Visas for Cambodia/Vietnam - your expertise needed

Hello Fellow CC'ers,

Just booked a January 2018 cruise on the Volendam and two countries it visits on the itinerary - Cambodia and Vietnam - require Visas for US Citizens. Wondering what everyone else's experience is with this - I think I have read somewhere that you can obtain the Visas on the ship for both countries or you can obtain them yourself pre-cruise - has anyone had experience with this and can give me some idea about which is the better way to go cost wise?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

thru the HAL website: visacentral.com/additional-client-info

HAL Travelers

Holland America Line is pleased to offer its customers the expertise and experience of VisaCentral. Please see below for important information that may relate to your tour.

Visas On Board: If your segment visits Australia**, Vietnam, Cambodia, Gambia, Ghana, Indonesia, Myanmar, Egypt, Oman, Jordan, or Senegal, Holland America Line can obtain your on arrival visas on your behalf if you are arriving into that port on the ship. Additional charges will be posted to your shipboard account. Please note that some nationalities may not be able to obtain visas on arrival for Australia.

We were just on the Volendam in February and March, making 4 stops in Vietnam and one in Cambodia. As long as you enter Vietnam on the ship, the ship can arrange your visa. Holland charged $63 dollars each for the Vietnam Visa (versus $130 for a multi-entry one through the consulate in Houston). For the Cambodian visa, we were charged $55 each. Since Holland has your passport info, they complete the paperwork and provide you a form to sign for the Visa--very painless.

Very important point made in the previous post. If you are arriving by ship into Cambodia and Vietnam then the ship can get you the visas. We were on this trip this past Feb/March. We took a ships 3 day/2 night tour and flew back into Vietnam. If you fly into the country you have to get your own visa. We used a visa service for our Vietnam and China visas. One other point if you use a service. They will request a copy of your itinerary. They were unaware that we were flying into Vietnam the nite before the ship arrived. (my fault) Therefore, my Visa was dated for entry a day late. Luckily, we arrived about 11PM and they let me into the country with no problem. The Vietnamese guys at the airport thought it was funny that I was a basket case so they were hysterical laughing. They were making jokes in barely understandable English. Everyone's a comedian!!

Helen

We were just on the Volendam in February and March, making 4 stops in Vietnam and one in Cambodia. As long as you enter Vietnam on the ship, the ship can arrange your visa. Holland charged $63 dollars each for the Vietnam Visa (versus $130 for a multi-entry one through the consulate in Houston). For the Cambodian visa, we were charged $55 each. Since Holland has your passport info, they complete the paperwork and provide you a form to sign for the Visa--very painless.

Do you need passport pictures and if so how many? Thanks

We entered both countries by land. We arranged our Vietnamese visa through a travel agency in Siem Reap, Cambodia. It took two days. The cost was much less than sending our passport to a Vietnam embassy in North America (they charge for the Visa and for the service-the service charge varies). Vietnam visa costs vary depending on where you obtain one (embassy, TA, etc), your citizenship, and whether you require single or multiple entries.

We did not require a photo for Vietnam.. We obtained a Cambodian visa when we flew into the country. Simply got it at the airport. They took a picture. Cost was $45. last year.

Both visas are in the form of a full passport page sticker that was placed in our passport.

Getting through the formalities and entering either country was very straight forward. Shorter lines and faster than we experience entering Canada or USA by automobile.

The Vietnam Visa we got on board (through Holland) was a single-entry. It had a "valid from" date and "until" date on it. Each time we got off the ship, Vietnamese authorities stamped the back. It was my understanding that because once the ship entered Vietnamese waters, it didn't leave until after stopping at the 4 Vietnamese ports, the single entry was sufficient.

The Vietnam Visa we got on board (through Holland) was a single-entry. It had a "valid from" date and "until" date on it. Each time we got off the ship, Vietnamese authorities stamped the back. It was my understanding that because once the ship entered Vietnamese waters, it didn't leave until after stopping at the 4 Vietnamese ports, the single entry was sufficient.

Thank you

The fees quoted above, $63 USD and $55USD are approximately what we paid for one month single entry Vietnam and a Cambodian visa.

But for Vietnam there are some variable. Seems to me that Brits and Ozzies either don't pay or don't pay as much. Plus, the rates do seem be changing. It definately costs more to obtain the visa at a Vietnam NA embassy plus you need to mail or courier your passport if there is no embassy or consulate in your location.

Each of the visas took up an entire page in our passport.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...