Plants and Flowers from another U.S. port?

Thank you for the responses, but some did not make logical sense in answering all my questions. But again, thank you.

I'll tackle the Walmart subject first. OK, you had to be looking at a South Florida search if you even found one of these plants at a Walmart. Secondly, you must know if you are a google searching expert that buying plants and flowers from a Walmart or Home Depot might be cheap, um, the quality is nothing like a true locally owned garden center. Finally, they are not "true" home grown naturally from the ground. Odds are they are some fusion with something else that a hybridizer made up and they will not look as good or die within a year. Thank you for the idea, but I have a horticultural degree from THE U.

As for some of the others, I know it might not be "ethical", but with the smuggling posts out there, would they really catch a plant going through the scanner? I understand it is a completely different topic than bringing alcohol back on the boat, but I never saw a topic on it. What do the scanners really pick up? We know glass bottles are a no no to sneak alcohol back on, but seriously, how could they xray a plant? I understand St John is a national park and it is probably illegal as well to pull vegetation out of there, but you do not understand. I REALLY LOVE THESE PLANTS AND WANT A NATURAL ONE! TRUE TO NATURE! And yes, I know the plant well so know if I have to dig up a small one it is fragile and might die, but there is even more to it. What if I dug up a 4 or 5 foot plant and the security guards tried to stop me getting on the boat? What would they do with this rare and precious plant? Think about it, what if you purchased an exotic animal from say Aruba, what would they do with the poor living soul within? Do proper authorities take it and make sure it lives a good life? Or do they just dump it into the sea like they do with our feces from those loud in cabin toilets?

I truly am being serious, but there were just some vague or not well thought out answers.

Also, am I looking at jail time if I try to get a plant on the boat? Need more info people, not some quick responses. Again, SERIOUS replies only from those that might know something from the cruise ship or legal field.

But thank you for trying.

Sorry to be so blunt but: Horticulture degree? It sounds like you may not have taken biology in high school.

Beyond the issue of whether something is an "invasive species" (for example, can you say Eucalyptus?), there is the critical issue of "hitchhiking" bugs and microbes. It's what you can't see on the plant (or in the sand or food items or anything else not inspected by agricultural authorities) that can decimate or even destroy a crop. Ever heard of Mediterranean Fruit Fly?

Try driving into California on any major interstate with that plant (regardless of where you purchased it). Those toll-booth-looking structures stretched across the roadway are Agricultural Inspection Stations and (like other ag dependent states like Hawaii), your "imported" plants (even just from another state) will be taken away.

Florida relies heavily on agriculture for its economic health. If it doesn't have ag inspection stations or personnel, that's no excuse to break the law and/or not exercise good common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP is a new poster and possible troll. I would suggest if the OP had a degree in Botany or Horticulture that they would know about basic protocol about the need for an inspection certificate from the Department of Agriculture of that State or Province to move a plant from one area to another. We have enough issues in CA with the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, Oriental Fruit Fly, Glassy Winged Sharpshooter, False Coddling Moth, European Grapevine Moth, Asian Citrus Physllid, Gypsy Moth, and dozens more. Job security for me, millions of dollars in loss to growers and to our parks and forests due to non-native invasive species hitchhiking in unknowingly or selfishly brought in for personal pleasure.

I truly am being serious, but there were just some vague or not well thought out answers.

I work federal maritime law enforcement and another person who responded to you on this thread is a chief engineer onboard ship, so let me make this crystal clear. Like you've been told over and over, the answer is no. If you try, they will catch it on a scanner and even if they don't, the agricultural inspectors and dogs will catch it, and you will be fined (heavily).

I love my 150 year old Night Blooming Cereus too. ( originally a wedding present to my great grandparents) it has been cut at least 30 times over the years and given to all the grandchildren and great grandchildren. if you are so desperate for a 'natural' plant, give me a year to recover mine from having to live in Texas for 2 years and you can stop by and I will give you a cutting. thankfully I do have new growth although one of the plants did not survive.

you claim to love it sooo much yet are willing to disturb an ecological protected area, break the law in a US Territory AND the Lower 48 and are aiming to also try and smuggle raw meat off the ship?!

you are quite possibly the best troll we have ever had

I love my 150 year old Night Blooming Cereus too. ( originally a wedding present to my great grandparents) it has been cut at least 30 times over the years and given to all the grandchildren and great grandchildren. if you are so desperate for a 'natural' plant, give me a year to recover mine from having to live in Texas for 2 years and you can stop by and I will give you a cutting. thankfully I do have new growth although one of the plants did not survive.

You know what just occurred to me...with a supposed horticultural degree, the OP couldn't keep the plant alive more than 10 years.

You can't even bring non certified plants home from Hawaii, on a flight. They're dumped in the garbage can.

No, you can't dig a plant out of a national park and bring it to the US aboard a cruise ship!

I don't know where your horticulture degree is from. I can tell you as a licensed Pest Control Advisor and Certified Crop Consultant with degrees in Plant Pathology and Entomology that importing plant or insect material is highly regulated, for really good reasons. If you need this plant, import it through legal channels.

I think this is a hoax. NO one could be this stupid.

Sadly, I have to differ with you. After several years of seeing statements, questions and answers posted here on CC, I have come to the conclusion that there is an almost infinite well of stupidity out there.

Perhaps there was just a finite amount of intelligence created at the instant the Big Bang brought our universe into being. As the human population continues to grow, that limited supply of intelligence becomes spread more sparingly - this would explain why, every year, new depths of stupidity are manifested.

Sadly, I have to differ with you. After several years of seeing statements, questions and answers posted here on CC, I have come to the conclusion that there is an almost infinite well of stupidity out there.

Perhaps there was just a finite amount of intelligence created at the instant the Big Bang brought our universe into being. As the human population continues to grow, that limited supply of intelligence becomes spread more sparingly - this would explain why, every year, new depths of stupidity are manifested.

LOL - good one!