castles or temples will you have seen.make your decision closer to the end of trip. Our cruise included free transfers to and from ship to airport. So $140 pp, seems a lot to me.

Google, using a Japanese toilet!! Most useful.

This made me laugh - so true! We miss the toilets [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I would make your own way- it’s very easy unless you are really tight for time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

We thought the last day tour of Tokyo well worth the money. We already had a transfer to the airport as part of our fare . Princess enabled us to just pay the difference for the disembarkation tour so our transfer was not wasted. We spent three days in Tokyo prior to out cruise and made sure we did not visit any of the places in the disembarkation tour. To us it was so much better than spending hours at Narita airport.

In our three days in Tokyo we used.

https://thebackstreetguides.com/

And cannot recommend them enough. Excellent communication prior to our tours in Tokyo , first class guides. We had our own guide for one day who showed us the real Tokyo and not just the tourist areas. We also joined an evening small group tour which took us to places we would never have seen on our own.