Cruise ship is filled to capacity

sk8rmomof3

So my mother had her job next week cancel, so she last minute was going to see if she could get added to our trip as a surprise to the kids. Ship is filled to capacity. Darn it! They said to call back in a few days for any last minute cancellations. That would have been a GREAT surprise for the kids. Everything about this trip is a surprise.

Kids know we are cruising, but don't know when, where, what ship....NOTHING. They think we are driving....we are flying (Their first flight ever), we are going the day before so they can swim and we can start a day early. We are meeting my aunt down there who just moved a year ago to that area, so we will have dinner with her! Then to have my mother come on board would be the icing on the cake! So hopefully we can do something about that! We shall see in time.......

I tried to add her to our room. Problem is....once the life boats are filled, even if they have empty rooms, they can't see any more tickets on the boat. It goes by people, not rooms available. That's how it was explained to us last week when we added my husband's best friend. They said that they have rooms available, but the life boats are full.......

Ship capacity is controlled by the capacity of the lifeboats They also have life rafts in case not all lifeboats can be-lowered. The maritime law also requires that the life boats and life rafts on one side of the side can handle all the passengers and crew.

Ship capacity is controlled by the capacity of the lifeboats They also have life rafts in case not all lifeboats can be-lowered. The maritime law also requires that the life boats and life rafts on one side of the side can handle all the passengers and crew.

Uh, no. There are lifeboats for 100% of the passengers. There are a combination of lifeboats and liferafts equal to 125% of passengers and crew. In no way do those numbers add up to 100% of passengers and crew on each side. The law requires lifeboats and rafts to equal 50% of all souls onboard on each side. The additional 25% of rafts do not need to be stationed at either side, they can be stowed aft if convenient and brought to launching stations.

It's a little odd that there would be cabins available when they are still accepting 3rd/4th guests in cabins. Typically, when a ship approaches maximum (lifeboat) capacity of 3rd/4th guests, but there are still unoccupied cabins, they put a hold on 3rd/4th guest reservations to gain the extra revenue from having you book two cabins at double occupancy. The goal is all cabins at double occupancy, and then as many 3rd/4th guests as possible, but the primary is to fill all the cabins. Though it may be that the zone you are looking for a cabin in has filled its lifeboat.

Uh, no. There are lifeboats for 100% of the passengers. There are a combination of lifeboats and liferafts equal to 125% of passengers and crew. In no way do those numbers add up to 100% of passengers and crew on each side. The law requires lifeboats and rafts to equal 50% of all souls onboard on each side. The additional 25% of rafts do not need to be stationed at either side, they can be stowed aft if convenient and brought to launching stations.

It's a little odd that there would be cabins available when they are still accepting 3rd/4th guests in cabins. Typically, when a ship approaches maximum (lifeboat) capacity of 3rd/4th guests, but there are still unoccupied cabins, they put a hold on 3rd/4th guest reservations to gain the extra revenue from having you book two cabins at double occupancy. The goal is all cabins at double occupancy, and then as many 3rd/4th guests as possible, but the primary is to fill all the cabins. Though it may be that the zone you are looking for a cabin in has filled its lifeboat.

Good information as usual

Check several times every day. I scored space 2 dass prior on the NCL Sun in Nov. on a ship that was sold out. Some sort of cancellation came in, which I snagged with a 30 minutes hold, enough time to complete the booking. late in the afternoon, packed up and left, early the next morning. :)

Oh how exciting, I hope she can get on. Call daily in case something opens up.

Can she at least meet you all the day prior to spend some time with the family?

I'm going to call Monday and Wednesday then if still nothing, I'll give up. She needs to plan a flight and be able to prepare if she's going, so anything after that would be TOO last minute.

She lives here in Ohio with us, just 3 miles away. But it would be fun to at least vacation together. My mom travels for her job about 30 weeks out of the year, so we really don't see her that often. So it would be nice if she gets on.

HOWEVER, my aunt did move to Florida a year ago and we haven't seen her since. Her house is 36 minutes away from our hotel so they are going to meet us for dinner that night. Kids don't know. It'll be great!