GBR for non-swimmers - tour operator recommendations

I've been reading another thread about trips to the outer reef, but it was all about snorkelling and/or diving. We won't be doing either and so we are interested in the trips that go to a pontoon. Can anyone help with choosing ? We will be staying in Cairns in August.

When we were on holiday in Cairns a few years ago we had a trip out to GBR on the Quiksilver catamaran from Port Douglas. We were picked up at our hotel in Cairns by bus and taken to Port Douglas(I assume it was quicker to be bussed to PD first than sail from Cairns?). Quiksilver docked at her own large pontoon on Agincourt reef. We were there for a few hours. There was a glass bottom boat, fish feeding, buffet lunch, talks I think, just relaxing and enjoying the views and of course snorkeling and diving. My husband doesn't swim but was quite happy with his time on the pontoon.

We recently cruised up the Qld coast and saw the Quiksilver catamarans in PD harbour. There were also GBR boats in the port at Cairns but I have no idea how far out thry went. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.

Anne

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

The pontoon on Hardy Reef in the Whitsundays has a large underwater room to view the reef, but I am not sure if any pontoon off Cairns has a similar facility so non-swimmers can view the reef. If there isn't such an underwater room, there is not much point in going out to a pontoon. Glass-bottom boats are a poor substitute, but if you are 'definite' non-swimmers, that would be an option.

From Cairns there are trips to Green Island where you can see coral and fish etc from a glass-bottom boat. There are also a few other attractions on the island to fill in your day. Green Island isn't the Outer Reef, but it might be the best option for you.

As this is likely to be our only chance to get to the outer GBR, we're not interested in any other trips. I have seen Quicksilver, Sunlovers, Reef Magic and Great Adventures mentioned, all going to the outer reef and with pontoons.

Has anyone any first-hand experience?

As this is likely to be our only chance to get to the outer GBR, we're not interested in any other trips. I have seen Quicksilver, Sunlovers, Reef Magic and Great Adventures mentioned, all going to the outer reef and with pontoons.

You will have to check if the pontoons have facilities for non-swimmers to see the reef. It isn't much good getting off a catamaran and stepping onto a pontoon if it does not have an underwater viewing room or if there is a semi-submersible. If it is the latter, you have to hope it is operating the day you go.

P.S. On checking further, it appears that both Quicksilver and Reef Magic go to pontoons where there is an underwater viewing room and there is also a semi-submersible. Looks good.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We have been to the pontoons a couple of times. I am sure you will have a good day even if you dont get into the water. But do think about having a small snorkel. They have many things to help non swimmers, life jackets, noodles etc. My husband and I have helped non swimmers have a small snorkel and they have really enjoyed it. Just give it a little try, you will get lots of help, and if you dont like it thats ok too, just enjoy your day. (and bring your bathers just in case;p)

We've been out with Quicksilver and Reef Magic. I wouldn't go out with Quicksilver again because there are just too many people. Reef Magic has a pontoon about the same size as Quicksilver's but with half the people - we'd happily go with them again.

We've been out with Quicksilver and Reef Magic. I wouldn't go out with Quicksilver again because there are just too many people. Reef Magic has a pontoon about the same size as Quicksilver's but with half the people - we'd happily go with them again.

There was a lot of people with quicksilver (over 200) and they catered for it well but if they have similar activities and prices, less people would be better.